Author Topic: Shoulder Problems and Stick Fighting  (Read 10291 times)

cranford

• View Profile
Shoulder Problems and Stick Fighting
« on: August 26, 2005, 02:09:43 PM »
Greetings to you all,

I am interested in studying FMA, but have some issues with my rotator cuff. Does anyone that posts here have/had a similar problem and what have been their experiences in regards to it ? Is it prohibitive to their studies, or do the motions not affect it much.
Thank you for your input.

Perrodefantazma

• View Profile
Shoulders
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 02:24:55 PM »
Craftydog gave me abook. That I read and applied to my weekly training.
The 7 minute rotator cuff solution. follow this training.  It helped my out alot.
Running AMOK with a Dog Bros Spirit.
    Sticks & Kicks.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 03:13:22 PM »
adapt.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 10:56:12 PM »
cranford

I have had lots of shoulder problems and this is what I have learned:

One, strengthen the entire shoulder.  Sometime in our training we develop a strong push but no pull.  When the muscles get unbalanced (fornt to back or right to left), it causes problems.

Two, strike/punch from good position.  For example, often people throw a hook and land it out to their side rather than facing the person (I don't know if I'm being clear).  You have to retrain yourself strike with your shoulder in good position.

Three, and this isn't anything you haven't heard already, but you have to rest rotator cuff tears.  REST REST REST and then rehab (the internet is full of illustrations of the exersices to do) with VERY light weights for a long time.  Once it your shoulder is strong, keep doing the exersices.
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/

McCoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 05:44:43 AM »
what book?
thanks
He that hath no sword,
let him sell his garment and buy one.
St. Luke

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 08:20:04 AM »
"The 7 Minute Rotator Cuff Solution" from "Health for Life".  Excellent book and recommended for any and all for both prevention/maintainence and self-help rehab.

I would add to the other comments the notion that many time shoulder problems develop because of imbalance/misalignment originating in the hips- often from tight hip flexors due to the excessive (as contrasted to our previous lives in nature) sitting common in modern life

This sitting also often is combined with slouching/reaching forward such that the chest tends to collapse.

All this tends to align the shoulder in a way that is asking for problems.  Cleaning up posture can be key to cleaning up shoulder problems.

Grunttwice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 06:11:58 PM »
Hello, this is my first post even though I've been reading the boards for a while.  I'll introduce myself first.
   I've been practicing Pekiti-tirsia Kali out of Salt Lake City under Guru Wihongi for a few years now.  We're one of Tuhon Gaje's pit bull schools.  We're a pretty informal tight knit bunch.
   I damaged my rotator cuff my senior year of wrestling.  Honestly, I only half heartedly did the excercises my physical therapist showed me and it didn't get better.  When I started training with the stick I did alright, but when I started going full power it hurt bad.  So I started doing the physical therapy excercises and I found that the stickfighting motions complemented it very well.  It definately sped up my recovery.  As I moved on to hand to hand I realized full power hooks absolutely killed, but I took it slow and worked my way up to it and they don't bug me.  Now every once in a while I'll feel a little weird when I throw elbows, especially on an upward angle, but it doesn't hurt anymore, and I still do the excercises.
   Sorry I'm so long winded, I guess my point is that I know your pain, but  recovery isn't as hard and long of a road as many people (my physical therapist) make it seem.
   So start training, you'll love it, and good luck.
~Allen

cranford

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 05:49:47 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I'll definitely look for that book, and look forward to start my training soon.

Tulisan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 04:53:40 PM »
"health for life" author: Robert Sachs. is this THE book?
gumagalang
He that hath no sword,
let him sell his garment and buy one.
St. Luke

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 08:28:35 AM »
"The Seven Minute Rotator Cuff Solution"
I foreget the author's name, but it was publishzed and sold by "Health for Life" (Jerry Robinson)

iloilo44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 10:31:57 PM »
Hello Guro Crafty,

You got one of the co-authors is Mr. Jerry Robinson, and the other co-author is Mr. Joseph Horrigan, DC  www.softtissuecenter.com.  Although I have not read their book I know it is of great value for anyone and any serious athlete and anyone who may have had a work injury in the past or present involving sholder injury especially the rotator cuuff of which he is an expert.  

I have visited their office in Century City and Mr Horrigan can give you some of the best diagnosis for almost anytype of soft tissue ailment.  They are really experts in their field and they can remove adhesions in your muscle groups by deep tissue manipulation almost like shiatsu style and Hilot ( which I now guru Sam Tendencia is an expert).   It may take a few sessions for them to work on that injured area and then they prescribe you specific do's and don't excerises that will strenghten the RTC which you will probably have to do for the rest of your martial art years.  

I'm sure the 7 minute shoulder workout will give you some specific weight training for that muscle group.  

I excercise both of my  shoulders at 2-3 times a week to maintain stability and prevent injury.  I have not experienced any serious RTC injury since I have been doing Mr. Horrigan's program.

Peace,

Glenn