Author Topic: tire work  (Read 16799 times)

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
tire work
« on: January 29, 2006, 06:13:30 AM »
ok, heres the problem. i cant always work with a partner and i need 2 hit something! so i want 2 start working a tire, but i live in an apartment and there is no room n the basement. anybody have any ideas about what i can do/build? not 2 thrilled about the idea of holes in the wall and my girlfriend wont be 2 happy about a tire standing around so, i would prefer something free standing. any products out there?
ptotts

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
tire work
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 10:14:11 AM »
is there a park or backyard you can work out of? if so, are there trees? if so, some of the branches can be used as targets, that is if you cannot hang a tire up etc.

other ways if you have your gf hold some sticks or a staff and you can hit them. tell her, well, honey, you didn't want holes in the wall ;-)

mike young has a book out on homemade equipment which iirc was a collection of columns he wrote for the mag martial arts training. you may want to check that out. one device (everyone has variations on this device) i recall is him drilling a hole in the middle of one stick and putting a rope through and hanging that. but if you don't want holes in your apartment, you will have to find an alternative. hang on a tree.

this one i got from WCK article pic - get a wok (the chinese "pot" that is used to cook everything from stir-frying to steaming) - put in a pole/pipe/etc with all kinds of things attached to pole to represent arms etc - pour cement into it to hold pole/pipe in place.

hth
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

TomFurman

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.physicalstrategies.com
tire work
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 02:52:16 PM »
Can someone post some tire throwing workouts??

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
tire work
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 03:07:09 PM »
Quote from: TomFurman

woof Tom:

not quite what you are looking for, but i recall either TD or Guro Crafty posting on ED that either TD and/or DB or Gene LaBelle would toss the tire the length of a football field and repeat once on the other side.
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

mronkain

• View Profile
tire work
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 03:33:57 AM »
Hi, I once saw a training device which looked a bit like wall-mounted makiwara (see pics
here and here). It had a board mounted on a wall, with about one third of a tire attached to it. It was light enough to be hung on the wall and taken away when not needed (needs to be fastened securely) and yet durable enough to take proper punishment from sticks. The only thing you need permanently are the hooks/whatever on the wall to hang it from.

- Marko
Maniwalla kami sa tagumpay, hindi sa bigo
Maniwalla kami sa  kalusugan, hindi sa sakit
Maniwalla kami sa buhay, hindi sa kamatayan

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
tire work
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 08:58:08 AM »
thanx guys. great suggestions. i think i have and idea now. something  between the mirikiwa and the wok!
i have got 2 do something pretty soon, cause i broke a lamp the other day!! :oops:

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
tire work
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 08:57:51 PM »
i would love to hear some ideas as well.

awhile back i have seen in some ma mag a guy made a dummy out of tires. it had a head, body and lower leg. i dobut you have a place to store such a thing but for others out there they may enjoy having one in their backyard. i am sure a 4x4 post planted in the ground would work well. along with bolting  a few various sized tires on it.
another excellent feature someone mentioned to me is painting the angles on the tire. i am not sure if this was a burmese or thai source. it was for kicking a banana bag, but the same concept would work well with weapons. it would ingrain neural efficiency.
a wooden dummy is always another option, i know datu worden sells a padded one that bolts to the wall for about $500, it looks really rugged and i am sure would be awesome for weapons and unarmed practice.
i also saw on tv a long time ago some arnis practitioners hanging stuff from a tree on a string and those were used like a light bag in shadow boxing
getting a piece of chalk and mapping out footwork aor triangles works well.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
tire work
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 03:00:06 PM »
peregrine's post reminded me of something i heard about which is a good idea if you have the storage space:

build whatever you want onto a small wooden board, add wheels which you can "brake"/"lock" so it doesn't move - wheel it out to train, lock the wheels in place and train, when done, unlock and wheel it back into storage.

Sicilian

• View Profile
tire work
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 04:30:19 PM »
Stickgrappler,

Bro, are you in NY? Where do you train at? I'm here.

Pls e-mail me at tobyreyes1@yahoo.com

TopDog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 11:34:28 PM »
As you said, the tire throwing idea came from Gene LaBelle.  He used to own a junk yard with lots of tires and he would throw them from one side to the other (he told me this).  Since I did not have a junk yard, I would toss the same tire for a certain length of time trying to cover more distance each time.  At the peak, I was doing it for ten minutes each side with a pretty heavy tire.  The nice thing about them is 1) they're cheap (often free), 2) they  come in all sorts of sizes so you can "customize" your workout  based on the tire's dimensions.  At one point I tried throwing two at a time but had to stop because it was scaring the early morning joggers and their dogs.

