Author Topic: Fall Gathering! Fighters thread  (Read 25338 times)

Sheep Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
Fall Gathering! Fighters thread
« on: October 17, 2007, 11:05:36 PM »
I love the Summer gathering for one reason only, it means that I only have to wait four months for the next one, and it's here all ready. If you plan on being there drop your name on the thread.

I may do a fight single stick with shield, anyone interested?

Sheepdog
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 10:04:25 PM by Crafty_Dog »
-Never Mistake Patience and Tolerance for Weakness-

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Gathering!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:59:06 AM »
I was wondering about the knife fighting. How do you go about it? What kinda rubber knife do you bring..What are the rules to the fighting with a knife?
Are they the same as fighting with a stick? Hand strikes, Grappling? But I am down to fight with a stick and shield..I don't know what to use as a shield..I can use a rubber trash can lid  :lol:  :-D

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 10:25:02 AM »
Don't fight rubber.  Fight with an aluminum blade, but not with any of those cheap steel kung-fu blades with sharp burrs.  The "Fighter" from trainingblades.com is an excellent knife .

Baltic Dog

Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo (Prof. Richard Lewis)
3rd Degree Black Belt Instructor

Bono JKD/Kajukenbo (Prof. John Bono)
Gentlemen's Fighting Club

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 10:35:52 AM »
I ment like the sharkie hard rubber ones..Those ones from the site you gave me..Is there a certain tip to get..More round so it wont shank its way though someones neck?
I also checked out the Topic on this in another thread and durring my read, I could not find in the thread where it says "Use this type of knife as our standard"
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 10:50:51 AM by Maxx »

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 12:48:04 PM »
Regarding Knife Rules:

I really admire Crafty in the past few gatherings that I have been to for immediately recognizing kills.  With that said, I think the first rule of the knife fights is to respect the training blade as if it was a real one.  This usually leads to less clinch and grappling however if you are suave enough to be able to pick your empty hand shots and grapple with the guy who has the knife and not get killed, go for it. 

Crafty, would it be possible to observe the "walking dead-man" this time around and give the person who has been pumped a few times the ability to at least try and kill the person who just killed them before the fight is stopped?  Say 15 second continuation rule after it has been an obvious kill?

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 04:22:37 PM »
I love the Summer gathering for one reason only, it means that I only have to wait four months for the next one, and it's here all ready. If you plan on being there drop your name on the thread.

I may do a fight single stick with shield, anyone interested?

Sheepdog

Oooh that sounds interesting, wish I could make it.  I don't think Ill be able to make it again until next June. Who knows maybe DogZilla and the rest of the crew will make it there for the June gathering that would be hella cool!
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Gathering! Fighters thread
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 10:05:21 PM »
I leave in the AM for Manassas VA.  I may not have online access while there.  If not, I will answer this early next week.

Sheep Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 12:14:03 AM »
Just to clarify I intend to use a very small round shield. not some huge thing.

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 12:14:02 PM »
Sheep Dog

Some kind of improvised shield would be interesting - a bike wheel, trash can lid, a daypack with some books in it, an umbrella, a pillow, etc.

Maxx

I could not find in the thread where it says "Use this type of knife as our standard"
I don't think there is standard.  It's just whatever you and your opponent agree to fight with (short of a hot blade).  Of course, in the middle of a stick fight, your opponent may pull any kind of knife and you will have to deal with it.

I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 10:13:40 PM »
Just to clarify I intend to use a very small round shield. not some huge thing.

I had a student ward off a 2 man attack improv during training with a small round BBQ lid once.  Worked well for him and its practical.  Never know when one of the drunk inlaws might pull a knife or bat and come after you at a BBQ event.  LOL :evil:  (You did what to my sister :-o) :lol:
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 06:28:26 AM »
At the Swiss Gathering shield & stick has been done.  A goodly number of Euros play with WMA so this was very interesting to see.  I think there is a thread in this forum about WMA.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 06:44:42 PM »
At the Swiss Gathering shield & stick has been done.  A goodly number of Euros play with WMA so this was very interesting to see.  I think there is a thread in this forum about WMA.

