Author Topic: Gathering questions  (Read 11320 times)

JamesWilks

Gathering questions
« on: July 02, 2003, 12:06:22 AM »
Dear Crafty Dog

A few of us are coming up from south orange county for the gathering, and i had a few questions.

Are there restrictions on the sticks for the fights? Do people use hardwood sticks or mostly rattan?

Are you still allowing wekaf headgear?

What type of gloves are permitted?

Are elbow and knee pads permitted and if so what type?

Is there a cost to fight?

Are most fights single stick or is it totally up to the individuals?

Just wanted to know so we can focus our training a little bit for the next 2 weeks. I look forward to meeting you and everyone else there.

regards

James Wilks
www.wasptraining.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Gathering questions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 03:54:02 AM »
Woof James:

"Are there restrictions on the sticks for the fights? Do people use hardwood sticks or mostly rattan?"

You may fight with whatever your opponent agrees to.  However, if you are using something out of the ordinary, e.g. hardwood, make sure your opponent knows that.  Last time apparently we had some just strolling out there with hardwood without telling his various opponents.  This is considered VERY bad form.  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

"Are you still allowing wekaf headgear?"

Absolutely not.  It has been many years since we tolerated cherries using WEKAF headgear.

"What type of gloves are permitted?"  

Street hockey gloves or equivalent.  Some guys go lighter e.g. ski gloves or baseball batting gloves.

"Are elbow and knee pads permitted and if so what type?"

Must be soft e.g. wrestling pads.  "Plastic bubbles" such as commonly found for skateboarding, rollerboarding, street hockey are not permitted.

"Is there a cost to fight?"

No.  NOTE THAT YOU MUST MUST MUST PRE-REGISTER.  Form is elsewhere on the site and MUST MUST MUST be signed and mailed in in advance AND your name must appear on the list of registered fighters here on the site.  Any questions, call my wife Cindy at 310-540-6853.  

"Are most fights single stick or is it totally up to the individuals?"

Yes  :wink:   Most fights are single stick AND it is totally up to the individuals.

"Just wanted to know so we can focus our training a little bit for the next 2 weeks. I look forward to meeting you and everyone else there."
regards
James Wilks
www.wasptraining.com"

Likewise.
Crafty Dog

JamesWilks

Gathering questions
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 08:43:47 PM »
Thanks for the info,

Happy i clarified since i had seen this on the "What to Bring" section;

"If you are fighting, please try to bring your own fight gear. The usual code applies with one difference. The big outdoor field of previous Gatherings allowed fighters in trouble room to retreat, and with the new more finite environment we want to sniff out whether there are greater risks-- thus we will tolerate WEKAF type headgear. "

We will get the registration in the mail tomorrow,

regards

James

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Gathering questions
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 08:49:17 PM »
Ah.

That applied to only the first Gathering at the RAW Gym and is now seriously out of date.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Gathering questions
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 09:57:55 AM »
Woof All:

In the interest of thread coherency, I'm moving Dan's post to here.  He asked:

"Hey everyone i asked earlier about the age limit and was wondering if that pertained to someon who was under 18? Im 16 and wanted to compete please let me know.
Thanks
Dan"

Dan, 16 is under the age of consent for CA and as such you need to wait.  Just keep training until you turn 18!

yip!
Crafty Dog