Author Topic: MMA Thread  (Read 566740 times)

ObiJuan

• View Profile
Re: MMA Thread
« Reply #400 on: October 01, 2009, 01:06:21 PM »
I had previously sensed substantial substance to Kimbo (I saw a couple of interviews a couple of years ago wherein he wasn't simply being marketed as the ultimate scary ghetto negro) but last night was something else.

What a great soap opera this season is turning into!

Woof Guro Crafty !!! :)

I missed you when you were here in Texas, hope to either head over there or hopefully for you to make a return back to TX.  But I wanted to ask you what your take was on the match between McSweeney and Shivers, do you think McSweeney won all three rounds or were the judges watching a different match ?

Take Care my friend :)

- J
"If you had to fight for your life tomorrow...
...Would you change the way you train today?"

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

CrazyCossack

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 07, 2009, 07:57:27 PM »
Any word on this guy?

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/09/15/5x-worlds-strongest-man-mariusz-pudzianowski-set-for-mma-debut/

I'm not sure about his technical fighting ability but the dude is a BEAST.  One of the, if not the most successful and decorated strongman competitors ever but also athletic in a way that many of them are not.  While he wasnt always the strongest (straight brute strength) he was always quicker, more agile, had better endurance and just overall more athletic than most of the guys.  He didnt weigh as much as the rest of his competition but he had all of these extra gifts. And even though he might not have had the most brute strength he was usually second or third in that category as well.

I'd compare him to brock lesnar in the same way that he's got insane strength and athleticism, although Pudz is probably stronger and a little bit less athletic.

If he can fight, actually even if he can't fight, he'll most likely do very very well.

ARNISAMANITA

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 08, 2009, 02:21:42 PM »
10?? deceduti.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
« Reply #404 on: October 22, 2009, 02:18:02 PM »
woof all:

ufc 104 this sat. forum member bedens' votes are in (kickinthefamily) as well as mine. please join us and forum member Chad in our ufc fantasy league.

should be good fight 'tween lyoto machida and mauricio rua.
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 22, 2009, 06:07:57 PM »
Go Lyotto!!!

Jonobos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 23, 2009, 08:54:16 PM »
Any word on this guy?

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/09/15/5x-worlds-strongest-man-mariusz-pudzianowski-set-for-mma-debut/

Back when I had cable I used to watch those strong man competitions. That guy was inspiring to say the least! If I recall correctly he does have previous martial arts experience. I can't recall off the top of my head what it was exactly, but I do remember thinking "jesus I would hate to be in a fight with that guy!" :P
When life gives you lemons make lemonade
When life gives you hemlock, do NOT make hemlockade!

Rarick

« Reply #407 on: October 24, 2009, 04:28:44 AM »
Any word on this guy?

Back when I had cable I used to watch those strong man competitions. That guy was inspiring to say the least! If I recall correctly he does have previous martial arts experience. I can't recall off the top of my head what it was exactly, but I do remember thinking "jesus I would hate to be in a fight with that guy!" :P

He has people's attention.  It will be interesting to see how he develops.  One thing that has been evident watching the UFC is that a lot of muscle= limited endurance.  Can he retain all that strength and muscle and still win a long fight?  The other question is What kind of athelete is he really.  does he have the ability to do all terrain and sprint, or is he strictly a monster truck car crusher type and only capable of doing strength feats?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 24, 2009, 04:40:28 AM »
I love it when questions are presented of/by archetypes.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 28, 2009, 05:23:22 AM »
The following effort to drum up business showed up in my email box this AM.  The subject matter is interesting, but I have no idea as to whom these folks are or the veracity of the contents.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hart, King & Coldren
A Professional Law Firm
Providing Legal Services to the Mixed Martial Arts and Apparel Communities

CAMO Presents Report at California State Athletic Commission Meeting

As an interested member of the MMA community, I attended the California State Athletic Commission meeting on Monday, October 26, 2009 to monitor the progress of the commission’s delegation of its oversight authority for mixed martial arts to the not-for-profit organization CAMO (California Amateur Mixed Martial Arts Organization).  CAMO presented its first quarterly report to the commission at the meeting.