WMA?

I have two friends who do that..It's not put together very well.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 06:44:34 AM »
You may have a different impression when dealing with some of the Euros who have been researching and playing with it for a while  :-)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 10:49:28 AM »
One of the EMTs who will be there suggests bringing "Crazy Glue" for temp repair of any severe cuts.

Also, Tricky Dog sends his regrets.  He mentions he plans to be at the Summer Gathering with shield and spear, shield and stick.

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 12:57:56 PM »
One of the EMTs who will be there suggests bringing "Crazy Glue" for temp repair of any severe cuts.

Also, Tricky Dog sends his regrets.  He mentions he plans to be at the Summer Gathering with shield and spear, shield and stick.

I will be bringing my kit also (just in case) :wink:

The stars are in alignment...   8-)
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 01:27:33 PM »
Folks:

OP is wanting out of setting up a wall again.  I liked having it, but want to ask everyone: Is this something that matters to us? 

TAC,
CD

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
I'm always game for a wall/cage as the use of one is a big part of my game.  I think we will see totally different types of fights if we don't have one, however this isn't a bad thing.  There will just be more flying into the crowed  :-D

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 10:30:50 AM »
I like the wall for the added variety.  Walls are a part of our modern world.  If the wall isn't possible, pushing one of those dead cars in the OP warehouse onto the mat would make for a very interesting Gathering. 
Baltic Dog

Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo (Prof. Richard Lewis)
3rd Degree Black Belt Instructor

Bono JKD/Kajukenbo (Prof. John Bono)
Gentlemen's Fighting Club

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 12:58:44 PM »
I like the wall for the added variety.  Walls are a part of our modern world.  If the wall isn't possible, pushing one of those dead cars in the OP warehouse onto the mat would make for a very interesting Gathering. 

I like that idea...  Made me think of "Lion Heart" where they pulled in and circled the fight area with the cars.  Just think, little johnny and jenny could sit safely in the car seat and watch (mom and dad can sit on the hood/roof).  Kind of like a battle at the drive in.   8-)
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 01:00:14 PM »
On another note,
  UFC is this Saturday, does anyone want to go somewhere and watch the fights?

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 02:08:29 PM »
Speaking of that JCVD fight scene in Lionheart-- his opponent in that fight was Stuart , , , Wilson (?) who was a buddy in my days in the mid 80s with Paul Vunak.  His dad was Mr. Whipple in the Charmin toilet paper ads ("Don't squeeze the Charmin").

But I digress , , ,

I'm playing phone tag with Nigel over at OP about the wall , , ,

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 03:47:15 PM »
It is fun to run people into a wall - I like the sound they make. :-D :-P
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/

foxmarten

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 09:06:03 PM »
if any of you are in san bernardino, harley's off of hospitality lane usually shows it on 2 62" plasma screens and all their bar tv's for a $7 cover.  and the food is good as well.  i'll put $20 on the englander.
paul

''
On another note,
  UFC is this Saturday, does anyone want to go somewhere and watch the fights?

Gruhn
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-HST

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 09:45:15 PM »
1) Pappy Dog is organizing the After Gathering Time at either the same establishment as last time or another one.  He should be posting here with the details.

2)  We have a Wall!  Thank you OP!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2007, 05:17:31 AM »
Posted on behalf of Dean:
========================

Very much looking forward to being there on Sunday. Someone please, let David C. (Paramedic) know that I am bringing a couple skin staplers and some other goodies (just in case).

I will also be bringing one of my new students as a designated driver. 

I hope to make the best of this trip, unfortunately our time will be limited to driving up Sunday Early and driving back Sunday night.  (Gotta work Monday 0700) "Living the Dream" 

I hope to be there by around 10AM or so... 

Dean

pappydog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
After Gathering meal.- Joe's- directions posted here
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2007, 01:44:43 PM »
This is the place for the after Gathering Shindig!

