Author Topic: Sparring method/Progression  (Read 6006 times)

Blade Enthusiast

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/art2/rapidorealismo
Sparring method/Progression
« on: January 31, 2006, 02:16:59 AM »
can anybody share their method or progression in teaching and/or practicing Sparring Drills from beginners to advance as well as how to develop defensive ( Roof, Umbrella, fourwall,Etc.) tools reflexes against any attack.
* Hope you don't mind to also post your answer/ideas to the Rapido Realismo forum http://rapidorealismo.netfreehost.com found in our site www.angelfire.com/art2/rapidorealismo it will help some of my student who read it.

Gumagalang,

Isagani
Train Hard, Keep it Combat, Make It Real
http://www.angelfire.com/art2/rapidorealismo
combatpamuok@yahoo.com
you can also post your ideas here
http://rapidorealismo.netfreehost.com

TopDog

• View Profile
Sparring for newcomers
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 01:28:41 AM »
My feeling has been that if you intend to teach someone how to stickfight, get them used to having something coming at them from day one.  I usually don't get to drills until I've had a chance to see how they do with some simple knife fighting.  Put on the fencing mask, light gloves and light wooden dowels (for beginners) or the newer aluminum knifes that have a bit of an edge and a point (not for beginners) and see how they handle themselves as "empty cups".  I am more interested in how they behave while on the verge of an epiphany than if their swing or technique is perfect on day one.  It really helps you get a sense of their essence.  
Knife fighting/sparring is nice and simple compared to stickfighting - and a lot less damaging too.  With first timers, I will always don on a heavier than normal glove because it takes a few moments - sometimes a few sessions - for the person to feel comfortable hitting me.    Consequently, I have to let them hit me uncontested for a period of time.  With more advanced players, it usually only takes an exchange or two and they're hooked.  
When it comes to drills for a Roof block, Umbrella etc, I will have the fighters pick any rattan stick they want and I use a flexible padded stick.  We both wear light head gear and gloves are optional.  I get to swing at them as hard as I want and they get to block and close and maybe get in a thrust or takedown.  The object is to get in as clean as possible. The lessons that most get is
1) I swing pretty hard
2) It's a lot harder to close unscathed than most thought.
3) It's much easier to close behind a roof block if you've actually put it to the test a few times.
The flip side to this is when I let the fighters be the hitter.  They then get an appreciation of just how much power it takes to keep a determined opponent off them.  My advice to them is if your opponent isn't ready to flinch or get out of the way when you start your power shot, you're not hitting hard enough.

E

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 08:21:47 AM »
Top Dog,
  You have opened my eyes.  Rattan on soft stick had never entered my mind.  I am going to try this with my students.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 01:28:33 PM »
Top dog nice insight.
i have seen boxing coaches do this as well as protection dog trainers. take a green guy and put the pressure on(of course being careful not to break him).  interesting how you have applied it to the stick, what they want to see is how the student is made, basically genetics, heart, reaction time, style, agility, warrior spirit.  all with a minimum to no training.