Author Topic: grandfathers speak  (Read 15644 times)

logan

• View Profile
grandfathers speak
« on: September 15, 2003, 04:15:59 AM »
thank you verry much for this video

i had not much infos about the history of my style
(latosa escrima, angel cabales and giron escrima).

and its great to hear what all this other great mans have to say.....

best regards bobi/z?rich
you tink i aint worth a dollar -
but i feel like a millionaire.

(queens of the stone age)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
grandfathers speak
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 04:54:26 PM »
Hi Bobi:

Sorry for the long delay in my reply.

This video was a real labor of love.  Its not been a big seller but that does not matter.  What does matter is that for those who care that there is this record of this moment in time.  

There is some other footage we have that someday may see the light of day.  Right now we are working on an action only DVD for the general public-- perhaps some of this footage would be good to give the general public an idea of the origins of what we do.

Woof.
Crafty Dog

Anonymous

grandfathers speak
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 09:15:32 PM »
i have the grandfathers speak tape and feel it is a must have. it still amazes me that many of those interview played for real.

dogfighter

grandfathers
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 10:25:57 PM »
This tape is a real jewel.  It also reminds me how much I would have liked to have met Manong LaCoste. He seems like a very unique individual.

grandfathers speak
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 11:19:32 PM »
Speaking of tapes, anybody know where to get the copy of the old vanguard for Balintawak?  I know one was made way back which was a documentary.  I have seen a thirty second clip of it but that was it.  I would be interested in seeing more.  Anybody know where I can get a copy?

james

grandfathers speak
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2003, 06:24:33 AM »
get in touch with a NICK ELIZAR in cebu city.

original copies are floating around, i'm sure he can facilitate a copy of it.

info's in the internet, just type in his name (currently one of the hardest workers in BALiNTAWAK, next to Bobby Taboada).

cheers.

p.s.--but for what it's worth, i heard the tape sucks ass.

grandfathers speak
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 12:29:20 PM »
Quote from: james
get in touch with a NICK ELIZAR in cebu city.

original copies are floating around, i'm sure he can facilitate a copy of it.

info's in the internet, just type in his name (currently one of the hardest workers in BALiNTAWAK, next to Bobby Taboada).

cheers.

p.s.--but for what it's worth, i heard the tape sucks ass.

Thanks!

sheryn lascano

• View Profile
grandfathers speak
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2003, 11:01:00 AM »
thanks for the videos!!! :wink:

marcus_hk

• View Profile
Balintawak video
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 10:50:54 PM »
You could also talk with Henry Jayme in Cebu eller John Russel in Sydney. They made a small video for students. Both are great guys and I have had the opportunity to spend a lot of time training with them privately.

They dont sell the video, just giving it a way everyonce in a while

If anyone passes through ph or Au, contact them through www.visayanmartialarts.com

or if you pass through China/Hong Kong, email me at m@rcuss.com

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
grandfathers speak
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 12:51:24 PM »
this is a great video! it's always inspiring to see the elders/manongs of the art you are practicing. to see angel cabales or john lacoste move at their age is inspiring. if i was 1/10th as good as them at their mature age now, i would be happy.
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

bart

• View Profile
    • http://www.capitaldocepares.com
The Tape
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 04:02:13 PM »
Hey There,

I was inspired by this thread to go and buy the tape. It certainly is worthwhile to get. The interviews at the 1988 WEKAF tournament are historically poignant. That particular time was a pretty seminal period in terms of American stickfighting.

The footage from Guru Dan's archive was great and definitely worth the cost of the tape. I certainly hope that the proposed DVD comes out. I'll buy it for sure.  I'd also really like to see The Grandfathers Speak on DVD.
Be Cool

------------------
Capital Doce Pares
www.capitaldocepares.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
grandfathers speak
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 09:06:17 PM »
The Grandfathers DVD is done.  The box cover is done.  The only thing holding back its actual release it that we have to have three DVDs to give to the duplication house at the same time to keep costs down.  At the moment we have Grandfathers, the conversion of POWER from the first series, and have finished the master of the double disc Kali Tudo (tm).  As soon as we finish the box cover for it, we should be ready to roll. 8)

The DVD of "The Grandfathers Speak" contains an additional 30 minutes of footage based upon an interview I did with GM Leo Giron about his experiences in WW2.  

Editor Ron "Night Owl" Gabriel has done a stellar job on this mixing in extraordinary footage you probably have never seen.

I admit to misting up on the ending of it.

bart

• View Profile
    • http://www.capitaldocepares.com
Thanks!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 10:25:47 PM »
Quote from: Crafty_Dog
The Grandfathers DVD is done.  The box cover is done.  The only thing holding back its actual release it that we have to have three DVDs to give to the duplication house at the same time to keep costs down.  At the moment we have Grandfathers, the conversion of POWER from the first series, and have finished the master of the double disc Kali Tudo (tm).  As soon as we finish the box cover for it, we should be ready to roll. 8)

The DVD of "The Grandfathers Speak" contains an additional 30 minutes of footage based upon an interview I did with GM Leo Giron about his experiences in WW2.  

Editor Ron "Night Owl" Gabriel has done a stellar job on this mixing in extraordinary footage you probably have never seen.

I admit to misting up on the ending of it.

Thanks for the update!
Be Cool

------------------
Capital Doce Pares
www.capitaldocepares.com