Poll

How many DB gatherings have you fought at?

This will be my first time.
3 (15%)
Second time fighter
3 (15%)
Third time fighter
5 (25%)
Fourth time fighter
2 (10%)
Five or more gatherings as a fighter.
7 (35%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: November 05, 2007, 03:06:57 PM

Author Topic: June 2007 Gathering  (Read 171903 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: June 2007 Gathering
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2007, 03:50:03 PM »
I just spoke with Top Dog and he confirms that he is coming  :mrgreen:

I just spoke with Salty Dog and he says he thinks he can make it , , ,

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2007, 04:07:55 PM »
I new this one was going to be special!  Q: Are they both fighting? 
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.  dalai lama

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2007, 04:50:13 PM »
No, just an appearance from the mists of time to witness the present.  :lol: :-D 8-)

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2007, 05:34:28 PM »
Woof, The presence of the"council of elders" is like gas is to a fire. I agree with Tom this is going to be a special gathering.
I think the fighting is going to be especially "spirited"
Gettin all jacked up on bone crushing terror :evil:......... :cry: :-o :| :evil:
                                                                         Dog Tom
Howling Dog

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2007, 07:06:57 PM »
I vote for the walls.  The walls of the R1 gym provided much needed variety to the fights in addition to enforcing a boundary.  In their absence, the fight moderator (Crafty Dog?) will need to stop and start fights that are prematurely interrupted by excessive boundary violations.

Great news on Mr. Jacksons's allowance of cameras.  As before, I think it would be a good idea to limit the number of cameras at the event.  This reduces the number of stray flashes as well as the chance that people walk away with unauthorized video clips, as pretty much every compact camera has a video mode that can record many, many minutes of video on a single flash memory card.

Cool.  Looking forward to this event.  Crafty Dpg landed the documentary of a lifetime!

Gints
Baltic Dog

Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo (Prof. Richard Lewis)
3rd Degree Black Belt Instructor

Bono JKD/Kajukenbo (Prof. John Bono)
Gentlemen's Fighting Club

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2007, 07:39:25 PM »
Should we create another thread with a poll about walls so it is easier to track?
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2007, 07:54:53 PM »
Robert:

Dan is a pretty bright guy, I think he is up to keeping track of things :-)

All:

Gints makes a very good point about dual function cameras.  This concerns us.

CD

SB_Mig

« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2007, 08:21:22 PM »
Crafty,

I think that you can pretty much apply dual use to most handheld electronics these days: pda's, mobile phones, cameras. 95% have the ability to record video of some kind. I've noticed a ton of cellphones being used at concerts these days to capture video footage.

Perhaps a "turn it off at the door" policy in regards to cellphones and pdas, with a gentle "no video" reminder to those with cameras?

Just my 2cents...

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2007, 08:29:25 PM »
Robert:

Dan is a pretty bright guy, I think he is up to keeping track of things

OK ... didnt mean to insult anyone's intelligence .. lol.  I was just hoping to get more of the fighters to voice their opinion...
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Scotty Dog

• Frequent Poster
  • It's Only a flesh wound
    • View Profile
    • DBMA UK
« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2007, 11:12:30 PM »
Having only fought in the big open space of the Euro Gatherings, I was a little concerned that the smaller space of R1 would restrict my usual tactics of running a way  :-P

As long as the ritual space is on the larger side, I like the idea of a wall  8-)
"Cos Beliefs, are just that. They're nothing, they're how your taught and raised. That doesn't make them real...
Everything you've learned is in fact just learned & not necessarily true"

Bill Hicks

Cyborg Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2007, 11:56:23 PM »
I am all in for the wall. I like the idea of having at least one wall to work with. It provides a little more motivation to have proper enviromental awareness.

c-cyborg dog greg

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2007, 05:13:40 PM »
It would be nice to take pictures. Better yet, I remember years ago video's of the days fights were available to the fighters. It was nothing fancy(just a rough cut) I know it was difficult for Marc to make copies for the small #'s lnvolved plus time and cost to him. Still it was great to have a chronicle of such a special time in our lives that we all threw caution to the wind and ran with the pack of Dog Brothers!!  TS
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 09:14:43 PM by Tom Stillman »
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.  dalai lama

