Author Topic: Kenpo Karate?  (Read 10108 times)

jaydogg72

• View Profile
Kenpo Karate?
« on: February 16, 2006, 07:08:34 AM »
Anyone here train in any form of Kenpo/Kempo/Kenbojukan? I am interested in this art for self defense....

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
Kenpo Karate?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 07:44:05 AM »
i studied kajukenpo under sling patterson for 2 years in tx. as i understand it(correct me if im wrong),  it is one of the early "Blending" styles. i enjoyed it @ the time, but it is a "hard" style and the focus is on power. long strong stances, traditional japanese punching. board breaking("boards dont hit back") :D
 i had studied a traditional karate style as a kid, so it was a good transition. i remember allot of self defense patterns (i.e. when this happens do this).   i dont want 2 start a  one style is better than the other debate, but i have found some of the other styles i studied more practical.( shaolin k.f., f.m.a., jkd).
i wanna make 2 points b4 i end my 2cents. (1) i studied kajukenpo 15 years ago and i dont know how much the style has evolved since then.
(2) i did have 2 use it (kjkpo) on the street a couple of times and i t saved my a"%!
i think the question that u have 2 ask yourself is, what r u looking 4 N a martial art? what do u want 2 get out of it?

bzarnett

• View Profile
    • http://www.sphereofinfluence.ca
Kenpo Karate?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 07:55:38 AM »
I studied American Kenpo for about 15 years I guess. Kenpo can be a great art but you need to find a good teacher who practices it in a functional manner - with progressive resistance, etc. Kenpo can be useful or useless depending on how its taught and how you train it.

You can do all the Kenpo self-defense techniques from Five Swords to Twirling Mace but it won't equate to being able to protect yourself if you never work it against someone trying to resist you.

Then again, the above statement goes for any martial art system and coach.

Cheers,
Bryan

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
Kenpo Karate?
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 05:54:12 PM »
I study Kajukenbo under two teachers:  my long time teacher Master Richard Lewis (Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo) and my new teacher (one year) John Bono (Bono JKD/Kajukenbo).   The value of the self-defense training depends on the practice as well as the techniques.  If you train with little body contact, it's hard to learn how both take and deliver.  Since I actually used techniques from this style in the Gathering, I credit my teachers for helping me survive those fights.

Gints
Baltic Dog

Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo (Prof. Richard Lewis)
3rd Degree Black Belt Instructor

Bono JKD/Kajukenbo (Prof. John Bono)
Gentlemen's Fighting Club

jaydogg72

• View Profile
Kenpo
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 10:12:26 AM »
I wish there was a good Kenpo/Kempo/Kajukenbo school near me in Whittier or Brea.

carlo

• View Profile
Kenpo Karate?
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 07:44:24 PM »
Hey man, I can't recommend a kenpo school nearby bacause all the ones I know of are in Pasadena where some of the original studios are located but I can recommend my friend and teacher Just south on the 605 from you.

http://www.intmartialarts.com/

Come by and say hi.  I'm usually there on saturday mornings.
A nation of one ancestry and race is weak. We must hold strong our custom of welcoming all foreigners who seek to join our cause, treating them with dignity and respect and teaching them our language and customs.

-Attila the Hun