DBMA Martial Arts Forum > Martial Arts Topics

Krabi Krabong in the Movies

(1/3) > >>

watchdog:
Saw this posted in another forum.  I thought it would be of particular interest to DBMA types:

Tony Jaa to wield a 'Sword' for third film

Variety's Asian film blog Kaiju Shakedown reports that Tony Jaa is teaming up with director Prachya Pinkaew yet again for a third martial arts actioner, this time set in Thailand's past and featuring swordplay.

According to published information released at this year's Cannes, Sword will be a "spectacular saga" that "depicts the heroism of Thai history's legendary warriors as they fight to protect their homeland."

As for the martial arts, Tony Jaa will be using the ancient art of Dab Thai, or Double-Handed Sword Fighting. This style of swordplay is described as "one of the most beautiful yet lethal weapons arts ever seen on film."

Dab Thai swordplay is a uniquely Thai martial art that has been around for well over a thousand years. What sets it apart from other Asian sword techniques is the integration of fist, feet and knee attacks. Identical double-edged swords are often used and the sword grips may be employed to attack the enemy's weak spots, such as joints.

Jaa's second film, Tom Yum Goong, is presently set for theatrical release in Thailand and other parts of East Asia on August 11th, 2005.

MonyetNakal:
Dunno if its been mentioned here before, but you can also catch snippets of some krabi krabong action in a movie called "The Legend of Suryothai"

While not a 'martial-arts' movie per se, its more of a 'historical-epic' a la "Braveheart" and the like and it has some great battle scenes. I recommend it.

Any movie with lines like "Ready the men, and arm the elephants" has to be great, right?

metis:
i'll watch anything w/ battle elephants :).

enjoyed Suryothai. can't wait for Hannibal. even made the craptastic Alexander somewhat interesting.

DanJuanDeSiga:
Anyone remember watching the part in Rambo III where Sylvester Stallone has a stickfight match? You'll notice Krabi Krabong in motion picture action.

Daniel Arola

Guard Dog:

--- Quote from: DanJuanDeSiga ---Anyone remember watching the part in Rambo III where Sylvester Stallone has a stickfight match? You'll notice Krabi Krabong in motion picture action.

Daniel Arola
--- End quote ---

YES!  I named my first cat Rambo, he was my hero when I was a kid.  I remember laughing every time I saw it because of the sound effects.  I found in funny since I knew what a stcik actually sounded like.  

Gruhn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version