Author Topic: The Snaggletooth Variations:  (Read 11234 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The Snaggletooth Variations:
« on: December 16, 2006, 09:50:40 AM »
Woof All:

We have just finished editing our newest DBMA DVD. It is titled "The Snaggletooth Variations" (TSV).

TSV builds upon "Combining Stick & Footwork". CSF was the first DVD for Dog Brothers Martial Arts and was the first DVD after our "Real Contact Stickfighting" series. As a fighter and as a teacher, it is my experience that most people do not move their feet well in good integration with their hitting during a fight. It is also my experience that most peole feel incredibly caucasian when going through the training necessary to achieve skills that will actually appear in the adrenal state. This is why CSF took a "basic building blocks" kind of approach.

TSV on the other hand, although it starts with the "basic power combo", which is something I regard as extremely important, practical and accessible to people relatively early on their path in popping their opponents' bubbles and cracking them in the head, has the bulk of its material aimed at intermediate and advanced practitioners and fighters. The concepts, material, and training progression will take some time for most people to absorb.

It is intensely bilateral, both in its footwork and its stickwork. It is both single stick and double stick-- but in the double stick, due to the progression, either stick can and does act as single stick.

Bilateralism is the foundation for 360 degree skills. It works with the "attacking block" concept (and if you have already worked with our "Attacking Blocks" DVD, this will help).

As it progresses, TSV "breaks the mirror". The "mirror" is our term for patterns whereing the right always meets the right, the left always meets the left, etc. Breaking the mirror means that left meets right or vice versa. Breaking the mirrior means that merges are part of the repertoire, not just meets.

In TSV I am assisted by Guro Lonely Dog, who as is always is the case, does an outstanding job.

Because there is a strong taste of Lameco in the material, the extras footage includes an interesting portion a lesson of Punong Guro Edgar Sulite training Salty Dog in my backyard.

The Adventure continues,
Guro Crafty

PS: Now we have to design the box cover.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 09:58:53 AM by Crafty_Dog »

armydoc

• View Profile
Re: The Snaggletooth Variations:
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 09:40:21 PM »
Sounds great!  Can't wait to see it!

Keith

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 06:40:21 AM »
We'll be getting to the boxcover after the holidays.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 04:08:56 AM »
Now that the box for "Grandfathers 2: Maestro Sonny Umpad" is finished, this is front and center.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 03:19:55 PM »
The mention of 360 awareness made me think of this link a friend sent to me:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7175997216454163399&q=gatka
as i understand it, the sikhs developed much of their fighting strategies from the need of a few to fight the many.
It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Miyamoto Musashi.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 03:27:29 PM »
TSV just arrived.    8-)

Mongo Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 06:39:12 PM »
Hot damn Crafty!!!Tiffany and I been working on both the attacking blocks  and the combine stick and foot work in our efforts to look less like Caucasian more foot work!!!Looking forward to seeing what her and I can do with this. Love the vid clip and was wondering  where you found the films clip of the Filipino tribes attacking one other. Would love to see that movie! lol Thanks again for the pointers on the attacking blocks at the Penn semm. Gary soon to be doing the snaggletooth variations. :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 08:17:55 PM »
Gary:

I very much enjoyed meeting the two of you in person and working with you-- and the ride to Pittsburgh.   There's not many people with whom an extended conversation about the shift from demand side economics during Nixon-Ford-Carter to supply side economics under Regan-Bush takes place  :lol: 

As for that clip, our editor Night Owl, who is Filipino, found it.  It is from a movie about Lapu Lapu.   I'm watching my personal copy of the DVD right now and when I get to where we give credit for it I will post it here.

All the best to a new and less Caucausion you in your Snaggletooth Variations training :-D

Guro Crafty

Mongo Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 06:02:04 AM »
Have to admitt Crafty that conversation on shift from demand side economics during Nixon-Ford-Carter to supply side economics under Reagan and Bush. Was  a mind bender but I just told my self that your a former lawyer and proably a well trained one at that. I was a litte bit taken back about the way that you can start a conversation about a great many subject matters.
Cool  about the flim lapu lapu and the snagle tooth varations. nOw a bit off good news when I got home from the sem, I ran into a guy who i knew as a kidd and he lives out by you a good freind of my older sister who works in the fitness industry. He lives about 10 min to 15 min away fom you!!!
He says come on out and and stay with him, now my other student who is taking me out to front site in may is intersted in bankrolling my contuineing education in the DBMA !!!!!!! That is going to be a coversation on the way to fireing range in may after that trip trust me I will be joining up!!!! I just had to take care of a few things on my end for this to happen. I told my student that for me to do that I need to join and train with you more to ge to that point that i can present DBMA with your blessing so with a little luck and little skill you will be hearing and seeing me before next year thanks again Crafty. As allways after I type this off to the school so Tiffany and I can spar we are moving up a stick size today. :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 07:33:15 AM »
Good news indeed.  Keep me posted.