CAMO assured the commission that its website www.camo-mma.org would be up and running about the time of the October 26, 2009 meeting.   CAMO indicated the site would include a full list of rules and regulations, the ability to sign up and get licensed, the ability to search for fighters and promoters who have created a profile, official’s records, and would list official amateur MMA and Pankration fight results and records. As of today, the website is still not fully functional.

CAMO told the commission that it's in the process of obtaining official 8 ounce gloves and rash guards to be used in competition by all amateur MMA fighters. The commission granted CAMO’s request to use 7 ounce gloves temporarily, until the 8 ounce gloves are ready.

Finally, CAMO told the commission it should be ready to oversee amateur events in November 2009, and has tentatively set its first Pro-Am event for late November 2009.

We encourage all members of the MMA community to closely watch the newly formed amateur division of the sport which includes not only the participants in the amateur events, but also the promoters, fighters, and others involved in the professional side as well.  The integrity of the sport deserves everyones attention.

Hart, King & Coldren is a law firm dedicated to serving the legal needs of the mixed martial arts inindustry. Our practice focuses on contract disputes, civil litigation, brand and product licensing, intellectual property protection, commercial transactions, and compliance with California licensing and regulatory agencies.  We can help your business resolve legal issues quickly and efficiently. 

Please call me at 714-432-8700 or email jmarlo@hkclaw.com for a free initial legal consultation. 

Sincerely,

Jock Marlo, Esq.

drammel

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 03, 2009, 07:02:35 AM »
Big fights this weekend on CBS. Fedor vs Rogers and Miller vs Shields, should be fun to watch.

MHouston

• View Profile
    • The Training Mat
« Reply #411 on: November 03, 2009, 08:39:44 AM »
A friend of mine runs grappling tournaments all of the time and used to run Pankration until the commission stepped in. He told me about CAMO and said what he has seen it looks good. You will have to register as an amateur with full physical and blood test. It will be all of the rules in MMA minus the knees and elbows to the head. I have no clue who the lawfrim is and what they have to do with it.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Lesnar ill
« Reply #412 on: November 16, 2009, 03:24:19 PM »
UFC Heavyweight Champ Brock Lesnar Facing Serious Health Crisis

Posted Nov 14, 2009 8:35PM By Michael David Smith (RSS feed)

Shortly after Saturday's UFC 105 card in Manchester, England, concluded, UFC
President Dana White revealed that his promotion's heavyweight champion, Brock
Lesnar, is suffering from serious health problems and will not be able to
fight any time soon.

tweetmeme_source = 'FanHouse';

"He's in rough shape, he's in really bad shape," White said, according to the
Canadian Press. "He is not well and he is not getting any better. ... He's
very, very sick and he's going to be out for a while. He's got a lot of
problems. ... He's got mono and he's got something else wrong with him.
I know what's wrong with him, he just doesn't want me talking about it."

White didn't say exactly what is wrong with Lesnar, although he did specify
that it is not cancer or AIDS. The UFC had previously said Lesnar was
suffering from mononucleosis, but his illness is apparently more serious than
that.

Lesnar had been scheduled to defend his title against Shane Carwin on Nov. 21.
When he first started to feel sick, the UFC tentatively re-scheduled the
Carwin bout for Jan. 2. But it will likely be long after Jan. 2 before Lesnar,
who won the undisputed heavyweight title by defeating Frank Mir at UFC 100, is
ready to fight again.

White made room for the possibility of putting together a fight for an interim
heavyweight title while Lesnar is sidelined, although it's not clear who would
participate in that fight. Carwin is reportedly sidelined with a knee injury,
while another top UFC heavyweight, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, is reportedly
battling a staph infection.

