Author Topic: Larry Hartsell died  (Read 9875 times)

TomFurman

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.physicalstrategies.com
Larry Hartsell died
« on: August 21, 2007, 05:41:27 PM »

SB_Mig

Re: Larry Hartsell died
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 08:50:50 PM »
Sad news indeed...

I was fortunate enough to get in some training sessions with Sifu Hartsell a few years back. He was humble, funny, and incredibly open and informative. He showed a mount defense during one seminar that I still consider one of my favorites. The world has truly lost an amazing martial artist.

I wish Sifu Hartsell safe passage into the next life. I'm sure he'll have no problem getting in the door upstairs, and will probably be hired immediately to work security!

My thoughts and prayers are with Simo Debra at this sad time.

Miguel

Russ

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • DBMA Connecticut
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:19:41 PM »
Larry Hartsell was a very insightful martial artist, and one bad dude.

Several years ago at a seminar in Connecticut, I demonstrated some of the Snaggletooth material and DBMA Siniwali for him and he loved it.

It was an honor to receive his praise and it inspired me to train harder.

I'm in Bangkok today...  I will be sure to go out tonight and celebrate in his honor!

Woof,
Russ
C-Bad Dog, Lakan Guro DBMA
http://dbma-connecticut.webs.com/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 07:04:49 AM »
All:

I first met/experienced Sifu Larry around 1986 at the Inosanto Academy (the one at Glencoe Ave).  He was giving a one day seminar and needed someone to volunteer as an assistant.  I had just finished three years with Paul Vunak and figured I was up to it.  What followed was an amazing day of trapping-grappling.  The next day I went to a chiropractor, who had many stuntmen and athletes as clients.  Upon adjusting me said she had never had anyone with that many vertabrae needing an adjustment :-)

Sifu Larry was serious about staying in fighting shape.  He even took a weight set with him to Spain one time.

In recent years, upon my going upstairs to teach my Saturday class at the Inosanto Academy sometimes I would see him there teaching privates or working out for himself.  I remember in particular one time I arrived about an hour early to get in a workout for myself and there he was, already working out on the heavy bag.  The pace and power would have been impressive for a much younger man, but were quite remarkable for a man of his age.  After about 45 minutes non-stop (!) he paused and I complimented him and told him that he inspired me.  He seemed pleased, and went back to work. 

To live with the knowledge of our death is perhaps Life's greatest challenge for us, and to do so knowing that our time is going to be shorter due to health reasons is perhaps the hardest of all.  When recently I saw him teach, it was obvious that his health was weakening, but there was no complaint.  He had his Art and he walked as a Warrior for all his days.

The Adventure does continue,
Crafty Dog