Author Topic: Ceasing Smoking  (Read 11684 times)

Greenman

• View Profile
    • http://www.blankfacerecords.com
Ceasing Smoking
« on: April 11, 2005, 06:35:24 PM »
After 10 years of countless dollars wasted on tobacco and ill-effects to my health, I've decided to quit.  I'm trying to get my body in shape again and finally found the strength (for now) to quit.  Does anybody have any tips?  I was hooking up cable service to TV's at work and started shaking uncontrollably, I've been dripping sweat all day and have felt like I'm at the breaking point!  With the money I would've spent on smokes I'm planning on investing in MA dvd's and equipment.  That's my main motivation, plus not ending up minus one lung like my dad.  Just wondering if anyone who used to smoke has any suggestions????
the way OUT is THROUGH

buzwardo

• Power User
    • View Profile
Aversion Therapy
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 09:56:01 PM »
When I quit 15 years ago or so I bought a gallon glass cider jug, filled it with cigarette butts, topped it off with water, put the cap on, and set it in the middle of my apartment. Every time I started jonesing for a smoke I'd look at the jug, imagine taking the cap off, and drinking a big slug from it. Revolting, but it worked.

Good luck!

Glenn

• View Profile
ceasing smoking
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 01:11:17 AM »
Hello Mr. Greenman,

Great suggestion from Mr. Buzwardo!  I quit cold turkey eleven years ago and never felt better than ever!  It was soon thereafter when I had willfully quit smoking forever  (april 24 will be my 11th year anniversary) I invested some of my hard earned money to buy a sturdy mountain bike and a few months after that joined a healthclub.  I started to jog/run every other day and cycled around the  surrounding local Los Angeles mountains and gave my lungs some treatment.  I felt by doing this and some encouragement amongst some very positive supportive non-smoking people I was able to focus my energy toward an everlasting life long activity including training in martial arts to satisfy that high we used to feel when we inhale that nicotine.  I found through this experience partaking in this kind of cardiovascular activity ( mountain biking, jogging, running, swimming, weight training, martial arts, stick sparring, kickboxing, etc.) I was able to get that high and euphoric feeling much greater than inhaling nicotine.  

Best of Luck!

Glenn[/b]

EdwardsNH

• View Profile
Ceasing Smoking
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 06:07:50 AM »
Fortunately, I never started, but I just wanted to say Good Luck!

rharbers

• View Profile
Ceasing Smoking
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 08:06:58 AM »
Cold Turkey is the way.  Some folks are having success using the pads or the gum.  But that is just two other forms of nicotine.  I had to quit because of high blood pressure.  That is a motivator.  Try walking daily and increase until you get to 3 miles.  LifeSavers helped me get off devil bullets.  Try them!
An ordinary man thinks only on the surface.

Ronald R. Harbers

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Ceasing Smoking
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 08:26:58 AM »
I too have nver smoked but from what I hear the mental part of quiting is worse than they physical part; stay strong!

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

buzwardo

• Power User
    • View Profile
Crutches
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 10:33:40 AM »
Mr. Gruhn is right about the mental part. Not smoking any given cigarette isn't the hard part; not smoking every cigarette is where it gets rough. Think about the times when you automatically light one and then come up with something else to do in its place. Every time I got in the car I'd burn one, after meals, whenever stepping outside, instead of beating the snot out of someone who desperately needed it, and so on. My crutch became pretzel rods; could still do cylinder in hand to mouth kind of stuff you do with cigarettes so it let me keep some of those little rituals.

Again, good luck!

Greenman

• View Profile
Ceasing Smoking
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 06:28:51 PM »
thanks to all!  great suggestions.  Today was better and I've been eating sour jelly beans and m&ms all day. If I get fatter I'll just work it off after I've succeeded in quitting.  I ordered Matt Furey's 'Combat conditioning'  I've heard some positive things, even though his site is very hype-oriented.  I calculated that @ about $6.00 per pack, pack a day, I was spending over $120.00 monthly on deathsticks.  I'll take that knowledge and keep in mind that could be a car payment or a new Benchmade knife for my collection every month!   Again thanks for the support, it helps that my girlfriend quit 2 years ago and hasn't allowed me to smoke indoors since then.   All good ideas, thanks for responding, here goes day 4.
the way OUT is THROUGH