The Lesnar illness is the worst piece of news yet in an autumn that has been
full of bad news for the UFC. Champions Lyoto Machida, Anderson Silva and
Georges St. Pierre have all battled injuries, and one of the promotion's most
marketable stars, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, says he is quitting the UFC to
pursue an acting career. Even on a day when it had a successful show in
England, the UFC is going through a rough patch.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 16, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »
second post:

Am I the only one repulsed by the "you pussy" pressures being brought to bear on the fighter concerned about having taken some brain damage?

Also, pretty excremental level of conditioning-- particularly this far into the seaon.

Go Big Baby!

Go Kimbo!

Rarick

« Reply #414 on: November 16, 2009, 07:02:49 PM »
his same fighter has been doing drama and stuff about "injuries" in earlier episodes.  I don't know, they should just be leaving him space tho' until the doctors decision is given.  I do not think the guy is going to make it tho' he seems fragile  the shoulder, a knee and now the probably real head.........

I am kind of rooting for baby darkness.  Although he has NFL time his is also showing that he has skills aside from just being Big.  Makes the mats all slippery tho' :-D

As for Brock He has a real nasty intestinal infection, unknown if he will even be back to fight.  Las Vegas Review Journal this morning.

Edit: to update from newspaper article.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:51:24 AM by Rarick »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 18, 2009, 07:24:18 PM »
The mystery surrounding Brock Lesnar's illness has been cleared up a bit. The UFC heavyweight champion is suffering from a bacterial infection in his intestinal tract, though it looks like he may be released from the hospital soon.

"He's in stable condition and should be released soon," UFC president Dana White said.

White said he spoke with Lesnar on Monday, but he wouldn't reveal which hospital Lesnar was currently being treated at because he wanted to protect his privacy.

White also said he is encouraging Lesnar to check into the renowned Mayo Clinic in Minnesota for further treatment, but still doesn't know if Lesnar will fight again.

"It depends on how serious this is," White said.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 18, 2009, 10:32:01 PM »
I think he is just waiting for that "Test Supp" To leave his system and he timed it wrong

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 18, 2009, 10:33:29 PM »
I was looking at that big polish guy and on one of those pics he has pimples on his arm. Thats a big sign for Test as well. When I was on Test Supp I would get those pimples as well.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 19, 2009, 01:27:23 AM »
Interesting theory Maxx.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 19, 2009, 08:32:37 AM »
Most of these guys have either tried or on something. You can tell with a few of them. Some body builders go though this process called Bleeding. They do gear all the way up into a point and have dialysis and have something else done. This cleans out the blood and they test neg for Test.

UFC as of late has been hurting with fighters, The new season of UF and then their number 1 drops out for 105,106?

I am not saying this is the case with Brock using test but the timing is right. You need about that long of time for it to clear your system.

I would like to just clear one thing up about Test Supps. There are all types of gear out there not just ones that boost your  Strength  and power. There are some that boost your Speed, Agility, Resistance to pain, Cut your body fat out, make certain muscle in your body explode with power and the list goes on.

anyways. I can say I am almost certain that most fighters still use Pro Hormones. Pro Hormones are still very much legal. I remember a add that Rob Mccullen did for a Prohornone supp and pro hormones are just legal designer steroids with a cute name

Rarick

« Reply #420 on: November 21, 2009, 08:10:25 AM »
It is Simple Dana would not tolerate that.  Josh barnett got caught for a second time, I doubt he will ever fight in the UFC again.   Brock Lesnar probably has done some steroids, he is clean now.  The way the WWE is he may have done them just to get the healing factor for the show schedule.  UFC has to comply with atletic commission rules, and that means that cuts result in suspensions from fighting for fighters.  That is part of the reason the UFC has so many fighters on contract.

taoist-engineer

• View Profile
Re: MMA Thread surf dogs UFC judging
« Reply #421 on: November 23, 2009, 02:46:58 PM »
Big heated discusion on the underground about Lester Griffin's judging of the  Tito Forest fight
He scored it 30-27 for Forest which the way I saw it but the discussion brought up qualifications

Anyone care to share Lesters qualifications as a judge
Just Curious as I recall he puts the old in "Old School" MMA fighting

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 23, 2009, 03:18:25 PM »
URL?

