Author Topic: Most Critical Skills for a Newbie?  (Read 6548 times)

Michael Brown

• View Profile
    • http://www.thepraesidiumgroup.com
Most Critical Skills for a Newbie?
« on: January 23, 2006, 05:56:10 PM »
What are the most important basics to master in stick work?

I've got a base in wrestling, boxing, and muay thai but minimal experience with the stick.

From watching the fights, it looks like footwork is the most dominant factor between the really good fighters.  Is this the opinion of the fighters here?

If so, what are some good drills to work your footwork?

What are some other keys for a beginner trying to start in the right place and drills to work them?

Probably a mother of a question but if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear.

Michael Brown
If not me, then who? - motto of Russia's Alpha Counter-Terrorist Unit

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 06:09:32 PM »
May I suggest tapes #1 & #2 of Dog Brothers RCSF; Power and Footwork.  It seems like you are on the right track.

"If you have one of these, one of these of maybe on of those, you will always be a force to be reconed with" ~TD

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 08:41:27 PM »
Woof Michael:

A great pleasure meeting you in Memphis.  I still crack up when I think of your teenage vampire story :lol: Myke tells me you will be gracing us with your presence in Tulsa-- good news!

Apart from the fact the it puts additional money in my pocket 8) I would expand upon Ryan's suggestions as follows:

1)  By the time you buy #1 and #2 of the first series, you may as well buy the whole series.  The price is most reasonable and the focus of the training therein is ideal for someone like you: Solo training.  Do a round with Top Dog.  Watch a fight ("Its the Dog Brothers-- if you see it taught, you see it fought!") Repeat.

2)  Combining Stick & Footwork DVD.

3) With your background in Muay Thai, the material in Ajarn Salty Dog's "Krabi Krabong for DBMA" should resonate well for you as well.

The Adventure continues,
Crafty Dog

Michael Brown

• View Profile
    • http://www.thepraesidiumgroup.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 09:08:14 PM »
Really looking forward to the 11th and 12th.

Its pretty darn exciting to be this psyched about some material.  As we discussed, up until now I didn't even carry a baton at work because my training up to that point did not carry over real well because of inadequate training method.  

Most police baton methods are totally inadequate for the tools involved and I have always observed this in empty-hand training but never really addressed it with the baton because I didn't have the background.  Thus I have never been able to use contact weapons to their full potential and thus have always relied upon striking and grappling at work.

Since method appears to be the focus of what your group does, it changed my appreciation for contact weapons work.

As we discussed in Memphis, I love these visceral experiences so you can probably see where I'm really interested in what you guys offer.

I just got the Footwork DVD and think its just what the doctor ordered.

The KK does seem (for obvious reasons) to resonate real well with someone with some base in Muay Thai.

Will you have the first series on DVD by the time you get to Tulsa?

FYI, five other officers have signed up who have minimal background in practical contact weapons training so this will be a real eye-opener for a lot of us.

Look forward to seeing you again.

Michael Brown
aka the Vampire Hunter:lol:
If not me, then who? - motto of Russia's Alpha Counter-Terrorist Unit

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 01:13:35 AM »
nice post

carlo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 11:27:07 PM »
Ditto everything Guro Crafty said and, now this is important, find a willing partner.
A nation of one ancestry and race is weak. We must hold strong our custom of welcoming all foreigners who seek to join our cause, treating them with dignity and respect and teaching them our language and customs.

-Attila the Hun