DBMA Martial Arts Forum > Martial Arts Topics

the titles of the teachers in the fillipino martial arts ("Kali")

<< < (3/54) > >>

logan:
no lineage before 1900`s. okay but maybe the
lineage start in the 60`s, starts in america... ????
why not?

in medival-arts the lineage begins again, start new---
after 200(?)years.

greetings bobi

Anonymous:
that's one way to look at it, logan.

but then you have to ask why and how FMA lineage began in the 50s and 60s, to document early 1900s eskrimadors?

answer: because filipino eskrimadors felt they had to, amidst east asian arts which became popular and commercialized after WWII in the u.s.  new FMA fighters (i.e. presas, inosanto, largusa, etc.) felt they had to legitimize themselves thru lineages, following the tradition of karate, judo, wing-tsun, tae kwon do, etc.

Guest:

--- Quote from: Anonymous ---historical figure, bro.

for all we know he could've been some old, feeble datu (leader) calling the shots in the magellan coastal battle from a hammock on the beach, while watching the fight unfold.

doesn't support 'lineage' in the FMA.  name another FMA master that pre-dates the 1900s.
--- End quote ---

That is the problem with history.  When it becomes revisionist and there is the six degres of seperation, it all goes to shit.

Looks like the Spaniards and Americans did a postal on Filipino history.  Who knows what the real truth is anymore?  Which renders this thread moot... as well as any opinion since it is as current as yesterday's old news.

This is what I am gleaning from where this is gonna' go.  Best to end it now.  We are all being lied to in the end.

james:

--- Quote from: Anonymous ---that's one way to look at it, logan.

but then you have to ask why and how FMA lineage began in the 50s and 60s, to document early 1900s eskrimadors?

answer: because filipino eskrimadors felt they had to, amidst east asian arts which became popular and commercialized after WWII in the u.s.  new FMA fighters (i.e. presas, inosanto, largusa, etc.) felt they had to legitimize themselves thru lineages, following the tradition of karate, judo, wing-tsun, tae kwon do, etc.
--- End quote ---

personally, i tend to agree with the above.

masterboy:
Woof Guro Crafty,

"but I am of the opinion that the term does have proper lineage."

please educate us of this proper lineage. if there is such an ancient term as kali .and if there were pre-Spanish styles of Kali

...then my follow up question would be that would these ancient Kali styles have direct lineage to the same of the Kali styles that "Filipino-americans" (some who are even revered as the authority but have never even stepped foot in any of the 7100 islands)or homebred Filipinos who are marketing the art in the US for cash have named the art Kali?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version