Author Topic: On Eskrima Competition Formats...  (Read 10851 times)

Anonymous

On Eskrima Competition Formats...
« on: June 11, 2003, 09:57:38 AM »
Hello All,

This is a question regarding the various sparring competition formats found in FMA today.

Aside from the ultra-hardcore DB approach, there appears to be two other formats for sparring in FMA, which were described by Krishna K. Godhania in his essay, "Combative vs. Competitive Eskrima", which was published in Mark Wiley's Arnis: Reflections on the History and Development of the Filipino Martial Arts:

1.  The first format uses comparatively little protection (Full-contact eskrima headgear and gloves), and features a padded stick which is supposed to represent a heavy stick or sword.  Because of the weapon representation, "points are awarded to the first strike that lands".

2.  The second format features full body armor, and the competitors frequently use the lightest sticks possible, since the bouts are scored according to how many blows one can land on the opponent.  This makes for some dramatic-looking exchanges, but it is highly unrealistic, since the fighters are taking blows that they would never take in a real engagement (I believe the Dog Brothers started as a result of dissatisfaction with such competitions).

Now, here are my questions:

A.  Are there any DB groups in the NJ area?

B.  Are there any competitions held using the first format (FC eskrima headgear and gloves w/padded stick) in the NJ area?

I ask these questions because I have no interest in the full-armored fights--that sparring format strikes me as totally ridiculous, as nobody considers defense at all.  I have sparred under several variations of these rules at my school--sometimes takedowns are allowed, and sometimes they aren't, and, either way, I fail to see the merit of this format.  I'm really interested in the minimalist format, since it is not quite as extreme as the DB approach, and yet still emphasizes eskrima's defensive aspects.  Any info and/or input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

David Black Mastro

Spadaccino

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 10:00:42 AM »
Oops!  Forgot to login yet again... :roll:
"And the rapier blades, being so narrow and of so small substance, and made of a very hard temper to fight in private frays... do presently break and so become unprofitable." --Sir John Smythe, 1590

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 10:13:39 PM »
Dog Russ Iger runs a training group in NYC.

I've also heard good things about the Atianza group. I think the address is Atienzakali.com.

Spadaccino

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 06:44:44 PM »
Quote from: guest
Dog Russ Iger runs a training group in NYC.

I've also heard good things about the Atianza group. I think the address is Atienzakali.com.

Thank you!

Anybody else with info?
"And the rapier blades, being so narrow and of so small substance, and made of a very hard temper to fight in private frays... do presently break and so become unprofitable." --Sir John Smythe, 1590