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2007, 06:05:41 PM »
Woof, It seems as though this gathering will be much more spectator friendly than at R1 gym.
I would still like to see the people be the wall and force footwork to get the take down and the crash
Though, I understand that the wall can be used as an enviormental issue.
Bottom line with or without the wall, the room to operate is still limited by boundries.
My question is with or without wall, where will the fighters stage for their fights? This too will take up space thus also limiting the view for the spectators.
My view is the wall takes up a spot where someone might sit and get a good view of the fights.
I still vote NO wall, but if we have a wall let it be on a narrow end of the mat and let it be onley one wall.
                                                                    Dog Tom
Howling Dog

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2007, 09:23:33 PM »
Old man question: Is their a bathroom? lol   :lol:

Scotty Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
    • DBMA UK
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2007, 11:14:16 PM »
Old man question: Is their a bathroom? lol   :lol:

hygenic Man question : Are there Showers  :wink:
"Cos Beliefs, are just that. They're nothing, they're how your taught and raised. That doesn't make them real...

Bill Hicks

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2007, 06:22:34 AM »
Yes there are bathrooms  :lol:

I've been meaning to ask DJ (Dan Jackson) about showers.  In the absence thereof I'm thinking some hoses might do  :-D

MonyetNakal

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2007, 12:55:47 PM »
've been meaning to ask DJ (Dan Jackson) about showers.  In the absence thereof I'm thinking some hoses might do  :-D

You mean like these?

picture © Dog Brothers Inc 2005

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 05:01:51 PM by MonyetNakal »

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2007, 01:52:43 PM »
After some thought, maybe it makes better sence to not allow any type of camera devices, and phones be turned off to show respect for OP and their interests.   Tom

danjack

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2007, 08:26:05 AM »
Some answers:

We're setting bleachers at one end of the room that should hold 100. We're creating an area behind the bleachers as a fighter staging area. It has access to bathrooms. No showers. We're thinking of bringing in extra PortaPotties for spectators.

The wall will be about 6' high and 20' long along one of the longer (40') sides of the mat. Having it feels like it will give the fighters some options in how to work the space. The other two sides will be wide open for spectators.

Regarding cameras, it seems that what you've done at previous Gatherings should work at this one. For my purposes, I just need to prevent people from shooting long stretches of quality video and everybody in the audience taking pictures rather than watching and reacting to the fights.

Dan

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2007, 09:28:51 AM »
Danjack, Just wondering.....By having the wall on one of the longer edges of the mat and being onley half the length of that particular side.
What are the chances of a fighter being ran into what I will call the "knife edge" of the wall, or the end of the wall.
Sharp edges or corners are a concern as I feel some of the fighters will push, to run the guys into the wall in a event to corner the opponent, and may inadvertently do so when the angle may not be there.
Just a thought and a little bit of a concern.
                                                                         Dog Tom
Howling Dog

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2007, 09:43:19 AM »
For our purposes shooting any video at all is verboten. :x  In addition to the obvious business reasons, there is also the very important matter of fighters knowing that they can come to play secure in the knowledge that they will not be unfairly portrayed. 

For example several years back we had someone sneak a video of a fight and spread it all over the internet at "Our Style beats Style XYZ".     This made for some very bad feelings on the part of Style XYZ (a knife oriented system) and for a while there was talk of settling things on the sidelines at the next Gathering.   Fortunately I was able to steer things in a different direction.

Folks, what we have built is something very special.  If we do it right, it looks easy.  That does not mean it is easy. 

I repeat, shooting any video at all is verboten.

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2007, 06:05:17 PM »
Great!  Also, I hope there is enough circulation, not just A/C, to allow for adequate oxygen.  The larger crowds will consume that quickly.  With the limited circulation in the fencing masks, oxygen-starved fighters will offer less fight.
Baltic Dog

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2007, 06:48:59 PM »
Hopefully I'am not being seen as toooo big a pain in the arse, but I have a question concerning the stageing the fighters behind the bleachers.
What kind of view does that offer the fighters to the ongoing fights.
Not onley do I like to fight, but I also like to watch. Much can be gained and learned from watching.
If we have to move out of the staging area to watch the fights it may detract fighters from getting or taking fights as the fighting tribe may be dispersed among the crowd.
                                                                                         Dog Tom
Howling Dog

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2007, 04:42:25 AM »
Woof All:

Maija left a phone message last night that she has mailed in her fighter's registration  8-)

The Adventure continues!
Crafty Dog

Scotty Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
    • DBMA UK
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2007, 06:12:49 AM »
SWEET  :-D :mrgreen: :-D

Bill Hicks

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2007, 10:47:21 AM »
Awesome! Give it up for the ladies with guts!  Much Much Respect.   Tom

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2007, 09:12:02 AM »
Salty Dog is confirmed  :mrgreen:

Concerning the fight surface:  Subject to confirmation, it looks like our fight surface will be judo tatami mats.

