Author Topic: Thoughts on Dog Brothers 'Power' DVD  (Read 19831 times)

Rory

• View Profile
Thoughts on Dog Brothers 'Power' DVD
« on: March 02, 2008, 06:26:23 AM »
I recently received the 'Power' and 'Footwork' DVDs from the original Dog Brothers Martial Arts series.

As the nearest Dog Brothers affiliates are in Scotland and England, this seemed the easiest way to get a taste of what DBMA involves for the moment, especially as I'd heard that these volumes were geared towards solo training. Unlike a lot of people here, I have no background in the FMA, the only frame of reference I have for this stickfighting material is the MMA gym I train in and a few different ASP and baton certifications I've done.

Yesterday I watched the 'Power' DVD and then dug out my heavy rattan stick and tried to mimic Top Dog's approach to power generation and the angles he was using.

A few observations-

- Sometimes it seems like the harder you are trying to hit the harder the stick is to hang onto. I have done ASP certification courses and observed the same phenomenon with people losing their baton during pressure-testing- it's usually the people giving it their all as opposed to the ones taking it easier.

- I think experience of Muay Thai helped with getting the hip in to generate power in my strikes, but the overall structure in terms of stance and the way you use the off-hand is different enough that it felt tricky. I'm used to having my strong side back, and to a degree I didn't know what to do with my offhand beyond getting used to occassionally sending it out as if to check someone trying to crash in. Obviously in a stickfight it would be vulnerable to getting smashed if it's floating around too much.

I hammered on some car tires for a while and also tried out an exercise I glimpsed from the DVD where Top Dog threw a tire and then roof blocked and closed the distance striking to it, to pick it up and repeat. Excellent drill.

While I appreciate that there's only so much you can really achieve on your own, and that's why I've been eyeing up flights to various DB affiliates' training, I'm satisfied that the 'Power' DVD has been a good introduction to the general topic of real-contact stickfighting, and I've got some things to think about and work on.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 06:36:03 AM by Rory »

Bambi

Re: Thoughts on Dog Brothers 'Power' DVD
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 07:54:06 AM »
Rory, there's no DB affiliated schools in Ireland, but there are some FMA schools. Whereabouts are you based?

Rory

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 03:03:27 PM »
I'm based in Dublin. I've tried out a couple of silat / fma groups here in Ireland but because of scheduling or distance they didn't work out for me, or the training wasn't quite what I was after. If I'm right I think I know you from boards.ie- Oisin? I've been meaning to try one of the thursday night classes down at Warriors Escrima alright...

Bambi

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 04:01:59 PM »
Yeah dat be me, small country eh?

There's training mondays and saturdays mornings too, there's more time available to play with stuff on those days.

grimel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 04:36:17 PM »
I like it.  It makes more sense than most instructors.  The whole series is good.  Top Dog was able to explain somethings my primary instructor has tried repeatedly to make me understand (it wasn't for a lack of trying on his part!).  Just a different way of communicating.

Scotty Dog

• Frequent Poster
  • It's Only a flesh wound
    • View Profile
    • DBMA UK
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 10:39:10 PM »
Hi Rory,

The power & footwork tapes are where I started out as well ,so they're a good Choice.

I'd also recommend Guro Lonely's Power DVD as well as it complements Top Dogs very well.

Feel free to give us a shout if your ever in Scotland  :-D 
"Cos Beliefs, are just that. They're nothing, they're how your taught and raised. That doesn't make them real...
Everything you've learned is in fact just learned & not necessarily true"

Bill Hicks

michael

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 07:16:15 AM »
I have been wanting this DVD for some time, and plan on getting it soon. Thanks for the review.
***Look at a man in the midst of doubt and danger, and you will determine in his hour of adversity what he really is***

grimel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 02:58:02 PM »
I have been wanting this DVD for some time, and plan on getting it soon. Thanks for the review.

