Author Topic: Staff from around the world  (Read 12787 times)

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
Staff from around the world
« on: August 02, 2005, 11:40:16 AM »
i'm sure some of the forum members have seen these links before here and there. at Guro Crafty's suggestion, i will consolidate the links onto this thread. if anyone has any links not posted here, please feel free to add (i'm sure Sun Helmet and Spaddachino can add to this thread easily :-). without further ado:

Western Quarterstaff

George Silver's Paradoxes of Defence, 1598

Brief Instructions Upon My Paradoxes of Defence by George Silver

Schoole of the Noble and Worthy Science of Defence by Joseph Swetnam's 1617 Part 1 (towards bottom of the webpage is the Staff section)

Schoole of the Noble and Worthy Science of Defence by Joseph Swetnam's 1617 Part 2(first third of the webpage relates to staff)

(HTML)English Master of Defence OR, The Gentleman's Al-a-mode Accomplish By Zach Wylde, 1711

(PDF)English Master of Defence OR, The Gentleman's Al-a-mode Accomplish By Zach Wylde, 1711

Broadsword and Singlestick - with Chapters on Quarter-staff, Bayonet, Cudgel, Shillalah, Walking Stick, Umbrella and other Weapons of Self Defence.", Allanson-Winn, R.G. and C. Phillipps-Wolley, London : George Bell & Sons. 1st edition, 1898.

QUARTER-STAFF:  A PRACTICAL MANUAL BY THOMAS A. McCARTHY

A Brief History of the Quarterstaff by Frank Docherty

Frank Docherty interview

The Manly Art of Quarter-Staff Origins of a Victorian Combat Sport By Tony Wolf

Chinese Martial Arts

Luk Dim Boon Kwun (Yip Man)

Luk Dim Boon Kwun (Sum Nung)

The Weapons of Wing Chun Kuen By Robert Chu & Rene Ritchie (First published in Inside Kung-Fu, 99/07)

Weapons of Wing Chun Kung Fu by Curt James - Black Belt article

The Flying Dragon Tiger Gate System By Robert Chu (First published in Exotic Martial Arts of South East Asia, Spring 1999)

William Cheung - Weapons Training

San Kam's Pole Dummy Spread Through the Red Junk Historical Articles by Various - 'Translated' from 'I Am Mountain Man'

Luk Dim Boon Kwun (Jee Shim)

Wing Chun Dragon Pole Training-Got Power?, By Daniel O'Neill

GARY LAM WING CHUN KUNG FU - pole photos

Choy Li Fut Plum Blossom Spear and Staff Article by Grandmaster Doc-Fai Wong INSIDE KUNG-FU MAGAZINE March 2003 Issue

Choy Li Fut Spear Column by Grandmaster Doc-Fai Wong INSIDE KUNG-FU MAGAZINE March 2002 Issue

Choy Li Fut Staff Column by Grandmaster Doc-Fai Wong INSIDE KUNG-FU MAGAZINE January 2002 Issue

The Flying Phoenix Kick By Stefan Verstappen Originally published in Inside Kung Fu Magazine April '01

Filipino Martial Arts

Dog Brothers Staff DVD preview

The Art Of Malayu Sibat by Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje Jr.

there are loads more on the filipino/western/chinese/japanese/korean/brazilian (jogo du pau)/indian (silambim, Kalarippayattu, etc)/Canary Islands (there's even a thread in this forum on this as well as EJMAS)/etc. ..... for now, i will stop here, when i have time i will put up more. hope others will add to this thread. my predominant interest in staff is FMA (haven't found much in the past) and CMA and recently checking out the WMA, but again, the staff is probably one of the oldest weapons if not THE oldest.

i end this post with some sayings in the CMA, it is said that "the staff is the father of all weapons and the spear, the king of all weapons." and in WCK, it is said, "Gwun mo leung heung" (Pole does not make 2 sounds).

DB Forum's Stick/Cane from around the world thread
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

iloilo44

• View Profile
The Art of Malayu Sibat by Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje Jr.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 11:40:57 PM »
Dear fellow martial artistis and DB tribe,

First of all I would like to thank Mr. Strickgrappler for posting those great articles on staff arts really great stuff!  
I personally enjoy training with this versatile weapon.  When one has the proper basic understanding of its use on all ranges of combat one can defend his or herself at any time.  

