Author Topic: Stun Guns/Cattle Prods-Realistic Training and Development  (Read 21239 times)

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Stun Guns/Cattle Prods-Realistic Training and Development
« on: July 13, 2005, 10:19:38 PM »
Quote from: Tom Stillman
ALSO: I work with a group that utilizes STUN GUN technology to add a little more consiquence to knife sparring. The long handle ones that resemble a short stick work best.  Take care,  Tom

What type of device do you use?  All the Stun(t) Guns I have seen seem very cheeply maid and I worry about dropping them.  Because of this I purchased a Cattle Prod that I bet I could drop off a building and it would be fine http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=8&paID=1038&sonID=179&productID=976 .  Does your gun resemble a knife?

Gruhn[/url]
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
stun guns
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 10:58:30 AM »
Hey ryangruhn,  First of all the best thing to do is pad the stungun with  to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick dence foam padding wraped with black electrical tape. This will help to protect it from impact damage. For a picture of a suitable stun gun go to "GOOGLE- IMAGES" and type in the  words          "stun guns"  If you do not use the correct spaceing and lower case letters you will not end up on the correct page. Once you get there check out the stungun on the second row down and the third picture from the right. This picture shows a variety of stun guns marked A,B,C,and"D". Stungun  marked "D" is the one that I suggest using. It is a wand type device that most resembles the length and shape of a medium to large size knife. With a little more searching you can find smaller or larger models to suite your needs. I hope this helps.   TOM
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.  dalai lama

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
ALSO:
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 11:20:50 AM »
I forgot to mention that this partcular stungun is charged an entire 5'' inches from the tip down toward the base so it is excelent for using slashing as well as thrusting techniques. I would also mention that a stun gun has different effects on the human body depending on the duration of contact. Quick contact will  not produce an actual KNOCK OUT in fact if you are hit it will make you very aware of that fact from the shock and possible temporary disorientation. If you want to use slashing techniques with this stun gun then padding the top  5''inches is not an option.
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.  dalai lama

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 12:48:39 PM »
Interesting,
I find it weird that no one has actually made a blade like stun gun that can discharge on contact.  I am thinking of looking into the project and seeing if anyone is interested in building a prototype.  The marker knives are great but they don't draw the realism that an actual shock would bring which I assume would be the CLOSEST to a real cut that anyone could safely get.  I assume saftey is the reason it has not been done yet because of regulations and such.  

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 12:53:13 PM »
In relation,
  I think a cattle prod type device would make more sense since they only cause pain in the area of contact that you get hit.

Cattle prods are similar to stun guns in design -- they apply an electrical current across two electrodes -- but they serve a completely different function. A stun gun uses an electrical charge to incapacitate someone, while a cattle prod applies a charge to get a person or animal moving. A cattle prod only causes pain, it does not significantly affect the muscles and nervous system of the body.
These two devices differ mainly in voltage. The voltage in a stun gun is high enough to dump electricity into the entire body. The lower voltage in a cattle prod only shocks someone at the point of contact.

This would leave the person who got hit or in our case slashed or stabbed aware of where this happened rather than having it feel like the slash happened to the entire body.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 01:24:41 PM »
Woof Ryan:

My birthday is next month , , , :lol:  

How much do they cost?  Please email me where I can get a pair.

Crafty Dog

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 02:13:40 PM »
Crafty,

Here ya go! http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=8&paID=1038&sonID=179&productID=976 . I was just thinking about how to possibly convert one of these into a training blade.  With out letting too much of my secret out, it would be a slip on conversion meaning that the prod would remain stock.  The problem I see though is that the arc of electricity is made via two connections; a training blade would only offer one continuous feed since it is only one blade.  Never the less I think I am going to try and make a prototype off of the prod once I figure out the electrical theory.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 07:24:06 PM »
O,
  One thing I forgot to mention about the prod I got.  It says that it is not intended to incapacitate but rather cause pain.  I must attest the pain isn?t just a little shock.  I had my girlfriend hit me with it on the calf and before she did I decided to try to do something simple at the same time to see if it did in fact affect my mental ability.  I started counting down from 10 and told her to hit me when ever she wanted.  My goal was to continue to count while I was hit and after.  She hit me at 8 and I lost all memory of what number I was on and my immediate reaction was to scream and shake from the pain.  I could feel where I was hit for about five minutes and then after had no pain at all.  The pain felt as a shock does (if you know what getting shocked feels like) but infested with tiny teeth penetrating my entire lower leg.  She hit me for less than a second.  My conclusion, it does have an effect on the mental state but focuses more on pain.  I believe if I was hit with it for a long period of time I would remain conscious.  

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
Cattle prods
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 03:23:07 PM »
Woof, ryungruhn.  It sounds like a cattle prod works well and is not as severe as some stun guns but still very effective.  I was thinking the lower voltage of a cattle prod may not be as effective through some clothing were as most stun guns claim to work through most clothing. I guess sparring with less or thinner clothing would remedy that possible problem. Q,  What voltage is your cattle prod. The stun gun I recomended delivers  5000, volts. P.S. Always wear eye protection.    Tom

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
correction
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 03:30:26 PM »
Correction: The stun gun I recomended is 500,000 volts not 5,000 as previously stated.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 07:03:15 PM »
I could not find anywhere on the package, prod or web site that said the voltage.  Good question though and I am now wondering myself.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Stun Guns/Cattle Prods-Realistic Training and Development
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 12:42:11 PM »
Given the likely appearance of cattle prods at this Gathering TTT with this thread!

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 12:57:12 PM »
They are packed and in the car as we speak.  :-D

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 08:36:54 PM »
Some of the pictures from the November 2006 Gathering's Cattle Prod Fight:

Photos taken by Indris Klimanis

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 09:15:07 PM by ryangruhn »
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Jeff Gentry

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 07:33:53 AM »
Are those mini cattle prod's or stun gun's?

Bet the adrenaline was flowing for that.

Jeff
Usque Ad Finem

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 07:38:28 AM »
cattle prods:

Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Jeff Gentry

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 11:59:56 AM »
cattle prods:

Thank's man I might need to get a couple of those?

Jeff
Usque Ad Finem

Scurvy Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 05:58:26 PM »
Thank's man I might need to get a couple of those?
Jeff

They do add a bit of realism that the training knives are lacking in that they provide instant feedback. The tricky part was timing the strike with pushing the button. A couple times I forgot to push it when I was attacking and Ryan got me once in the side without the shock working. I'll tell you one thing though the prongs definitely have the potential to cause some damage. I still have a scar from that hit to my side.  :|

That fight was one of the more interesting that I’ve done however that’s for sure!  :-D