Joe's Great American Bar & Grill
4311 W Magnolia Blvd
Burbank, CA 91505 Map

(818) 729-0805

2435 N NAOMI ST, BURBANK, CA
1.   Start at 2435 N NAOMI ST, BURBANK going toward THORNTON AVE    go < 0.1 mi      
2.   Turn LEFT on THORNTON AVE    go 0.1 mi      
3.   Turn RIGHT on N BUENA VISTA ST    go 1.7 mi      
4.   Turn RIGHT on W MAGNOLIA BLVD    go 1.1 mi      
5.   Arrive at 4311 W MAGNOLIA BLVD, BURBANK, on the RIGHT   
   4311 W MAGNOLIA BLVD, BURBANK, CA

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
Hope everyone has an "ass kickin" time!! 

Hopefully I can come back in June.

Aloha
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

SB_Mig

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2007, 08:32:12 AM »
Flu got me. I'm out this round. Have fun and fight hard...

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2007, 08:33:59 AM »
Bummer,  you were on my list of potentials!  :-(

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

SB_Mig

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2007, 09:31:12 AM »
Gruhn,

I look forward to the next go around. Let's plan on it...

Hope you had fun!

Miguel

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2007, 03:01:22 PM »
 8-) 8-)My first Gathering Experience…

I must admit that at first I was stand off’ish  and took the time to observe the Tribe and how they acted as a pack.  The energy was good and as I settled into the scene I found myself wanting to jump into the middle of the pack. 

Being a stray mut from a slightly different pack kept me with a slight concern of how the Dogs would react to my presence.  My concern was not what I would call fear of pain but fear of getting broken and disappointing my teacher.  You see, I had hinted that I may fight at this gathering but had the wisdom mind fighting my emotional mind.  I really wanted to jump in and play (which I ended up doing).  I had/have committed to assisting my instructor Prof Greg Harper (aka Kaju Pit) with training a fighter for the upcoming show called “Fight Quest”. 

Fight Quest will be Discovery HD's prime time flagship program of the Spring and Summer of 2008, airing in 80 countries worldwide, the exposure will be enormous. They will be filming November 28 through December 6 , 2007. Doing the work for the Discovery network is North South Productions. A New York-based Producer of documentary series on the Discovery HD network.

In this series, two American martial art students, Jimmy Smith and Doug Anderson, travel the globe to investigate different schools of martial arts. From an intense form of stick fighting in the Philippines (Kali) to studying Muay Thai in Thailand. Jimmy and Doug immerse in each culture, learn about its history, train in their traditional martial art, and ultimately, test their skills and courage against a local fighter skilled in the art. The students enthusiastically embrace the teachings of their Instructors and the traditional rituals of the cultures, while struggling to learn a fighting style that they will have to put into action after less than a week of training. They are along for their visceral, educational, and sometimes dangerous journey through the worlds most renowned and respected fight forms.

The students will be trained individually by a different "Master Trainer" at a training facility over approximately a week-long duration. At the end of the week, each of the students will go head to head in a fight with a few of the master's experienced trainers to see how much they've learned . During the week, the extremely respectful, curious, patient and hard-working students would be at the mercy of the instructors - following their every command, working and training on the same level as any of the others at the facility. Because the program will also be looking at the culture surrounding Kajukenbo - the instructors and others at the facility will introduce the students to special ceremonies, traditions of the martial art and customs, etc.

Great Grandmaster Gaylord will head up the program as "Great Grandmaster". He will also be one of the "Master Trainers" putting one of the students through a week of Kajukenbo Training in the Hayward training facility.

Professor Greg Harper will also be one of the "Master Trainers" putting one of the students through a week of Kajukenbo Training in the San Jose training facility.

For more information on North South Productions and the show please visit the web site at www.northsouth.tv and click on Fight Quest.

With that being put out there, I am happy to have walked as a Warrior with Warriors at this “Gathering of the Pack”.  I left with a few bruises and a nice lump on my head (Lesson learned – Thank you Dog Corey). 

I feel confident with my knowledge of the Stick but had not “Stress Tested” my skill sets in this way, in much more than a controlled setting in the past.  I feel that I did not shine and did not perform the way I wished I had… Distracted and outside of myself most the day :? :|.  But none the less, I did get out there and the Pack made me to feel welcome. 