Save time money, buy the whole set at one time.

michael

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 01:30:44 AM »

Believe me, I would love to, but I am a poor working stiff.
***Look at a man in the midst of doubt and danger, and you will determine in his hour of adversity what he really is***

grimel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 06:35:37 PM »

And I'm not??

michael

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »

And I'm not??

Apparently not. I believe you're independently wealthy. :-D For the first time in many years, I am really having to watch what I purchase and cut back. Honestly, I had forgotten what that was like. I remember now---it sucks.

Black-and-Tan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 06:03:01 AM »
Rory -

I just watched the Power DVD myself - and I know the drill you speak of when Eric throws that tire and runs up to it again. I also know what you mean about solo training; I'm in a isolated locale and there are NO schools of any type, anywhere near me. All of my training is done via DVD, distance learning or by reading; Christensen's work has been just the ticket for my location and I highly recommend any of his books.

Right now I'm working on Sambo and the CMIA system with Canemasters. For Sambo, I have to rely on a DVD - and it's tough because there are not many who volunteer to be my wrestling/sparring partner. So most times it's just me with wrestling shoes and sweats rolling around on the matted floor in the gym, by myself, with my imaginary opponent. But it's all I have to work with for now. Which reminds me: I need to order a kurtka (payday!).

For CMIA, I have DVD's and books but I've worked out a special circumstance training schedule with one of their instructors in Florida. Every few months, when I return home I'll call him and ride out to spend a day or two demonstrating what I've learned on my own. If he's satisfied, he shows me the next series of moves to work on for the next few months on island. Then I return to him after I feel I have them ingrained, moving on to the next movements, and so on.

The Power DVD translated excellently when I used my cane, but I found myself VERY SORE after trying for the magic 50 rep mark. Tried the power backhand slash and forehand slashes with a cane and bokken and Eric's drills and stances were very effective with both. But I noticed something with the cane that is a problem.

When Eric demonstrated the forehand slash, he carries it through into two additional spins; one originating at the side of the left shoulder, and another as the arc is defined away from/in front of the body. Well...the crook of my cane would come awefully close to my jawbone when I tried that follow-through spin. I have to pay close attention or I risk gouging my neck,face or ear with the tip of the crook. 

I'm learning more every day however, and that is what this is all about, isn't it? So far it has been a sobering journey.

Only recently have I been introduced to the Dog Brothers by a fellow MMA enthusiast (also the owner of the Power DVD)/  I am finding all sorts of knowledge here that I wish I'd known about years ago!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 10:07:27 AM by Black-and-Tan »

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 08:28:26 PM »
I also know what you mean about solo training; I'm in a isolated locale and there are NO schools of any type, anywhere near me. All of my training is done via DVD, distance learning or by reading;

Black and Tan,

You make some great points and I admire your insight into your own learning.  I'm fascinated by the notion of distance education in the martial arts, especially in the video/DVD/computer age.  Since this is a thread on DVD learning, I wonder if you had any other thoughts on the topic, in addition to the points you have already made.  I'm sure there are other folks out there who are expereincing the martial arts training/instructors of their dreams (DBMA, etc.) through videos, magazines, or books.  Any other thoughts or comments for those folks out there whose training or exposure to a system like DBMA might all or mostly be therough DVD?

Bryan
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com

Rory

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 09:33:42 AM »
Incidentally I headed down to a Warriors Escrima class that runs in dublin on thursday and met bambi/oisin. The coach, john, was good enough to spend a lot of time showing me some of the basics. Schedule clashes a bit with my BJJ but I would like to head down again.

Didnt get a chance to watch the footwork dvd yet...

Black-and-Tan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 11:27:11 AM »
Bryan,

Since you asked - I'd be happy to share some more thoughts on the topic of solo training, although I do consider myself a true greenhorn, and no expert at anything.

The mechanics of my drills are very simple; I interpret what I read or watch on DVD and try my best to improvise, visualise and execute. I would say that there are three phases of this distance learning process - at least speaking personally.

1. Self-motivation.
2. Academics (books, on-line videos, DVD's).
3. Practical application (drills, sparring, workout regimen, dietary, etc.).