Glenn

• View Profile
Non smokers Rule!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 11:15:34 PM »
Hello Mr. Greenman,

Congratulations on your 5th day!  I thought I'd offer you more support because I know what it felt during those critical few weeks after quitting.  I started to examine cross sectional images (cat scans) of human cadeavors who had a prolonged history of cigarette smoking.  The images I seen were very disturbing.  I didn't realize what smoking can do not only the destruction of your lung alveoli but also  all over your body!  Ever since I willfully quit smoking 11 years ago and after investigating the many terrible things cigaratte smoking can do to the human body and the second hand smoke can do to others I decided to forever maintain peak physical , mental, spiritual fitness.  During the times when I felt after cessation I always thought of this huge gigantic ball pushing up to the top of a mountain...It was a struggle, and I always thought that there were many of them on sight (the urge to smoke) and I thought if I were overcome them through martial arts I would conquer them all for life.  One of my deepest goals is to reach 100 years young and still fight for the good fight.

Best of luck again!

Glenn

Greenman

• View Profile
Ceasing Smoking
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 06:24:45 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the ideas and kind words.  I'm doing ok with the help of lots of candy and willpower.  I keep thinking that with the money I'll have saved by not smoking, I'll soon be able to order some DB dvd's!
the way OUT is THROUGH

French Cat

• View Profile
Ceasing Smoking
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 10:03:53 AM »
Hi Greenman,

here's another advice:

everytime that you'll feel that you need to smoke, do some push-ups (say 10 or 15, perhaps 20 but not more), this worked very well when my best friend wanted to stop smoking ;)

good luck, and good courage !

Greenman

• View Profile
Ceasing Smoking
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2005, 03:35:47 PM »
I've hit day#14 and feel good, used Skoal "apple blend" chew for a few days.  It's surprisingly tasty, but it's just as bad or worse as smokes!  Switched to nicotine gum now!  I average about 3 pieces daily and when it runs out I'm switching to regular gum ie:'eclipse' or 'dentyne' or something.  My lung capacity is incredible, feels like it's doubled!  Thanks to all for the support and suggestions.  When I spend time on FMA inspired stick sparring (medium contact, no pads, avoid face and groin) with my pal who smokes, we have to take breaks so he can catch his breath, while I'm ready to go!
the way OUT is THROUGH

RYO9

• View Profile
Ceasing Smoking
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 03:02:42 PM »
i MAY HAVE NEVER SMOKED, BUT ME, MY DAD AND HIS DAD ARE THE ONLY GUYS IN MY FAMILY WHO DON'T AND NEVER DID. I'VE SEEN IT ALL AND HAVE MULTIPLE FAMILY MEMBERS WHO CHEW. AND BELIEVE ME DON'T DO THAT! IT ONLY MAKES THINGS WORSE. THE GUM IS A GOOD IDEA AND THE PATCHES ARE SUPPOSED TO WORK. ANY WAY DON'T GIVE UP, YOU'VE MADE IT TOO FAR TO GO BACK.

MULLINS
"ABSORB WHAT IS USEFUL. REJECT WHAT IS USELESS. AND ADD THINGS THAT ARE SPECIFICALLY YOUR OWN."

Greenman

• View Profile
Ceasing Smoking
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 09:21:34 PM »
Still smoke free- you guys rule!  The chew is gone and so's the nicotine gum.  I'm relying on a costco size pack of eclispe!  It's nice to have a habit that doesn't make me stink any more than I do already.
the way OUT is THROUGH

French Cat

• View Profile
Ceasing Smoking
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 10:40:04 AM »
glad to see you're now smoke-free Greenman, it seems your efforts have been efficient :)

Greenman

• View Profile
Ceasing Smoking
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2005, 08:17:46 AM »
YES!  Again, many thanks to those who've posted!  I just hit day 21, or 22? It doesn't matter at this point, what does is that I'm comfortable living without nicotine as my master.  The gum works pretty well, surprisingly.  I really had to give my willpower a swift kick though.  I feel stronger because of this and have been concentrating my energy trying exercises in Matt Furey's "Combat Conditioning".  If you can get past his silly "in your face HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE" style of advertising, this stuff is pretty cool.  I had trouble initially with Hindu Squats because of past foot surgeries (resection of subtalar coalition,  achilles extension +more) but every try it gets easier.
the way OUT is THROUGH