I look forward to future gatherings. I will be better prepared and less distracted next time.

Thank you everyone, especially Junkyard Dog and Dog Pound.  We will cross again and I look forward to crossing with all of you over time. 

Respectfully,
Dean   
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 09:15:25 AM »
Adrenalin… 

During a recent conversation with David C. we got to comparing how I felt in the adrenal state created by fighting in my first Gathering in comparison to the fighting and traumatic situations I experienced in Iraq.  In addition I began to reflect on how I felt and handled violent situations during my years as a night club bouncer. 

The main variable was the level of intensity of the adrenal rush.  During my deployment in Iraq the intensity of the adrenalin rush was much higher, but my level of consciousness was very much the same in all the above experiences I have had. 

In part it boils down to “You will react the way you train”.  The realization I had is that this is true to the skills you have trained in a stress filled situation and/or the skills that are deeply ingrained into your subconscious. 

I entered into my fights without a game plan (other than to avoid serious injury).  My fights were very much reactive rather than proactive.  Being in a reactive mode is much more dangerous and could be fatal as I experienced, (thanks to the head protection I am able to reflect on this – I am aware that if it had not been for the head protection I would have been hospitalized at the least).  Being reactive takes too much time…  A proactive attack with constant flow & violence of action would have been a much better plan of attack (IMHO).

In stick fights that I have had in the past (maybe 5-10), I was basically sparring with classmates and students that had similar training as I have had. 

Participating in the Dog Brothers Gathering is an experience worth its weight in gold and I highly encourage others to pursue such an experience.  Competing with those that you are unfamiliar with and those that have varied experiences is a must for anyone that truly wants to build on their abilities as a Warrior.  Expect the unexpected and learn to trust your instincts.  If you must fight, fight with courage and the heart of a Warrior.

I look forward to others insight into their experiences and thoughts on this… 

With respect always,
Dean
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 01:26:53 PM »
Woof Dean, I'am very glad you finally have gotten the oppertunity to fight in a gathering. I know from the members site that this is something you've been looking to do for some time now.
Your post gathering comments are very insightful and well thought out, I have appreciated reading them very much.
It also comes across quite obviously that the gathering experience has worked its magic on you. Its done that to all of us.
You translate it very well, yet I can't help but think those who read this and have never been there, really don't understand.
I totally agree if someone has the oppertunity to participate in a gathering the should take full advantage.

Having said all that, I have found personally the biggest challenge for me is stepping out there again, after being dinged up.
In my last two gatheirngs, my first fights in both I got smacked around pretty good........esp in last Junes gathering....I found myself going into my second fight,looking forward to the end of the fight and trying to get out there get it done and not get hurt.
I feel this is a HUGE mistake.....I did not fight well at all.
Anyway.....I also felt as though there was a growth......I have always felt growth comes when you don't do so well...in my opinion thats when you learn.
Long story short.......My resolve in future gathering fights is to fight with total agression and as if it is my last. Of course, I do not mean to fight in a way to be out of control or to intentionally hurt anyone.
But to FULLY operate in the high adrenal state.
Keep posting bro. I enjoy your writings!
                                                           Dog SB/TG
P.S. GO NAVY 8-)
Howling Dog

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2007, 02:16:07 PM »
Woof Dean, I'am very glad you finally have gotten the oppertunity to fight in a gathering. I know from the members site that this is something you've been looking to do for some time now.
Your post gathering comments are very insightful and well thought out, I have appreciated reading them very much.
It also comes across quite obviously that the gathering experience has worked its magic on you. Its done that to all of us.
You translate it very well, yet I can't help but think those who read this and have never been there, really don't understand.
I totally agree if someone has the oppertunity to participate in a gathering the should take full advantage.