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 23, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »
 i saw the thread guro C. wish i could find it to post the URL(even if i could i'm not sure how to post the link). the heading was something like "judge who scored fight 30-27 was a dog brother''. didn't really say anything negative about surf, or dog bros. i think the guy who made the thread was saying if this guy, this dog brother, doesn't have a good hold on criteria for judging combat sports how are they(the athletic commission) gonna be able to outline good standardized judging criteria.

i haven't watched the griffin/ortiz fight(i was in disneyland) but it seems almost a unanimous opinion that tito won the 2nd round. for surf to have the fight 30-27 says he saw something different in the 2nd.

Francisco
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 05:45:19 AM by Sisco T. »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 23, 2009, 10:35:29 PM »
Thank you Francisco.

MHouston

• View Profile
    • The Training Mat
« Reply #425 on: November 24, 2009, 12:26:49 PM »
I found a similar blog that Talked about Surf dog and they even mention the Dogbrothers.
http://www.cagepotato.com/better-know-judge-lester-griffin-guy-who-scored-it-30-27-forrest

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 24, 2009, 01:08:02 PM »
Thank you Dog Mark.  I notice they do not credit the clip they take without permission from our Staff DVD.

Rarick

« Reply #427 on: November 25, 2009, 07:41:17 AM »
They pulled it off of youtube.  Make a phone call, youtube is pretty respectful of copyright.

Incidentally I hope Griffin lets the fans talk, a judge getting into the mix is nothing but bad.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 08:02:08 AM by Rarick »

taoist-engineer

• View Profile
Re: MMA Thread surf dogs UFC judging
« Reply #428 on: November 26, 2009, 06:13:22 AM »
Big heated discusion on the underground about Lester Griffin's judging of the  Tito Forest fight
He scored it 30-27 for Forest which the way I saw it but the discussion brought up qualifications

Anyone care to share Lesters qualifications as a judge
Just Curious as I recall he puts the old in "Old School" MMA fighting

Anyone have a comment on his qualifications a a fight judge

I found Lesters qualifications on his school web page and they are an impressive number and range of certificates in different martial arts
So he certainly has the mixed part of the Mixed Martial Arts he has certificates in  JKD, Savate, Muay Thai, japanese jiu jitsu
did'nt see any BJJ but as a Dog brother he would have had some Machado/DB training  in the stick grappling.
He is a black belt in JKD, JJJ and American Jiu Jitsu and has a 1974 Chuck Norris membership card Tang Soo Do 8th Blue (very cool)
Lots of stick certificates and he has trained a number of MMA fighters
Lesters credentials appear to be impeccable and the breadth of his training makes him uniquely qualified to be a MMA judge
He does not suffer from the common problem of Boxing judges being assigned to MMA who have no clue about grappling.
Lester called the fight as he saw it and his credentials support his ability to make an informed decision.
The UFC and MMA in general could use more judges with Lesters diverse background

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 26, 2009, 08:06:39 AM »
Anyone have the URL of that?

Rarick

« Reply #430 on: November 26, 2009, 08:40:50 AM »
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/  I think this might be it.

Couldn't find the threads on the forums.

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 26, 2009, 01:45:01 PM »
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.frame&page=1

hope that work, but thats the link guro c.

Francisco

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 26, 2009, 01:49:27 PM »
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=forum.versionCheck&thread=1556810&forum=1

i think this one should work. sorry.

Francisco

Rarick

« Reply #433 on: November 27, 2009, 03:32:19 AM »
I fired up the TIVO recording when I got home, turned off the sound and just concentrated on the fight.  Joe Rogan is an awesome announcer, but he tends to miss things or decide the fight his way.  Since we all pay attention to his comments, we can get misled.

I do not know their scoring system, but I just worked thru the fight giving a point for successful strike, take down, advance in guard, submission attempt, damage (mouse, bruise, limp, cut, stagger), aggressive action (punch combo, shoot, cut off), control of fight, reversal(sweep), picking "mode" (ground, stand, fence).