Point Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 06, 2007, 10:43:30 PM »
Salty Dog is confirmed  :mrgreen:

Sweet!  :-D

looks like our fight surface will be judo tatami mats.

Not wanting to be picky, but as an old school Judoka... tatami are the reed mats.  But it is also the brand name of olympic style Judo mats, just hoping to avoid confussion  :? (I've been bitten by this before  :-) ).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 12:07:39 AM by ColinS »

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2007, 11:08:20 PM »
Not wanting to be picky, but as an old school Judoka... tatami are the reed mats.  But it is also the brand name of olympic style Judo mats, just hoping to avoid confussion   (I've been bitten by this before   ).

I was wondering about that myself, I searched using the term "tatami mats" which came up with the picture of the reed mats as well as the foam "puzzle" mats.

It would be kinda cool to use the reed mats Im sure they wont be as forgiving as the foam though, lol.

Scotty Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
    • DBMA UK
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2007, 11:17:26 PM »
I'm assuming it'll be wrestling boots or mat shoes only ?

Bill Hicks

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2007, 04:59:51 AM »
I stand corrected on "tatami"  :oops: :lol:

Good point on the shoes.  Yes.  Attention Fighters!  Please wear wrestling or other mat type shoes!

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2007, 02:57:52 PM »
I was looking forward to wearing short pants and sandals.  :?  It worked out well last time I fought at a gathering!  Not only did it keep with the theme of "REALITY"  (wearing every day clothing) it also kept me more honest when it came to defending against knee and foot attacks. I don't think I have ever worn mat shoes before? I will buy some and try them out.  Q: I assume wearing socks or going barefoot is OK?  :|    Tom
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 03:36:00 PM by Tom Stillman »

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2007, 05:28:32 PM »
   F.Y.I.    "Sports Chalet"  sporting goods store, carries "ASICS" brand wrestling style mat shoes for about $49.00
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 09:56:32 AM by Tom Stillman »

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2007, 06:39:54 PM »
I'm all for the move towards unspecialized footwear.  I've worn wrestling shoes for past Gatherings, but since I don't train with them, they are really quite foreign to me.  An issue with the wrestling mat is the sticky surface, so any shearing action on your foot will tear off some skin.  I was reminded by this a couple of weeks ago when I grappled barefoot on a mat.  Two weeks later, the shredded skin is making healing progress.   I would have done this Gathering barefoot were it not for that lesson, which has a great probability of reducing your fight count.
Baltic Dog

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2007, 09:56:02 PM »
I have experienced the same problem as you in the past! (foot abrasions)  Socks take  care of the problem although they can also be slippery!

Scotty Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
    • DBMA UK
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2007, 11:18:07 PM »
I was going to ask how easy wrestling boots are to get over there.

The can only be ordered online here & I don't want to risk them not arriving before I leave (my old ones are falling apart)

Bill Hicks

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2007, 11:53:49 PM »
Im not sure how far this is from the warehouse but there is a Sports Authority in Burbank.

1900 Empire Ave
#R12
Burbank , CA 91506
(818) 260-0504   

Well actually after using Yahoo maps it appears it is around the corner.

Distance: 0.8 milesTime: 2 mins (approx.)

http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result.php?q1=2435+N.+Naomi+St.+Burbank+CA+91504&q2=1900+Empire+Ave+Burbank+CA+91506+US&q3=&q4=&q5=

Scotty Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
    • DBMA UK
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2007, 09:19:27 AM »
thanks  :-D

Bill Hicks

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: June 2007 Gathering/ Footwear
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2007, 09:32:23 AM »
Hey Graeme, "SPORTS CHALET" sporting goods store is  5  minutes from fight location in the city of Burbank. Check map.  Locations:             http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result.php?q1=2435+n+naomi+st+burbank+ca&q2=Burbank%2C+CA+91502&q3=&q4=&q5=  
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 10:01:38 AM by Tom Stillman »

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2007, 02:29:24 PM »
Just purchased "ASICS" brand  wrestling shoe from Sports Chalet in West Hills. The Burbank store quoted a price of $49.95    West Hills price $39.95.  Be sure to mention this if you purchase them from the Burbank (or other) store as I am sure they will match the price!   Shoe is black with white souls and white stripe on sides. It  has a  high top with fold down Velcro tung to cover the laces.  Big-5 sporting goods stores also carries them.  Looks like a well made shoe,  but cheep.       8-)     Tom
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 04:16:17 PM by Tom Stillman »

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2007, 02:53:33 PM »
Thanks for the info Tom.  Im going to hit the stores this weekend and check prices.

