Author Topic: staying cutting edge  (Read 7080 times)

gojitsuman

staying cutting edge
« on: November 08, 2003, 12:25:23 PM »
What methods do you use to stay on the top,where or what methods do you pull from to keep dog bros cutting edge. when do you decide that it is time to explore other systems. thanks gojitsuman

Mike

• View Profile
    • Real Contact Stick Fighting
staying cutting edge
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 12:32:44 PM »
I don't think it's important to be the best one or to be remained. To be successful in future it doesn't need to investigate a new style. It's enough to look for new tactics and strategies. Sometimes it is also necessarily to be returned to the basis techniques. (Caveman or else..)

Kindly regards, Mike

Ed

• View Profile
staying cutting edge
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 04:42:29 PM »
hi
im not a dog brother but i think the best way is to practice whenever you can wherever you are i think thats one of many meaning of "walk as warrior for the rest of you life" and if you have a chance to go and be a part of a  Gathering of the Pack tha would word perfectly that way you will be always in good shape but remember you cant be on top always there has to be a time in which there will be someone even better but with all that you will have no problem in givin a hard time  :)
see ya next post, best regards

Ed

Mike

• View Profile
    • Real Contact Stick Fighting
staying cutting edge
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 12:18:22 AM »
"The modern Eskrimador`s life is like walking a path of knowledge. You join that path with all of the others whom walk it with you. You follow those in front of you, and you lead and inspire those behind you. You just keep on going until you reach your destination. It's the journey that matters, not the landmarks that you pass along the way."

Quotation from the late Punong Guro Edgar Sulite

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
staying cutting edge
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 12:57:23 PM »
Woof All:

El J, nice quote from PG Edgar!

G, although I thank you for your kind description of us as "on top", I prefer to see it simply as a matter of continuing to grow.  As we say in DBMA "If you ain't the lead sled dog, the view is all the same.  No one beats everyone.  Everyone looks at someone's ass sometimes-- so be not humble, be not proud.  Do if for yourself and not in reference to others."

That said, putting oneself on the line on a regular basis seems to be very useful to continued growth.  Dilemas -- which is written in Chinese by combining the characters for "danger" and "opportunity" I am told-- present themselves all the time and the search for answers is perennial 8)

One of the great advantages of being a student of Guro Inosanto is the vast network of superb people and systems with which he is connected-- for example my connection with Tuhon Chris and Sayoc Kali began due to his introduction.

That said, that is not necessarily enough-- it greatly helps if there is common thread.  For example the Sayoc system's understanding of what in DBMA is called "Snake Range" is very high.

Sometimes random luck and curiosity play a role.  I had briefly met GM Ramiro Estalilla of Kabaroan Eskrima in 1988 and in the late 90s attended a seminar of his that led to fruitful learning with common thread-- he too had a sense of snake range, as well as good material with large weapons which was a weak area.

Sometimes its just an itch (often provoked by Guro I.  :wink: ) in search of a scratch.  The awareness of the need for scientific grappling was provoked by Guro I around 1989 when he brought in Shootfighting, but it was through other channels that I found the Machado Brothers and brought the BJJ in to our fighting.  In this case I am very proud to have been able for once to return a favor to Guro Inosanto-- I am the one who introduced him to the Machados and persuaded him to start with them.

Mostly though it is a matter of always being on the lookout combined with honestly assessing oneself, one's students, and others for strengths and weaknesses.  Juan Matus spoke of hunting with intent-- something like that , , ,

Does this help?
Crafty Dog