Where I live, it is hot all year round, and quite humid. Sometimes the climate makes for a strenuous workout/drill session and I always make sure to bring enough water to hydrate me for an hour or two. If I consume my water supply, I don't last much longer outdoors; the sweat is flowing so well that at times it feels as if the water goes from the bottle, down the throat, and out the pores in seconds.

Without water, I don't drill. I carry my supply in a 1000 ML/32 oz lexan bottle.

There is a location I return to when drilling. It is in a grass field, much like a public park. Sometime long ago the military installed these 'heart trail' workout stations and connected them with a path. They are largely unused and the paths have been reclaimed by the grass; but there is one station that I return to. It consists of four horizontal metal pipes mounted in posts of differing height. From here I can do pullups, pushups, stretches etc. The posts even make a nice pell I can strike at, push against, use for reference, etc.

I also take a yoga mat with me; it's very handy for stretches and ab workouts, and even makes a nice bundle for my tools when walking to and fro.

To strike something, I use an improvised 'bag' - nothing more than an old fender I found on the beach months ago, washed up after a storm. A fender looks like a big teardrop of soft orange plastic the size of a basketball. It is filled with air, and its purpose is to cushion a boat between the sides of the dock when a mariner ties his vessel pierside. This fender had sea growth all over it when I acquired it, so a little work was needed before I could use it as a bag.

I hang my stained fender from a tree limb or off one of my 'bars' with a short length of cord. Since it's made to withstand the crushing force of a boat smashing it between the hull and the pier, this fender makes an excellent striking surface. When it swings, pendulum-like after each strike I deliver, this motion translates into a timing tool, since I have to anticipate and time each strike. There is no recurring monotony here; I must recalculate and adjust between each and every strike. Each swing of the fender as it returns toward the plumb is slightly altered.

If it is too hot, or I am sunburned, or losing blood by the pint to the bugs, I will retire to the coolness of the gym, a short walk away from my 'bars' - and usually I am greeted with a host of confused stares as I make my way past grunting ironheads who see a skinny bald guy enter 'their' gym with a bundle of blunt weapons tucked under one arm, and a dirty orange fender hanging in the other arm. But they never give me any problem whatsoever, even if I start swinging a bokken or stick at imaginary targets. A few of them have even expressed an interest in learning; but I tell them all the same thing - that I am no instructor of any kind, and I am only just starting to learn myself. For some reason this hangs them up; I give them book and DVD suggestions and am cordially polite.

Getting a routine was the easy part; choosing what I wanted to learn - now THAT was tough. There are so many different MMA's and forms to choose from! Without any previous exposure to the world of martial arts, I had no idea what any of these strange-sounding names embodied as a martial style. What was Sambo? How is it different from wrestling, or BJJ or aikido? What is Kail? Arnis? How are they different from any other stick-fighting MA? I was flummoxed at first, and even a bit discouraged. It seemed like these dozens of names and styles only served to confuse and dissuade me from picking one.

Fortunately for me, a coworker and long time pal of mine became critical in the selection process. I had someone to bounce ideas off of - and this fellow is a tenacious researcher. If he didn't know the answer to my question, he'd dig it up in time and get some straight talk looked up. Without this man's perspective as a sounding board, I'd probably still be scratching my head and wondering which !#@$*%/ MA I wanted to learn.

It was important to have someone to bounce ideas off of; a coworker, a family member, etc. Even a forum such as this was helpful, but having at least one real person to speak with, to share ideas with, truly motivates me and keeps the days from growing stagnant. It serves as a constant catalyst to the first phase, Self-Motivation. Together we come up with all sorts of ideas on how to train, what to eat, how we are sore from the previous day. We motivate each other simply by seeing in someone else the effects of martial accountability. Neither of us are spring chickens, by the way. It's been very encouraging. Two disabled vets on a comeback trail, so to speak.