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2007, 04:11:39 PM »
Woof, I have that shoe. Its a baisic wrestling shoe. Nothin special. but a wrestling shoe is nothing special anyway,it will get the job done for you and the price seems right. Not likley you can find anything less expensive.
                                                                            TG
Howling Dog

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2007, 09:10:25 AM »
Woof Guro Crafty, Just curious as to what the theme will be for the knife fights this time. One on one, two on two ect.....
                                                                       Dog Tom
Howling Dog

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2007, 09:50:27 AM »
Anyone have an idea of the 3 closest hospitals.? Also there levels and reputations.
A google map would be very useful for all.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2007, 03:48:41 PM »
Closest Hosiptals according to Google Earth

(Closest)
Empire Medical Center
2307 Empire Ave W
Burbank, CA 91504
(818) 841 3420
0.6 mi (about 2 mins)
Directions;
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=2435+N+Naomi+St,+Burbank,+CA+91504&daddr=34.19184,-118.335+(%22Empire+Medical+Center%22)&ie=UTF8&v=2.1&cv=4.1.7087.5048&hl=en&z=16&om=1

Providence Urgent Care Center
3413 Pacific Ave W
Burbank, CA 91505
(818) 953 4488
1.2 mi (about 4 mins)
Directions:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=2435+N+Naomi+St,+Burbank,+CA+91504&daddr=34.18832,-118.348+(%22Providence+Urgent+Care+Center%22)&ie=UTF8&v=2.1&cv=4.1.7087.5048&hl=en&z=15&om=1

Southern California
10750 Washington Blvd
Burbank, CA 91504
(818) 565 0123
1.2 mi (about 4 mins)
Directions:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=2435%20N%20Naomi%20St%2C%20Burbank%2C%20CA%2091504&daddr=34.20005%2C-118.329%20(%22Southern%20California%22)&ie=utf-8&v=2.1&cv=4.1.7087.5048&hl=en

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2007, 04:32:12 PM »
Thank you Robert.

Changing subjects entirely, I was talking with C-Cyborg the other day as we were training on the mat at RAW/R1 and he expressed regret that there would be no walls, or better yet, corners into which to back one's opponent.  He remembered True Dog doing exactly that to him.

The fight area of this Gathering is, within a foot, identical to the space at RAW.  The difference of course being the absence of walls (but there are some 4x4 posts the padding of which I am working out with Dan Jackson).  The point I would like to make is this.  When back your opponent up against the boundaries of the fight area, PLEASE TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT (within the context of "Friends at the end of the day" of course!).  We are still looking for wrestling mats to stack around the perimeter.

I am toying with the idea of preparing some volunteers to patrol the periphery with Muay Thai pads or something of the sort to protect fighters as well as possible from hard landings outside the fight area and to push them back onto it.  What do y'all think?

TAC,
CD

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2007, 06:29:48 PM »
It would be reminiscent of a school yard fight! (except the pads and sticks) lol  8-)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 09:28:24 AM by Tom Stillman »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2007, 07:56:53 AM »
Pretty Kitty found this:

Providence Urgent Care Center
(818) 953-4488
3413 W Pacific Ave
Burbank, CA 91505

This might be more relevant for the dings, cuts, & bruises more likely to happen than a hospital.

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2007, 01:07:28 PM »
My $.02 on patrolling the periphery .... Why?  The Magic Words work fine.

The fighters need to be aware during the fight so they don't hurt their opponent or a spectator (or themselves) by taking the fight off the matts.

Spectators are warned that - like the fighters - they are responsible for themselves.  They can sit in the front row with a kid in their lap or they can wear full WEKAF body armor and stand in the back row - it is their choice.
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2007, 04:55:32 PM »
Woof Corey, Thats cause your just a mean SOB :-D......Just kidding. :lol: Though you are right.  I kinda like the idea of the pad boys keeping the fight on the mat.....but either way I'am good with it.
I'am really glad there won't be a wall.
I think the spectators surrounding the mat will really juice the atmosphere...kinda like a pit, or as Tom said a school yard brawl.
Its gonna ROCK fer sure :mrgreen:
                                                               Dog Tom/SB
Howling Dog