I thought the article on the Art of Malayu Sibat by Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje Jr. is really interesting.   I found it to be informative and really appreciate the weapon from its origin and how it is used in that environment.   Are there any elements or expressions of this art applied by Guru Marc Denny in the staff video?  Would there be any future seminars offerred of this unique art?

I hope they are not too much too ask.  I am basically new to this.  I am just a beginner and love to learn about other cultures from around the world and appreciate where these arts originated and its environmental applications and its use in combat.

Peace,

Glenn

argyll

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 10:19:12 AM »
This is another page of staff related links:  http://www.egreenway.com/taichichuan/staff.htm

There is a lot of overlap with the excellent list assembled by Stickgappler, but it also has some links to manufacturers.

Best regards,

Argyll

metis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 06:28:40 PM »
download (200Mb) of the Mursi tribe:

http://dmc.ohiolink.edu:20080/media/ffhDetails?oid=2791612

The Mursi Tribe: The Day of the Donga

Series:
The Last Warriors

Description:
Much has changed in modern Ethiopia, but at least one thing remains the same: the Mursi are still among the fiercest warriors in Africa. This program, a study of life among the Mursi, features footage of a donga, a punishing yet graceful stick fighting competition through which young men display their bravery, establish their status, and perhaps even attract a young woman to marry. Mursi mysticism and faith healing are also considered, as well as customs such as the use of large ceramic lip disks by women as symbols of beauty and wealth. (54 minutes, color)

Date:

Subject:
Social Studies

Length:
54 mins

Copyright:
Films for the Humanities & Sciences

blurb from another site, variation from another tribe:

"It's said to be one of the fiercest competitions on the entire African continent.  But here among Ethiopia's Surma tribe, the Donga Stick Fight takes place in the name of love.  I'm Jim Metzner, and this is the Pulse of the Planet, presented by DuPont.  When their harvest season is over, the Surma people observe a period of courtship, spending days by the river, fingerpainting designs on their bodies.  And according to photographer Angela Fisher, co-author of the book "African Ceremonies", the next stage of the Surma courtship tradition is not quite so peaceful.

"Once the bodies are painted and men and women have started courting one another, the other side of courtship starts.  Once a week, the Surma men from different villages come together, sometimes walking thirty miles on very small grass paths to meet one another to perform the most wild sport we have ever seen on the entire African continent.  The donga stick fight is fought with long, straight poles of about eight foot long made of very hard wood, and the Surma men perform these fights to prove their masculinity, to settle personal vendettas, but most importantly, to win wives."

This competition has only one rule:  you cannot kill your opponent.

"And at the end of the day, the winner of the day's fighting bouts is carried out of the arena on a wonderful platform of poles, and he's held high in the air, and he's carried towards a group of very beautiful young girls.  So as he arrives, the winner is taken by one of the girls."

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 01:36:39 PM »
Quote from: argyll
This is another page of staff related links:  http://www.egreenway.com/taichichuan/staff.htm

There is a lot of overlap with the excellent list assembled by Stickgappler, but it also has some links to manufacturers.

Best regards,

Argyll

cool! thank you. i did not have a lot of the other CMA and JMA styles linked. lots of dl'ing to do :-)
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 01:39:50 PM »
Quote from: metis
download (200Mb) of the Mursi tribe:

http://dmc.ohiolink.edu:20080/media/ffhDetails?oid=2791612

The Mursi Tribe: The Day of the Donga

cool! thank you. if memory serves and Guro Crafty can confirm, the footage in the real contact stickfighting series was of the Donga?

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: The Art of Malayu Sibat by Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje Jr.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 01:42:44 PM »
Quote from: iloilo44
Are there any elements or expressions of this art applied by Guru Marc Denny in the staff video?  Would there be any future seminars offerred of this unique art?

Peace,

Glenn

woof:

welcome to the forum :-)

i'm not Guro Crafty, but i'm pretty sure part of the Staff system in DBMA is based on GT Gaje's teachings.

fyi:  in the staff dvd preview, you will see GT Gaje and Guro Crafty's trip to the PI to train the staff.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 03:03:57 PM »
The footage in POWER of the first series was of the Surma of southwestern Ethiopia, so according to the description below, yes it is the same tribe.

Yes PT's "Malayu Sibat" is one of the systems upon which DBMA draws for its staff.

iloilo44

• View Profile
Staff
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 12:43:35 AM »
Woof Mr. Stickgrappler and Guro Marc Denny,

Thanks for the info.  Just got reading some info on the "donga", looks like very exciting event there and one must be highly prepared for these challenges.  

peace,

Glenn