Each of us sees a little more honing, a little more learning, each day. Pounds of fat are melting off, old joints are getting limber, slabs of muscle are sheathing the frame. Old habits are vanishing and being replaced by a new perspective.

Once the motivation was cultivated, the process of selection was easy. I chose CMIA because of the practicality of using a cane; the movements are VERY easy to bring into Arnis or other stick-styles. The choice of Sambo was in case an opponent got inside the reach of my cane, or in case I do not have a stick to use. Sambo is the backup, the close-in stuff that I wanted in reserve. CMIA is the primary, the long-reaching style that meshes well with almost every other stick-form. CMIA was my springboard that launched me into the reality of stick work.

And I ended up here.  :-D

I wish I'd known about Dog Brothers before!
As it stands now, I'm seriously contemplating membership as a DBMA student, as it would be an easy intermeshing system; but since I've taken the plunge with the other two styles I feel I need to grasp these first - because it took me so long to choose them! - but I forsee good things with Dog Brothers.

Hope this helps - and thank you for asking me to post more on this subject. It's become quite a strong supporting element in my life and I enjoy learning all I can and sharing it with others very much.

Be safe,

Kris

:mrgreen:

« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 11:42:22 AM by Black-and-Tan »

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 01:20:19 PM »
Black-and-Tan (Kris),

What a great post for those folks out there who are training alone.  I really value your insight into hydration and being aware of the climate.  I take water out with me when I work out in the garage or go to class, but I hadn't really thought about the difficulties of training in other environments for a long time.  I recently traveled to the south to do some training, but it rained the whole time I was there, and I was indoors the whole time.

I have a Silat teacher that I have done some seminar work with and he always talks about the value of solo training.  Since visualization is such an important part of many areas of life, I'm glad you brought that up.  I have been doing some solo/classical/form training for the past few weeks, and your post reminded me of that instructor's comments about the value of solo training.  Anyway, I respect your dedication to daily self-development.  I really would suggest that you implement some DBMA material early in your development.  It sounds like you have made a commitment to two systems that work for you (Sambo and CMIA), but consider, working 1 or 2 DBMA style powerstrikes with a baseball bat for a few minutes a day on each side.  If you watch Top Dog, he is generating a lot of power through relaxation, and even using some boxing concepts to generate with his body.  You might start thinking about how relaxation and body mechanics can be used in Sambo.  None of what I'm writing is incredably original.  We all know that cross-training can be great.  It reads like you are on a great journey of self-discovery and learning, and you are in the unique position of being accountable to no one but yourself!  Why wait?  I admire your commitment to getting a better handle on the two arts you have chosen, but why not throw in something new once in a while for 5 minutes here or 5 minutes there.  Naturally, I don't know you or you may have already regimented yourself in such a way that you are enjoying the journey.  If that is the case, ignore that comment.  It's just that I sense a little regret on your part for not having found DBMA sooner.  Now that you have found DBMA, and you are on a path that sounds amazing, why wait to experiment here and there with material that you like?  What's the worst that's going to happen?  Your instructor is going to yell at you?  :wink:

Anyway, I really enjoyed your post.  You're a very good writer.  I felt like I was there, drinking lots of water and learning through books or DVD with you.  I hope the above suggestion doesn't read as condescending.  A major theme of my training for the past few years has been to seek out the people that I have been reading about since I was a teenager, and train with them.  Don't wait.  Don't think.  Just find them and train, because I only have the present.  That mentality has led to a little credit card debt, but experiences with really great people (lots of them in DBMA) that I wouldn't trade for anything.  If you find yourself training on your own, but you have come across material that you like, why wait?  Of course that's only my opinion, and if you like what you're doing, keep it going!

Respectfully,
Bryan
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

Black-and-Tan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 05:54:05 AM »
Bryan - thanks for the encouraging words.
My working hours sometimes occupy considerable amounts of useable daylight, and my drills sometimes suffer. It was a point of motivation to know that other people are also doing the same or similar routines to enhance their own lives and take accountability and responsibility for their own advancement.  Again, thank you for the positive thoughts; they help.

I wonder how many other solo trainees are out here?

You know...

This thread gave me an idea I'd like to share.

Remember that scene in the Power DVD where Eric is tossing that tire through the air?

It occurs to me that there is a settlement dump not too far from base and during my time on island I've seen glimpses of old tires lying around in there. Not that I'm advocating digging around in the garbage piles for old tires, or mucking about in search of some grimy old tire. But I would bet money there's one in pretty good(?) shape without any funk on it that I could tote back to base for use in my workout area (to toss around as shown in the DVD).

I could also tie a second tire around the base of a tree, at shoulder height for duty as a static striking surface.

Alright; this is me getting into my truck, heading for the dump in search of The Tire...

Stay tuned...

:-D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 11:04:26 AM by Black-and-Tan »

Bambi

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 02:18:15 PM »
Incidentally I headed down to a Warriors Escrima class that runs in dublin on thursday and met bambi/oisin. The coach, john, was good enough to spend a lot of time showing me some of the basics. Schedule clashes a bit with my BJJ but I would like to head down again.

Didnt get a chance to watch the footwork dvd yet...

I Think that was Shane you were training with, John is the taller fella who was whacking me with the steel pole masquerading as a padded staff  :x.  Still no harm done, they've both been called much worse  :lol:

The Combining Stick and Footwork is a very good video from what I remember BTW

Rory

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 06:56:54 PM »
Uh-oh, I thought I might have had that wrong!

Black-and-Tan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 04:21:07 AM »
Success!

Located two tires; one on the anemic side, the other is what I'd call nominal. Toted both back to my bars and slapped a bike cable through them to discourage any would-be "Code Enforcement Personnel" from dragging them off.

(Later - same day):

Whoa!

Fingers rubbed raw from the 'Tire Discus' drills.
Gloves or finger tape might be in order for me if I'm going to continue tossing these things around. The inner edge of the tire was the most focused friction point as it launched. So if any avid shooters are reading this, be aware that if you throw some tires around, you might not be topnotch for your IPSC events the day after. These tire discus drills made my trigger finger very sore, but otherwise were fantastic!

Felt a burn in the biceps and lats...thoroughly. I managed to get about ten throws per arm before I felt like a fish out of water; not very encouraging, is it? Well and truly, tire discus drills burned me down pretty quickly.

When I changed back to using my stick, it felt like a feather; this is a rattan log, 31" x One and a quarter inches. What a great lesson!

Thank you, Dog Brothers.

(Ow).

« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:56:05 AM by Black-and-Tan »

AussieJon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 05:05:10 PM »
Hello all, I'm a Kali enthusiast from Australia

I worked as a mechanic fitting tyres for a while when I was younger I'm not sure what the situation is where you guys live but I know that here in Australia if you go to a tyre store and ask nicely they'll usually let you have one of the old worn out tyres that they have taken off someones car ( they just get rid of them anyway ) it might help to explain that you're not planning to fit it to a car and make sure you pick one that doesn't have the steel wires poking out everywhere.

An easy and free way to get a piece of training equiptment, too bad I live in a flat and don't have anywhere to put one !

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 09:04:09 AM »
I found a brand new mega tire. The Kind you see on the oversized lifted trucks here in Cali. I found it in a field while I was walking 3 of my pitts. I had to somehow wrestle with my dogs and roll this tire! That was a work out in its own but it was well worth it.

I am about to go get my tired changed and the tired on my GF car changed that 8 sets of tires that I will have access to. If anyone lives in or close to my area and wants a couple let me know. :-D

boomvark

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 04:44:35 PM »
Quote from: C-Guide Dog
If you find yourself training on your own, but you have come across material that you like, why wait?  Of course that's only my opinion, and if you like what you're doing, keep it going!