Having said all that, I have found personally the biggest challenge for me is stepping out there again, after being dinged up.
In my last two gatheirngs, my first fights in both I got smacked around pretty good........esp in last Junes gathering....I found myself going into my second fight,looking forward to the end of the fight and trying to get out there get it done and not get hurt.
I feel this is a HUGE mistake.....I did not fight well at all.
Anyway.....I also felt as though there was a growth......I have always felt growth comes when you don't do so well...in my opinion thats when you learn.
Long story short.......My resolve in future gathering fights is to fight with total agression and as if it is my last. Of course, I do not mean to fight in a way to be out of control or to intentionally hurt anyone.
But to FULLY operate in the high adrenal state.
Keep posting bro. I enjoy your writings!
                                                           Dog SB/TG
P.S. GO NAVY 8-)

WOOF!   8-)

As I took Monday away from the gym to reflect and recover a bit, I found myself noticing dings & scrapes in places that I cant recall getting hit.  I must confess the smile that came to my face because the Gathering made me feel ALIVE... 

To paraphrase a quote from Marcinco, "Pain is my friend, it lets me know I'm still alive".  When your dead it wont hurt anymore...

I hope everyone that reads this has a fantastic Thanksgiving - I am truely thankful for my new Dog Brother's and Sister. 
And for those that took the time to thank me for my service to our country - I realy appreciated that.  It does mean a lot to me.  Keep sharing your knowledge and whether directly or indirectly you will also be making a difference and give service to the best country in the world - God Bless our United States of America. 

PS
Now that I am on the West Coast, expect to see more of me over the years to come...

Dean :wink:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 02:19:06 PM by loyalonehk »
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2007, 09:48:23 PM »
loyallonehk- you did great, i enjoyed your knife fight.

Sheep Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2007, 11:48:43 PM »
A hearty thanks and much respect to everyone at this past gathering.

This was a gathering where I really was not going to attend due to work, but at the last minute I decided to make it out there. I am glad I did. I was watching the fights thinking about how the gathering brings us together as people and the friendship that goes with it. As some of you know I have travelled near and far competing and fighting and no where have I seen the camaraderie that gathering brings out.

Again thanks to everyone there and especially Crafty and Papy.

Proverbs 27:17 - Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2007, 09:31:06 AM »
I'd like to extend my thanks as well on behalf of my father and I.  As Crafty mentioned, it was great to see people fighting 5+ times on Sunday which I have a great amount of respect for.  I personally have not worked myself up to such a task but hope the three day gathering will help me take the leap into fighting many times in one day.  It was great to witness the transformation of the people who's cherries got popped and I hope to see them all again soon at the next gathering!

Woof!

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

mrb

• Train Hard, Fight Hard, or Do Something Else.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2007, 06:31:07 PM »
Woof to all,

I am Mat Booe from Burbank.  (Yeah, I had a long drive to this one.)

This is my first time fighting in the gathering.  I have seen clips and videos of it for years but to experience it was much different than I expected.  The reality of the fights, unpredictability and open endedness of each bout was a breath of fresh air.  Anyone competing in over-governed, rule burdened competitions, where breaking the norm gets you disqualified will know what I mean.  For all those who were there, I was the guy throwing headbutts.  Cool that any viable technique can show up.  I do not put down any other style of tournament.  I have and will continue to compete in multiple styles of competitions.  I am saying that after this, these other events will now simply become training to get myself ready for the gatherings.

I have to say that I am now hooked.  I loved the brotherhood (and sisterhood) at the event.  Yet there was always the sense of urgency and a very real possibility of losing digits or consciousness.  It was OK to press the situation to much more reality boundaries than any other competition I have found.  And the pulling knives in the midst of grappling was simply awesome, just what we grapplers need to give us a little more reality while we try that 18 step setup to that flashy sweep or sub.  Brilliant!

Thanks to Crafty for keeping the reality alive for those seeking to truly become warriors.  Musashi would be proud.

Thanks goes out to Pappy Dog, Junk Yard Dog and all of the guys and gals in North Hollywood for all of your help.  See you next Saturday.

I plan to be a regular fixture at every one of the gatherings from now on.  "Higher consciousness through harder contact" - he, he, he, ... those bruises, cuts and scrapes have been great conversation over the last week.  I am so looking forward to earning many more red badges of courage.