When I was done the 1st round was the only close one, going to Tito.   After that round Forest was doing most of the contact initiating, and was landing way more hits than Tito (3:1!), Forest was able to stand up when he wanted too, so the takedowns could not count as controlling the fight, and while Forest was down he did a real good job of eliminating the GnP game. Last, forest was not looking at all like he was tired or wore down.

Tito got credit for making forest bleed (not hard), the takedowns, some punches, but he was not initiating contact very often, throwing many punches, or controling any of the fight.  Tito was starting to look slow during the final round.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 27, 2009, 08:30:43 PM »
Frankfurter:

None of those URLs are working for me.

Anyway, at this point, nevermind. :-)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 04, 2009, 04:34:01 PM »
Any comments on this season's TUF?

And here's this:

Former NFL great Herschel Walker training in San Jose for mixed martial arts
By Mark Emmons
San Jose Mercury News

Former Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker last played football in 1997.
He's now 47, an age when many ex-NFL players already are hobbled by arthritis
and other degenerative ailments.

But not Walker. Despite what he cheerfully describes as "my advanced years,"
he has come to San Jose to train for a new career in the burgeoning brutal
sport of mixed martial arts. He's scheduled to climb inside a steel cage for
his debut Jan. 30 in Miami.

And, yes, he knows everyone has a simple question: What the heck are you
thinking?

"I wouldn't have gotten into this if I didn't know I could do it," said
Walker, a fifth-degree black belt in tae kwon do. "I can fight."

Walker added that he doesn't need more money or publicity. But he does need
competition.

That's why he now is spending his days sweating with other MMA fighters at San
Jose's American Kickboxing Academy, which has become a hub for the emerging
sport. One grueling session this week saw him repeatedly punching and kicking
a heavy bag, then grappling with rising heavyweight star Cain Velasquez, who
is 20 years his junior.

Although there are hints of his age in his facial features, Walker looks just
as athletic as when he was a workhorse running back who retired as the NFL's
No. 2 combined-yardage leader - right down to a sculpted physique featuring
washboard abs.

"I understand why people would hear that he wants to fight and say, 'Yeah,
right,' " said American

Advertisement
Kickboxing Academy head trainer Javier Mendez. "But he's not a 47-year-old
man. He's got the body of a 20-year-old. He's absolutely ripped. He's not
normal. He's one of a kind."

Football legend, Olympian, danseur

Walker was one of the most heralded running backs in football history. He won
the 1982 Heisman at Georgia before playing 15 pro seasons. Despite
eye-catching statistics like once rushing for 1,514 yards with Dallas, Walker
is most remembered for the blockbuster 1989 trade where the Cowboys sent him
to Minnesota for five players and six draft picks.

He also could evade conventional thinking as deftly as would-be tacklers,
always marching to the beat of his own drummer.

A world-class sprinter, he competed in the two-man bobsled at the 1992 Winter
Olympics. He danced ballet. He now owns a food company and earlier this year
appeared on "The Celebrity Apprentice" reality TV show.

In 2008, Walker also created a stir with the memoir "Breaking Free," which
asserted he had suffered for years with dissociative identity disorder, a
controversial mental illness also known as multiple personality disorder. He
described how the condition nearly drove him to suicide, destroyed his
marriage and is the reason he doesn't remember winning the Heisman. But
treatment brought the disorder under control, he said.

"When the book first came out, everybody would look at me and make a cross
with their fingers like I was a vampire because of the stigma," said Walker, a
Dallas resident. "Now when I walk in an airport, I have five people come up to
me and start telling their story like I'm Dr. Walker."

He even uses the condition to poke fun at himself as he talks about his MMA
goal.

"This will be my 20-year-old personality fighting in the cage," Walker joked.
"The 40-year-old one won't come back out until afterward."

One reason Walker wants to fight is simply because he can.

Always a fitness fanatic, he has stayed in supreme condition with a daily
workout regimen highlighted by 3,500 sit-ups and from 750 to 1,500 push-ups.
He eats one meal a day - mostly salads and soups, and never red meat - and
sleeps only three to four hours a night.