Hi Bryan,

Kris was too polite to let it slip that I'm his training partner.  I wasn't copping to it either, until I ran it by him.   :-D

He's working a lot of CMIA stuff; I'm concentrating on FMA via DBMA and hoping to pick up some slightly more formal training on the side from Arnis guys in South Florida as time and location permit.  We're sort of meeting in the middle with Sambo, and bouncing a fairly wide variety of ideas and techniques off each other--sometimes literally--from wherever we find them.  Our builds are dissimilar in the extreme, and that makes the mix of styles we bring to the field even more interesting.

I think it's fair to say that at this point we both have more questions than answers.  Just hanging around this forum provides much food for thought, though.  Y'all are great!

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 08:31:29 AM »
Boomvark,

Sorry to miss your post.  I was away from the forum for a few weeks.  It's great that you have one another to train with and that both of you are so open to learning different things from as many sources as possible.  The ability to maintain an open mind is so important.  I think we should all strive to remain in a state of having more questions than answers.  That creates a perpetual state of learning and wonder in all of our endeveours, martial or otherwise.
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

Black-and-Tan

• View Profile
Keep the tires rolling
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 07:35:02 AM »
Some time has passed and I thought I'd share some emerging experiences.

The tires continue to be the target of not only stick-strikes and delivered kicks, but of stares from passersby whenever Boomvark and I throw them around.

This week we tried a new approach to hitting the tires. Rather than striking them while the tire is hung on a post (static target) we began to roll the tires along the ground, to create a moving target. The idea was to incorporate footwork and positioning, distance, timing and power - and it worked.

When the tires roll, you have to keep up; I used a side stepping movement that positioned my strong side toward the rear of the tire as it rolled away from me. A good solid shot by a zippy forehand slash delivers enough energy to keep the tire rolling along, but in the grass it will stall quickly and begin to topple over.

Rapid, continued power shots are needed and redondos came naturally. Continuous body repositioning and relaxation movements are needed.  I'd add a forward or side kick to mix things up and help keep the tire rolling; punyos and thrusts were also very effective. Quite a fun day!

Some notes:
1. Thicker sticks were more effective at delivering more energy (and more forward momentum). We tried a longer, 1" han bo with little effect but the Top Dog model and another 1-1/4 x 31" rattan log I used really drove the tire around well.

2. As we approached the end of the space (about 100 feet or so) I tried stabbing the stick into the hollow center then hauling it up into the air and tossing it - much like a farmer would use a shovel to throw a clump of dirt. This action caused some wear and tear to my sticks (I have some 'beater' sticks I don't mind roughing up) but it was an excellent drill. I did this upon reaching the ends of each run, and it was a fast way to reverse direction. Talk about a burn...

boomvark

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 08:25:33 PM »
Here's my perspective, just for variety.

That whole "loping along dealing mighty blows with a sawed-off sequoia tree" thing works great for long, lanky, natural athlete types; for me, not so much.  I'm 5'6", with proportionately smallish hands and deficient reach; the Top Dog stick is awkwardly long, and its circumference feels like the wrong end of a baseball bat.  Sooo ... since I'm swinging weeny little 1 x 26" sticks, I can either (a) stand around fuming in counterproductive envy; (b) go tink, tink, tink all afternoon trying to drive the tire down the field, or (c) come up with an alternative strategy.  I opt for (c).

I still do the tire-throwing drills because I find them amazingly efficient as a whole-body aerobic exercise, but other than that I've pretty much blown off chasing the tire down the field.  I find it more rewarding to corral the damned thing, sidestepping circles around it and keeping (or more accurately, trying to keep) it upright with kicks as necessary while wailing away with both sticks in full-on Assault With Intent mode.  When I get bored with forehand and backhand slashes, I work thrusts for a while, then basically semi-grapple the thing and lay a couple dozen punyos in there with each hand before ditching the sticks and finishing up with knees and elbows.  If it didn't taste so nasty I'd bite it, too.

Sounds pretty stupid, huh?  You can trust me on this: It looks even dumber.

But it's a nice workout.  I spend a good chunk of the next day feeling like the tire was beating on me.