Author Topic: Round 2 with Crafty in Toronto  (Read 9537 times)

Growling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Round 2 with Crafty in Toronto
« on: January 13, 2009, 08:02:03 AM »
we chose the warmest month to host Guro Marc in Toronto again
feb 8th and 9th at John Vivians new crossfit facility (http://www.crossfitto.com, you can find allot of excellent work outs on this site)
for more info contact me @
renecocolo@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:08:15 AM by herrero »
those who do not listen learn through feeling

Growling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Round 2 with Crafty in Toronto
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 02:13:29 PM »
i just got the word
Sled Dog will be joining us that weekend as well :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 06:51:36 PM »
This is good news indeed!

Shawn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 07:32:40 PM »
Renee did another great job of putting things together.  Safe trip home to Crafty and Sled Dog, and a big thanks to both for making the trip here (Crafty I hope you feel better soon).  A big thumbs up on the drumming this time out!

Growling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 11:54:37 PM »
good times

Rene

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 10:02:05 AM »
Woof All:

Another fine time in Toronto.  Once again a particularly enjoyable group to work with, and a great pleasure to see my good friend Sled Dog.

Due to my struggling with a lingering case of the cooties, we passed on working our Kali Tudo Running Dog Game (I did demo it for about 20 minutes on Sunday though) and focused mostly on various aspects of stickwork.

Due to a smaller room at the first seminar, I had not gone into Dos Triques (our double stick blend of Kali and Krabi Krabong of Thailand) which is one of the primary building blocks of the system.    This time around though we had a bigger room (thank you once again Cross Fit) and so we were able to get some good work done.   I speak of DT consisting of "mathemaniacal formulaes" -- and I suppose I could say that the stages that people go through in learning the material is a mathematical progression of its own.

Step One:  Oh, that looks really easy.
Step Two:  Ummm, , , uhhhh, , , show me that again please?
Step Three: OK, got it.
Step Four:  Ummm , , , no I don't.  I (or DT  :lol: ) must really suck.
Step Five:  OHHHH!!! I get it , , , No I don't , , , Yes I do , , ,  Light bulbs begin to light up everywhere.
Step Six:  As the rules of the formulae are understood, the practitionere begins to self-correct.
Step Seven:  Additional details are brought out
Step Eight:  Additional combinations are introduced, deepening the understanding of the formulae.

Then we see how the footwork matrix and its formulae apply in different weapon categories.

In this case we went to single stick:

1) Salt & Pepper:  "a triangle from the third dimension" (TF3D) combination series against the forehanded counter attacker
2) the Kalimba Dodger: again TF3D, this time against the forehanded "Mongo Smash" fighter
3) Outside sweep, Inside Diamond:  TF3D against the backhander

We finished on Sunday with Kali Tudo Trig 101 into outside diamond triangle angular crash-strike combination:  "Stepping throught the portal to the magical dimension where martial arts and crafts actually work" (c)

Monday morning worked with Rene and two good friends of his (Gordon, Andre) on some closed door material.

I am delighted to announce that Rene is now a DBMA Group Leader.

Walk as a Warrior for all our days,
Guro Crafty

Shawn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 10:49:27 PM »
Congrats to Rene!

And thanks for that overview.  I'm in the process of typing up (and expanding on) my own notes from the sessions and for some reason it is akin to pulling teeth...or having them pulled.  I've just finished the Saturday morning material and starting on the Saturday afternoon (Salt & Pepper).

We also started to work some Lameco combinations on Sunday with the cross step, but it seemed people were having trouble with it and you moved on to the siniwali variation instead.

I picked up the Los Triques DVD at the seminar and now my notes from the seminar before finally make sense :-)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 10:20:17 AM »
Oh yes, I had forgotten about that.  We looked at "breaking the mirror": 

a) the J pattern matching Heaven 6
b) then we worked Lameco combos 1-5 with an eye to working "mett, merge, follow" with Lameco 5 against Standard 6 but I could see that I was losing just about everyone and so simply abandoned the mission and moved on the Kali Tudo.

Glad to hear of the synergy for you of the Dos Triques DVD with the seminar.  That was/is part of the idea  :-)

Ronin

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 11:49:43 AM »
Congrats to Rene who is always tireless in his promoting of DBMA !
Well done, great to see you guys had a great time and that there was so much to learn and enjoy.

mexicannnnnn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 09:26:09 AM »
Congrats Rene!  Thanks Crafty for another great seminar. :)