"I could still play football today," said Walker, who is 6-foot-1 and 217
pounds. "Now I couldn't take every snap. I've slowed down a little bit, but
I'm still faster than 80 percent of the guys in the league. That's why I know
I can step into the cage."

'Green' but driven, Walker 'no joke'

MMA combines elements of martial arts, boxing and wrestling. And San Jose has
become something of a mecca for the sport as it gains mainstream acceptance.
The promotion company Strikeforce, which is putting on Walker's fight, is
based here. He decided to temporarily move to San Jose because the American
Kickboxing Academy gym is one of the country's top fight camps.

"He's no joke," Mendez said of Walker. "He's green. But he's got unbelievable
ability and is really, really strong. He also has a willingness to learn. You
can see why he was such a great football player. He won't shy away from
anything."

The September announcement that Walker had signed with Strikeforce raised
eyebrows. But one person all but chortled with laughter - Dana White, the
outspoken leader of Ultimate Fighting Championship, the sport's top promotion
company and a Strikeforce competitor. "Freak show" also is how he dismissively
refers to a Walker bout.

"He's too old for football, but he thinks he's young enough to fight?" White
added. "Fighting is a young man's sport. You need speed, agility,
explosiveness. All that stuff goes away with age."

Walker is aware of the taunting.

"Dana is just mad because he's not the only show in town, and that's fine,"
said Walker, who plans to donate his MMA earnings to charity. "But he really
doesn't know what kind of athlete I am."

The plan is for him to spend the next two months at the American Kickboxing
Academy, proving to trainers Mendez and Bob Cook that he's ready. For now,
Walker is a rookie again. New fighters at the gym have to do chores, which is
why Walker will be cleaning equipment Sunday morning.

"He doesn't complain and hasn't expected any special privileges, which is good
because he's gotten none," Mendez said.

After a workout, Walker was thanking Velasquez and other fighters for their
help.

"I might not be up to the best fighters yet," Walker said. "But I'll tell you
what: I'm working at it."

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 05, 2009, 04:46:44 PM »
 although i haven't really been following TUF this season(or the past few seaons) i find it sad that the finale is hyping the kimbo vs houston fight more than the final of nelson vs shaub. i understand it, but still think it minimizes that these two guys actually won three fights each to make it to the finals.

Francisco

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 05, 2009, 05:42:11 PM »
I admit to having been sucked into the soap opera--  from the coaches on down (contender status for all time worst TUF coach to Rampage;  worst ever levels of conditioning; possible worst fighter ever in the finals (Nelson) strange denouements (both Kimbo and Big Baby) and more-- what a fascinating study in human behavior.

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 05, 2009, 07:36:38 PM »
i'd pick roy nelson to win the whole thing from the beginning. besides nelson i'm only familiar with scott junk, kimbo, and wes sims(besides readiing about a few of the others in various MA mags), but to me roy had the best technical skills and fighting ability compared to all the rest, especially with the fights i've seen him in compared to the rest. when i did see the show that shaub guy seemed impressive, but i figured nelson would at least make it to the finals. i still think nelson wins it all. we'll see what happens tonite.

Francisco

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 05, 2009, 07:42:28 PM »
''what a fascinating study in human behavior''

i am quite intrigued by big baby myself. scared of a bug one second then wanting to kill mitrione the next. A W E S O ME.

Francisco

CrazyCossack

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 05, 2009, 09:24:45 PM »
I admit to having been sucked into the soap opera--  from the coaches on down (contender status for all time worst TUF coach to Rampage;  worst ever levels of conditioning; possible worst fighter ever in the finals (Nelson) strange denouements (both Kimbo and Big Baby) and more-- what a fascinating study in human behavior.

You really think Nelson was the worst fighter ever in the finals? I think thats a little harsh, even without the hindsight that he won the finale tonight.

Josh Haynes lost to Bisping in the finals of season 3, I'd argue Roy is better than him.

