Author Topic: Stickfighting in northern NJ and a school question  (Read 7407 times)

dellorto

• View Profile
Stickfighting in northern NJ and a school question
« on: July 13, 2005, 05:38:50 AM »
Folks,

I have a friend in northeast NJ who is interested in training in FMA stickfighting. I'm trying to help him find a school, but I'm a little pressed for time because I'm moving to Japan in a week and a half.

Can someone recommend a school? He's in Essex county, and although  Progressive Martial Arts in Flushing NY sounds close, it's just not a viable trip for regular training for him.

He's found this place relatively close to his house. Does anyone know it?

http://www.imafit.com/

Thanks,

Peter
Peter V. Dell'Orto

"The thing that you know to be true is the lie that will kill you." - Glen Cook, "Soldiers Live."

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 06:58:14 AM »
If it is not to far:

Princeton Academy of Martial Arts
14 Farber Road, Princeton, NJ 08540
609-452-2208
http://www.pamausa.com/

Rick is a full instructor under Guro Dan.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

dellorto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 07:57:46 PM »
Quote from: ryangruhn
Princeton Academy of Martial Arts
14 Farber Road, Princeton, NJ 08540
609-452-2208
http://www.pamausa.com/

PAMA is outstanding, but it's also more than an hour from where he lives and works. So he'd barely be able to make class on time and then get home in time to turn in for work the next day. I've sent him the referral.

It seems like the really good stickfighters are about an hour away from him. He might have to settled for a good unarmed school in the meantime, but I don't want to give up hope just yet.
Peter V. Dell'Orto

"The thing that you know to be true is the lie that will kill you." - Glen Cook, "Soldiers Live."

cranford

• View Profile
Stickfighting in Northern NJ
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 06:43:10 AM »
I know the Bakbakan organization is located in Lodi, N.J.
I am also looking for a good FMA school, but am unable to join at this time due to employment. Hope he finds a good school.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 02:10:37 PM »
sorry for delay in reply - real life takes precedence sometimes. not sure if you will see my post.

a friend of mine is one of Phil Dunlap's students, Ken Andes. he is an instructor under Dong Cuestra of Doce Pares. not sure if Ken is still teaching, but next time you are at Phil's, if you haven't met Ken yet, ask for him, he's a cool guy.
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny