Author Topic: DB Gathering of the Pack August 10th, 2008  (Read 141416 times)

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
Re: DB Gathering of the Pack August 10th, 2008
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2008, 11:20:08 PM »
Has the R1 completely been played out, worn out it's welcome, ect?  Just as a suggestion if the HOC doesn't end up working out, or am I just typing to type?
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2008, 05:29:58 AM »
Pappy Dog has been looking into things on our behalf while I am out of town and things seem to be moving forward.

R1 is not something we are interested in.

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2008, 11:18:36 AM »
1.  Any updates on the location options?

2.  My L knee is still an issue for me...  I have a follow up Dr apt. on Thursday with Ortho.  Both of my Physical Therapists that I work under are confident that I have at a minimum torn my medial meniscus.  Waiting to see Dr on Thursday and hope to get an MRI soon after to be sure. 

I will certainly be there for the Gathering and hope to Fight but we will see...  *Fingers crossed

I will also be bringing about 3 students with me.  They may or may not fight....  I will have them sign up just incase...  Im confident that at least one of them will fight for sure...   8-)

Think possitive and stay progressive everyone... 
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

kjohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2008, 01:32:15 PM »
I'd like to make a special effort to come out to this, i currently have a broken nose which has had me on my ass for a while and will have me mostly on my ass for another month then hopefully i can resume hard training.

Anyways, about me, i'm a 143 pound female, my weapons training is primarily through ARMA and I do a lot of work with the longsword as well as the roundel dagger.  If i do manage to make it out, and I really think I will, I would love to get partnered up with someone. I have done hard contact sparring with rattan sticks (no gear, not even helmets) before so I'm not afraid of getting hit by any means

I would prefer to use a dog brothers style staff modified to be more like a longsword (closer in weight to my weapon of choice) but for safety reasons I'd happily use a shinai bamboo sword modified to have a crossguard and pommel aswell.

Just to make sure all my experience is out there i've also had 9 kickboxing matches, won 8 of them, and three MMA fights with a record of 1-2.

If I make a special effort to attend , will someone fight me? I am open to anything that will allow me to play with reasonable simulators of my weapons of choice and would probably play with some new stuff aswell. I am always eager to experiment.

I saw that two chicks were already planning on coming. Got room for one more?

PS: what safety gear should I bring? I know a three weapons fencing mask seems pretty standard but wanted to know if anything else was recommended

PPS: I know the exact location is still TBA but what city is this held in? I want to start making travel arrangements and i just filled out my fighter form.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 12:34:35 AM by kjohnson »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2008, 06:16:40 AM »
KJ:

Delighted to have another woman coming.  As always, the Gathering will be held somewhere in the Los Angeles region.  The plan is for me to look at two locations tomorrow. 

TIA,
CD
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:51:29 AM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2008, 12:35:56 PM »
KJ:

Thank you for the integrity of being candid about your background.

At the moment we are unsure whether Linda M. is coming.  OTOH Ashley of Manassas VA is excited and training well.  Currently some cyber gremlins are fouling up her efforts to get registered for the forum here, but do know that she will be posting in response to you , , , soon.  This will be Ashley's first experience with weapon fighting and to the best of my knowledge her focus has been for single stick, but I leave it to the two of you to work things out.

TAC,
Crafty Dog

PS:  Would you please email me at Craftydog@dogbrothers.com ?

kjohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2008, 09:31:02 PM »
Email sent.

Any word on the shock knives? Those look like they'd be a blast.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2008, 11:12:32 PM »
Woof KJ:

At this point, the Shocknives are a standard feature of our Gatherings.

I spoke with Linda this evening.  Pressing family matters distract her at this point and her attendance is a genuine question mark.  I did my best to remind her that there is nothing like a good day of stickfighting to put things right.  She laughed and said she would see.

TAC,
CD

kjohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2008, 02:50:11 AM »
It's whatever, I think this will be the highlight of my year.

Ruthless_Ashley

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2008, 12:10:32 PM »
I'd like to make a special effort to come out to this, i currently have a broken nose which has had me on my ass for a while and will have me mostly on my ass for another month then hopefully i can resume hard training.

Anyways, about me, i'm a 143 pound female, my weapons training is primarily through ARMA and I do a lot of work with the longsword as well as the roundel dagger.  If i do manage to make it out, and I really think I will, I would love to get partnered up with someone. I have done hard contact sparring with rattan sticks (no gear, not even helmets) before so I'm not afraid of getting hit by any means

I would prefer to use a dog brothers style staff modified to be more like a longsword (closer in weight to my weapon of choice) but for safety reasons I'd happily use a shinai bamboo sword modified to have a crossguard and pommel aswell.

Just to make sure all my experience is out there i've also had 9 kickboxing matches, won 8 of them, and three MMA fights with a record of 1-2.

If I make a special effort to attend , will someone fight me? I am open to anything that will allow me to play with reasonable simulators of my weapons of choice and would probably play with some new stuff aswell. I am always eager to experiment.

I saw that two chicks were already planning on coming. Got room for one more?

PS: what safety gear should I bring? I know a three weapons fencing mask seems pretty standard but wanted to know if anything else was recommended

PPS: I know the exact location is still TBA but what city is this held in? I want to start making travel arrangements and i just filled out my fighter form.

I would be more than happy to fight you. I wouldn't mind doing double stick but I am leaning more towards single stick. . . .if that is a possibility for you, I would be glad to jump in. Also, I wouldn't mind doing a knife fight, I think that would be lots of fun.

kjohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2008, 12:50:15 PM »
My experience in "single stick" is very limited.  I am generally a long weapon user. (about 48 inches). But if you'll play my game with me I'll play your game with you or we can mix it up or whatever.  I can bring either some bamboo shinai kendo type practice weapons which like rattan sting but wont break anything serious:

or one or two  of the padded weapons we use in ARMA (make no mistake,they still pack a whallop and are not fun to get hit with).

I think it'd be a fun time either way to mix it up a bit.

Your call.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2008, 02:58:37 PM »
We have a gym in Burbank that is willing, but I found out last night that they want us to have "event insurance" or something like that.  I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO BEGIN WITH THIS.  DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS/HINTS?

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2008, 08:53:15 PM »
Email sent  :evil:  8-)  :wink:
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

SB_Mig

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2008, 07:50:13 AM »
It looks like the insurance matter is working out (should finalize by Tuesday) at which point we will have a firm commitment on location.   Thanks to all for the help with the insurance!

Ruthless_Ashley

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2008, 08:17:33 AM »
Dino and I got some kind of good and kind of bad news a couple a days ago. The good news is that the facility has gotten unusually busy for summer. Busier than we had planned for. The bad news is that we do not have the manpower to be able to competently run the facility if we are not there. The outcome - We are not able to go to The Gathering in August 2008. It is a very bittersweet situation. We will begin training today for next years first Gathering of the Pack! Also, we will make sure that we have sufficient staff to run the facility properly so that this does not happen again!

JeffP

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2008, 02:16:58 PM »
We are not able to go to The Gathering in August 2008...
Argh!  I'm sorry to hear that, as I was assuming that we were all going to get beat up together  :-( ...

See you and Dino this Saturday for AMOK...

r/Jeff

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2008, 07:37:04 PM »
Jeff:

Your fighter registration came in today, but of course its not official until Cindy gets it posted  :lol:

All:

It now looks like the insurance matter has been solved (actual paperwork must still be done) but things look solid enough for me to post the name of the presumptive site for the Gathering:

POWERHOUSE GYM
10950 Sherman Way
Suite 160
Burbank CA 91505

The Adventure continues!!!
Crafty Dog
GF

E

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2008, 09:29:07 AM »
Hi Crafty,

I was wondering what type of surface we will be fighting on? 

Thanks!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2008, 04:27:18 PM »
The plan is for judo/jiu-jitsu type tatami mats.

nmg235

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2008, 01:29:47 PM »
Hey guys.  First time poster, longtime follower on this board.  I'm writing a school paper on DBMA and managed to get my university to fund my travel to the Gathering, and was hoping to interview some of you guys who are fighting.  My paper is focused on how DBMA has changed your sense of self and lead to personal growth, and I'm particularly interested in how fighting relates to the way you view politics.  If you're available to talk before or after the Gathering, I'd deeply appreciate your time.  thanks
-Neil
nmg235@nyu.edu
510-326-4547

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2008, 05:12:22 PM »
1) Powerhouse Gym is confirmed!!!  8-)

2) The Reuters News Service will be covering the event.  I know, I know, Reuters has engaged in some seriously dishonest reporting about America, but the fellow with whom I spoke seemed nice-- still, be alert.

3) Either tomorrow or next week I hope to be able to report about a potentially huge development , , ,

JeffP

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2008, 05:37:42 PM »
Jeff:  Your fighter registration came in today, but of course its not official until Cindy gets it posted  :lol:

1) Powerhouse Gym is confirmed!!! 

Excellent!  Muuwhahahahaha [evil laugh]!!!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2008, 12:46:42 PM »
Howl of Greeting:
The rhythm of the seasons is with us and its time for the "Summer Dog Brothers Gathering of the Pack". On behalf of the Council of Elders of the Dog Brothers, Dog Brothers Inc. hereby cordially invites all people of good spirit to its "Dog Brothers Summer Gathering of the Pack" at 11:00 AM on Sunday, August 10, 2008.

We thank Original Productions for the use of its warehouse/set for the past two Gatherings, but it is converting the warehouse to offices and thus the space is no longer available.   We are delighted to say that we have found what we believe will be our new home for years to come at:

POWERHOUSE GYM
10950 Sherman Way
Suite 160
Burbank CA 91505

The PG facility has plenty of parking and the basketball court area wherein the Gathering itself will be held has plenty of room.  Bring cushions for your comfort.  For current chatter on what's happening keep track at  http://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index.php?topic=1484.0

The Magic Words:

The MAGIC WORDS: "No judges, no referees, no trophies. One rule only: Be friends at the end of the day. This means our goal is that no one spends the night in the hospital. Our goal is that everyone leaves with the IQ with which they came. No suing no one for no reason for nothing no how no way!Real Contact Stickfighting is Dangerous and only you are responsible for you, so protect yourself at all times. All copyright belongs to Dog Brothers Inc. CA law applies."

THIS MATTER OF ACCEPTING ALL RISKS APPLIES TO THOSE OF YOU OBSERVING AS WELL!!!

For example, sticks, and fights for that matter, may go flying into the crowd.  Parents should consider things like this in deciding whether a child is old enough to bring along and/or deciding on from where to observe the event. If a stick or a fight comes careening your way know that the fight has right of way-- it is on you to get out of the way! If you are sitting in or near the front row, we will not make fun of you if you wear protective headgear!

As always, NO VIDEO CAMERAS and NO DUAL PURPOSE CAMERAS WILL BE ALLOWED. In God we trust, everyone else, NO DUAL PURPOSE CAMERAS. If you see someone cheating, please let us know!!!

We will continue starting the knife fights with a handshake and the knives undrawn and analogous ideas. Concerning the knife fighting, there is a relevant thread at http://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index.php?topic=1296.0  We will have some "Shocknife" knives on hand and so it looks like we will be able to have electric knife vs. electric knife fights (as long as they last!). Perhaps this will help induce more realistic behavior during the knife fights!

Again we encourage you to fight knife versus stick-- the stick versus electric knife is always exciting. Stick vs. knife has been one of perennial questions of the FMA, so let's continue the research! Also, please feel free to hide a knife on your person and surprise your opponent with it during the stickfights. Remember that you may fight with weapons other than a stick if you can find someone willing to go against you. Please consider staff, double stick, and anything else. In order to more deeply explore certain variables, fighters may agree to "no grappling" rules. In staff fights, the fighters may wear wrestling type ear guards under the fencing masks.

As always, there is no charge for fighters but FIGHTERS MUST PRE-REGISTER, even if they have fought before. WE WILL BE RUTHLESS ON THIS! The Fighter's Registration form can be found on the website and MUST be filled out whether you have fought before or not. For all Fighter Registration matters, please contact Cindy at info@dogbrothers.com 310-540-6853. You are not registered until your name appears on the list of registered fighters on the website!!!   

Know that recently I signed a contract with a media company with a good track record of sports/reality TV shows to help them develop a show based around stickfighting.  Know that an executive from the company probably will be on hand to scout for prospects.   Also, know that the international news service Reuters will be covering this Gathering.

The Adventure continues!!! "Higher Consciousness through Harder Contact" (c)

Crafty Dog
Guiding Force of the Dog Brothers
President/Dog Brothers Inc. Martial Arts

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2008, 10:56:14 PM »
Woof All:

Our man in Mexico City and my friend, Mauricio Sanchez, has been bringing me there for several years now and ably representing us there.  I am delighted and proud to report that he has gotten a visa and an airplane ticket to come fight at the Gathering!!!

The problem is this:  The plan was for him to stay at the hostel in Hermosa Beach and for me to give him a ride on Gatheirng day, but the hostel is full up and now he does not have a place to stay, nor the budget to afford what hotels can cost.  Is there someone who can help out with a sofa or sleeping bag & wrestling mat or something of the sort?  He'll be glad to contribute what he had budgeted for the hostel.  He arrives on the 6th and leaves on the 13th.

He doesn't speak much English, but I am sure he will make a fine guest , , ,

The Adventure continues!
Guro Crafty

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2008, 01:40:15 PM »
Woof, The Aug. Gathering fighter list is up :evil: :mrgreen:......Is your name on it?
Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Gathering!!
                                                 Dog TG
Howling Dog

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2008, 04:00:28 PM »
Where?
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2008, 04:41:49 PM »
Woof DP, At the bottom of the "Gathering page"
Howling Dog

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2008, 04:51:22 PM »
I looked there when I saw your post ... oh well it ups!!!
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2008, 05:37:11 PM »
Hope to see there Dog Pound!! You are fighting, right?
                                               Dog Tom
Howling Dog

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2008, 01:24:55 AM »
Hell yeah!!! I'm going to have a great time.
- Ron White

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2008, 07:00:14 AM »
 The dog that pounds :-D :mrgreen: C-ya soon!
                                                                 Dog TG
Howling Dog

califkali

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2008, 07:19:23 PM »
Is it ok to fight in bare feet? What is the cost for spectators?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2008, 09:57:55 AM »
A) Sure.  Remember, only you are responsible for you.   :-D 

b) $10

SB_Mig

« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2008, 03:00:27 PM »
Any word on shower/changing room availability?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2008, 12:13:53 PM »
Eric Flesichman, who is our principal interface man with Powerhouse, tells me that the lockers/showers are quite nice.

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2008, 01:18:20 PM »
CD,

One of my students, Jeremy Sartain, Lemoore, CA.  E-mailed his fighter registration form about a week ago and I have been looking forward to seeing his name on the list. 

Yip :evil:

DD
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2008, 02:21:06 PM »
Woof All:

Cindy and the kids are visiting her mom, so at the moment she is not in a position to post fighter names on the Registered Fighters List.  So until she gets home, I will be posting additional fighter names on this thread.

The Adventure continues!
Crafty Dog
GF
=======================

WAR DOG
Dog Mat Booe
Mauricio Sanchez: Mexico City, Mexico
Jeff Hurbace:  Henderson, Nevada

Kaju Dog

• Power User
  • organ donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2008, 02:56:08 PM »
Thank you for the heads up Sir.   :-D

Im looking forward to seeing everyone. 

Goodtimes...
V/r,

Kaju Dog
dw.kajupit@gmail.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2008, 05:07:44 PM »
Woof DD:

Assuming Jeremy emailed his registration to info@dogbrothers.com I should have seen it, but either I messed up (not unknown) or it did not get to us.  Would you please ask him to send it again?

pappydog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2008, 02:02:04 PM »
Eric Bryant will be there. Has his form made it?

Pappy Dog

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2008, 02:18:15 PM »
How did he send it?  Mail?  Fax? Email?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2008, 11:58:08 AM »
I was bummed when I heard that Dino and Ashley were not going to be able to make it to this Gathering as planned, but by the way of setting the hook for Ashley's appearance at the next Gathering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbMpzAq0Cw
http://www.teamruthless.com/AshleyKnifeSparring_NEW.wmv 
http://www.teamruthless.com/Dog_Brot...aining_NEW.wmv  (working the generator pattern from DBMA drill "Attacking Blocks" 1A with Guro Porn Star Dog)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2008, 05:33:07 PM »
Woof All:

We are informed Al's paperwork is on the way, so my posting here is of a provisional nature..  When it is acknowledged by Cindy by her posting it on the Registered Fighters List, Al will be officially registered. 

Al Romo.   
Age 39 ht.6' weight 255
337 s. 4 St. La Puente Ca. 91746

"Higher Consciousness through Harder Contact" (c)
Crafty Dog
GF

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2008, 11:08:12 PM »
Is there a registered fighter list this time around?  I like to live vicariously through those who are fighting since I can't make it!
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2008, 04:53:35 AM »
Dog Ryan

Go to the bottom of the page at http://dogbrothers.com/pages/gathering.html and download the Word document.
- Ron White

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2008, 09:02:54 AM »
A hearty howl of respect and gratitude to Randall Gregory who will not be able to make the Gathering due to serving our country on that date.

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2008, 12:26:43 PM »
Woof Guro Crafty, The Gathering of the pack flyer says ....That the gathering starts at 11am.
What time will the doors open ?
                                                     Dog Tom
Howling Dog

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2008, 06:03:54 PM »
I'm guessing 10:00, but that will be up to Cindy.  She returns from visiting her mom Tuesday night.

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2008, 06:46:05 PM »
I publicly bow my head in respect to "Dog" Randall. He's a good fighter, and more importantly a good person with a lot of wisdom. Be safe, Randall.
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com