Manny Gamburyan also fought in the finals, and I'd argue that Roy is a better fighter than Stephan Bonnar too.

He might look like the worst fighter (although Josh Haynes might have him beat there too) but I think there have been alot worse guys in there. Plus he was introduced as a kung fu fighter, and that comedy has gotta be worth at least something.

This whole season was garbage though, especially rampage and Rashad, why trash talk each other face to face if your not going to actually fight, I guess the idea is it boosts ratings but after the 9th time I'd rather be watching commercials than that.

Also on the subject of the finale, I'm glad that Jon Jones lost by disqualification he was clearly the superior fighter, but he committed an obvious foul and I'm glad they followed the rules and DQ'd him.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 05, 2009, 09:36:43 PM »
Well, I'm not as serious a student of the show as you, perhaps I was being a bit glib, , , and certainly I have to back up now , , ,

Hat tip to Frankfurter for spotting Nelson from the beginning.  I did not.

CrazyCossack

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 05, 2009, 09:53:46 PM »
Well, I'm not as serious a student of the show as you, perhaps I was being a bit glib, , , and certainly I have to back up now , , ,

Hat tip to Frankfurter for spotting Nelson from the beginning.  I did not.

lol I had to look up all the past finalists on wikipedia but I knew there were some much poorer ones than Roy, just thought I'd give the evidence to back up my post right away.

Jonobos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 05, 2009, 10:18:12 PM »

Also on the subject of the finale, I'm glad that Jon Jones lost by disqualification he was clearly the superior fighter, but he committed an obvious foul and I'm glad they followed the rules and DQ'd him.

I sort of think it is a stupid rule. Why are those more dangerous than any other elbow?
When life gives you lemons make lemonade
When life gives you hemlock, do NOT make hemlockade!

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 05, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
I've found a few answers to the "why" of the "spike elbow" being a foul:

1.  Originally it was because of how easy it was to cut the opponent.

2.  More recently they're saying because of the potential foul to the back of the head.

Personally neither hold up in my book.  Many other types of elbows are easier to cut with and if the back of the head is a foul anyway, DON'T HIT IT!

3.  Is because of the ability to have gravity on your side for the elbow (12 to 6 on a clock).  This is why spike elbows from the guard are not a foul which again doesn't make sense to me.

Stupid rule.  MH wasn't put out by the last two grazing spike elbows, it was from the barrage of elbows thrown before hand which Jones was begging the ref to stop from.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 06, 2009, 06:48:22 AM »
I think I heard Joe Rogan say something about how some commisioner saw an ice break with that elbow strike and decided that if it could shatter a big block of ice like that then it was too much for MMA.

CrazyCossack

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 06, 2009, 12:48:47 PM »
While I think that they should be allowed, and I do think Hamill was clearly going to lose whether or not Jones landed those elbows, I'm glad that Jones was disqualified because he did end the fight with a foul, the rules are there for a reason and I'm glad there followed.

and I think there is another reason they dont want downward elbows, I'm not sure if its illegal to attack the spine (i've seen people attempt twisters) but if you end up sprawling on a guy I think they don't want people throwing downward elbows to the spine as those have potential for serious injury.  Whether or not they should allow them to the spine is up for debate but that may have been an influence on the rule as well.

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 06, 2009, 02:30:23 PM »
I think I heard Joe Rogan say something about how some commisioner saw an ice break with that elbow strike and decided that if it could shatter a big block of ice like that then it was too much for MMA.

i've seen poi destroy a coconut on t.v., so i deem it illegal for poi to hit ANYTHING/ONE with his stick(s)!

Francisco

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 06, 2009, 07:02:08 PM »
FF et al:

Big Baby was a fascinating human study, both in the house and in the cage , , , and in the aftermath of fights. 

selfcritical

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 08, 2009, 06:19:47 PM »
New idea- Conspire to put copies of the KT material in Jon Jones' christmas stocking. I'm highly amused by anyone who manages to pull off moves on pro fighters because they saw tony jaa do them in a movie.