Thanks to all the fighters,

Mat
Mat "Boo Dog" Booe
Train Hard, Fight Hard, or Do Something Else.

mrb

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2007, 06:35:34 PM »
Oh, and I forgot.  Rubber knives kinda suck.  I delivered many stabs that were totally ignored.  Aluminum is my knife of choice now.  I will research it more for myself before the next gathering.

just my two cents.

Mat
Mat "Boo Dog" Booe

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2007, 06:36:38 PM »
And the pulling knives in the midst of grappling was simply awesome, just what we grapplers need to give us a little more reality while we try that 18 step setup to that flashy sweep or sub.  Brilliant!

I almost forgot about this!  I always liked the saying "Never carry anything that doesn't comfortably fit up your own @$$!"  I have always contemplated bringing a knife out into a stickfight but was too worried that it would be used against me.  From my recollection this happened a few times  :-D

Woof!

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

mrb

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2007, 06:52:53 PM »
While applying a rear naked choke I had to let go to address and take his knife as he tried to carve his initials in my leg and neck.

While securely on top in one fight another guy pulled a knife and I had to change game plan and disarm him or the fight was over.

A knife is not only practical but cures tunnel vision.  If you are in trouble it could, and in many cases did end the fight at least at this gathering.

By the way.

anyone have any PICTURES or PHOTOS.  I would love some of my fight and any others as well.

Mat
Mat "Boo Dog" Booe

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2007, 08:20:36 PM »
I'd like to extend my thanks as well on behalf of my father and I.  As Crafty mentioned, it was great to see people fighting 5+ times on Sunday which I have a great amount of respect for.  I personally have not worked myself up to such a task but hope the three day gathering will help me take the leap into fighting many times in one day.  It was great to witness the transformation of the people who's cherries got popped and I hope to see them all again soon at the next gathering!

Woof!

Gruhn

The next Gathering is a 3 day event?  wow!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2007, 06:10:08 AM »
Woof Matt:

Glad you had a good time.  It sounds like you really get what the day is about.  I am glad we will be seeing more of you.

Concerning rubber knives:  This was a F-up.  Our Master of Arms/Timekeeper had a new assistant while he was out on the field with me during the fights and the assistant let people go out with these knives.  Bad dogs!  Hard plastic is the minimum standard for a Dog Brothers Gathering.  Aluminum knives are preferred and use of the Shocknives is encouraged and praised.

Concerning the knife fighting in general:  This was one of the best Gatherings I can remember in this regard.  Instead of having fight after fight after fight where both fighters "died", which has been the case for a long time, this time most of the fighters fought as if it mattered to them that they lived.  Hallelujah!  Also, fighters finally got in the spirit of hiding knives and using them, often to quite dramatic effect, during the stick fights.  As Matt notes, we think opening up the peripheral vision in the adrenal state is something worth reflecting upon with care.

Concerning the three day Gathering:  This is a discussion we have been having in house about getting together for 2-3 days.  It has its roots in a conversation within the DBMA Association about the role of what is called in DB lore "The Rumble at Ramblas" (love those alliterations)-- which is when and where the Dog Brothers came into being.

It was in 1988-- twenty years ago  :-o :-o :-o that we came together at Ramblas Park, which was up the road from Panther Productins studio for three days to get footage for what was to become the "Real Contact Stickfighting with Eric "Top Dog" Knaus and the Dog Brothers" series.  We fought for three days, with most fighters averaging seven fights a day.  On day one, we were hard sparring.  By day three everyone was fighting. 

In the DBMAA thread we were discussing Salty Dog's observation about the importance of fighting for three consecutive days and how the experience of going out there again and again and again was a crucible which had transformed us in a way that is hard to describe.  Someone noted that we were coming up on 20 years and it occurred to me to suggest doing it again.  The suggestion was well received and so we will be doing it-- once again without the crowds, once again as it began.

The Adventure continues,
Crafty Dog
GF

PS:  Concerning fotos and such-- it usually takes us a while to get them up, but we will get to it , , , eventually. :-)

Sheep Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2007, 12:48:45 PM »
I am looking forward to a three day closed door gathering, in my humble opinion the 20 year anniversary of the gatherings and a three day closed event is one of those seminal events that help define a legacy. I would love to see as many of the original dogs there.