E

chrismasonic

• View Profile
tire work
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 11:42:15 AM »
i think this is a great idea,
how far can you throw a car tyre?

bart

• View Profile
    • http://www.capitaldocepares.com
Re: tire work
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 08:10:24 AM »
Quote from: ponytotts
ok, heres the problem. i cant always work with a partner and i need 2 hit something! so i want 2 start working a tire, but i live in an apartment and there is no room n the basement. anybody have any ideas about what i can do/build? not 2 thrilled about the idea of holes in the wall and my girlfriend wont be 2 happy about a tire standing around so, i would prefer something free standing. any products out there?
ptotts

The first dummy I had for hitting with a stick was inspired by a similar dummy my friend and former training partner Steve DelCastillo had built.  It was a sewing dummy, as in the type tailors and seamstresses use, mounted onto the bottom of an office chair. He put an old WEKAF body protector on it and jammed a stick into the neck with some balled up t-shirts hockey taped to the top where he put a WEKAF helmet. He'd put his gear bag over the base of the office chair and voila, a dummy. It worked great for his apartment.

I was living in an apartment too. I didn't have any old gear so I needed to come up with something different. I went out scouting garage sales until I found a chair and bought it. I disconnected the seat and then stuck a thick 6' long hardwood dowel, the kind used for curtain rods, into the base. I took an eskrima stick and duct taped it across the top to make a "t". I took all the t-shirts that my wife was going to give to Goodwill, about 5, and wrapped the top part of the pole so that it was thinly covered. The wood of the pole was soft and just a single hit from a stick left a sizeable dent and further strikes took chips out. The t-shirts stopped the damage to the dowel. I took duct tape and wrapped it like a mummy so none of the t-shirt material was showing.  This also muffled the sound so my neighbors wouldn't get bothered by the noise. I lived upstairs and that was a concern. I then weighted the base with sandbags. It worked well for everything that I needed. It wasn't the same as a tire dummy, but it did the trick.

The total cost for this dummy was about $20, mostly for the dowel. I later unwrapped it and replaced the t-shirts with a towel which gave it a better feel. That dummy lasted for more than a year and fit perfectly into my coat closet in my apartment when I wasn't using it.

A recap of the materials:

1 wooden dowel about 6' long about 1.5" diameter
1 new eskrima stick
1 wheeled office chair
2 25lb bags of sand
1 roll of duct tape
5 t-shirts or 1 beach towel split into 2 lengthwise

I hope that helps.
Be Cool

------------------
Capital Doce Pares
www.capitaldocepares.com

fm2

• View Profile
tire work
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 09:27:59 AM »
That's a good idea Bart. I made one out of the grey PVC and some plastic flexpipe.  I used one to go into the base, glued some pieces to make the shoulders and a neck, a conector to a 90' bent pipe/flexpipe for the arms.

I put it in a patio umbrella stand, so it pivots, but doesn't move around. The 90' piece broke on the flexpipe, so I'll brace it and try adding some armor. One thing about it pivoting is that with both arms extended and open a bit it will counter you if you attack the lead arm.  :D

TopDog

• View Profile
Tire Throwing cont.
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 08:31:13 PM »
Depends on the tire.  The generic one I used (your basic Buick Skylark junker tire) was light enough to be tossed roughly 20 ft at the beginning of the "run" and about 12 feet  towards the end.  Someone - he was interested in my 'weird' traing method - gave me a very heavy tire that came off a jeep.  At first I could barely clear 8 ft a throw but then worked up to a max of about 13 feet.  It was so heavy that it would leave dents in the ground is it did not land flat.  I did this for about 4 weeks and then went back to the - now - lighter tire and it felt like a frisbee.  My guess is that I was able to throw it about 25 to 30 feet from start to finish.  It's hard to describe what it does to you other than you feel quick and impervious.  

E

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
tire work
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 08:48:52 PM »
TD,
  What was your preference on gripping the tire when you had the stick in your right hand?

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

TopDog

• View Profile
What was your preference on gripping the tire ....
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 09:59:35 PM »
I switch  around but the stick is usually in the back hand.

E