Author Topic: Next gathering...  (Read 13040 times)

Islanddogg

• View Profile
Next gathering...
« on: July 31, 2006, 12:05:39 PM »
I should know this, but when is the next gathering?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Next gathering...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 01:39:32 PM »
Woof Island Dog:

Sunday before Thanksgiving.

BTW, congrats on another fine performance at the June Gathering.

The Adventure Continues,
CD

fgb

• View Profile
the next gathering
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 06:49:11 AM »
I would love to attend the next gathering anyone from BC seattle or anywhere up north of portland going?
I would love to catch a ride
and yes I will fight
thanks
there is more to kali than kali itself

mmiller

• View Profile
Next gathering...
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 11:56:59 PM »
This is for Crafty and/or anyone who may wish to reply.

On another forum i frequent i was responding to a question concerning the "Die Less Often" Video.   The questioner was wanting to know if anyone had seen the video as he was thinking of purchaseing it.   I replied by saying i have only seen bits and pieces but it looked like excellent material.   I also stated that if it is Dog Bro material you can bet it is tested using resistance...one of the motto's being "If it is taught it is fought"
Next day i check the forum and find that some are saying that in recent years there have been a lot of techniques taught that have not been applied at the gatherings etc.   Now i have not been to a gathering but was wondering what techniques have not been used against real resistance...i cannot imagine Crafty showing something that would not work for real!   Something was also mentioned about it being   too tough to really know knife fighting, as it is just too dangerous to really do it etc.  

Any comments?

Michael

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Next gathering...
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 12:17:55 AM »
Woof Michael:

My email is Craftydog@dogbrothers.com  

Would you please email me the URL?

TIA,
Crafty Dog

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Next gathering...
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 08:36:20 AM »
Woof Michael:

Thank you for the URL.

My philosophy is that when I put something out, people are entitled to have their opinions, whatever their reasons.

The Adventure continues,
CD

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
Next gathering...
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 01:16:32 AM »
Next day i check the forum and find that some are saying that in recent years there have been a lot of techniques taught that have not been applied at the gatherings etc.

I find that alot of the fights move quickly and that if people aren't aware of what they are looking for then they tend to miss what's going on. I've consciously applied techniques that i've learned from the videos and from Guro Crafty. I'm pretty much amazed at some of the stuff i've seen at the Gathering.

xtremekali

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/mykewillis/
Next gathering...
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 04:26:26 PM »
Woof all,

I am hoping to take part in the next gathering.  Any suggetions to training solo.  It is almost impossible to get serious hardcore training partners in my area.

TIA

Myke Willis
For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
Next gathering...
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 05:25:35 AM »
If you can't get people to swing sticks at you, maybe you can get people to do blending excericses with you. you and your partner pretty much remain in your bubble but explore openings and swing hard. kind of like at the end of the los triques mood piece clip. its a good way to slowly get people used to the idea of swinging a stick at someone and being swung at.
in the total abscence of a partner, just time yourself for minute sprints of swinging your stick and working your footwork with your imaginary partner...

i also really like the solo training during rocky 4.

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
Next gathering...
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 09:51:13 PM »
this is concerning the '' in recent years there has been a lot of techniques taught that have not been applied at the gatherings'' statement made on that other forum. i have been involved fighting at the gatherings only in ''recent years'' and i've used attacking blocks, i've used the off lead, the lameco cross step, drift shots to the knee, combining stick and footwork and cycle drills have been VERY useful for my movement during those few fights i've had, and the footwork matrix defined in recent dvds have helped me to see openings/angles for attack and to stay safe. the staff DVD is almost exclusively movements guro marc has used in his own staff fights and movements guro ben (lonely dog) uses. los triques and krabi krabong have also been utlilized effectively by students trained by guro marc. during guro ben's last fights at last years gathering he used the camel toe and staff movements that can be found in the cycle drills dvd and the staff dvd. everything that guro marc has put out is being used at the gatherings to this day, whether it's used as guro marc says a generator or it is the actual technique (and sometimes,most times, it is both). kali tudo- i do not plan on fighting NHB but i can tell you i even use this in my boxing/kickboxing sparring. i was really a kind of surprised a comment like that was said. these are only my examples, but there are many others AND you sure do not have to be one of guro marc's students to benefit from any of the DVDs .  to be sure everything that guro marc puts  out is used in the gatherings to THIS day, as well as being used in preparing for a gathering, in friendly play, friendly sparring, hard sparring, etc.

and there are many,many useful tools to ''play'' with at today's gatherings from even the 1st series.

Francisco

Sisco T.

• Power User
    • View Profile
Next gathering...
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 09:53:53 PM »
by the way bjung- YOU DA MAN!!! how about e-mailing a pinoy sometime. it's nice to stay in contact with friends you know. e-mail me a what's up!

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
!!
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 05:25:45 AM »
Woof Mike, I strongly encourage you to go and get into a gathering! I know you've been training for a number of years and I'am quite sure your skills are up to par.
I have fought in two gatherings, with min. group type or serious sparring activity. My teenage son has been my biggest training partner.......Mostly a feeder and and drill partner weve done some sparring but not a lot, mostly just to get used to seeing a stick at real time speed comming at you and looking for opertunitys so that, I might reconize them in a fight.
visualization I think can carry you pretty far. My best suggestion is to work on your conditioning, do either tire work or bag work with your stick....and remmember at the gatherings, its a fight most of all.
 If things go bad for you with the stick you can always change tactics and take it to the ground.
Maybe most importantly is not "how well" you do in your fights but what you learn and come away with that counts the most.
Fighting in a gathering is a huge growing and learning experience.......plus you get to meet a great group of guys who are out there having fun beatin the crap out of each other with no ill regard for each other what so ever. ITS AWESOME!!!!  GO DO IT!
                                                                TG
Howling Dog

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Next gathering...
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 05:34:22 AM »
Woof All:

Herewith one of my teaching techniques for helping a man concerned about how he well he will do his first time or for a man disappointed in his initial performance:

Q:? You remember the first time you had sex?

A:? Of course!

Q:? Were you any good at it?

A:? Ummm , , , well , , ,? not really.

Q:? Have you gotten any better since then?

A: :-D

Yip!
Guro Crafty

PS:  Feel free to quote me if you use this one  :-D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 03:53:52 PM by Crafty_Dog »

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 01:49:12 PM »
Woof All:

Herewith one of my teaching techniques for helping a man concerned about how he well he will do his first time or for a man disappointed in his initial performance:

Q:  You remember the first time you had sex?

A:  Of course!

Q:  Were you any good at it?

A:  Ummm , , , well , , ,  not really.

Q:  Have you gotten any better since then?

A: :-D

Yip!
Guro Crafty

haha.
so that means solo drills and long showers with extra soap will help.    :-o

xtremekali

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/mykewillis/
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 05:16:02 PM »
Woof,

Thanks for the advice. I hope to bang with you in Nov.  Guro C. anything you care to share to help this poor old man get ready. :evil:

First time sex.  Thought I was great for the first 10 seconds. :-)

Myke
For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know