Author Topic: Sun Tzu  (Read 5018 times)

Arkangel

Sun Tzu
« on: February 04, 2004, 03:31:34 PM »
The first thing that popped to mind for me was when the Gracie's burst onto the scene with the first UFC. Open your minds or die.
just a thought.
 :twisted: Hurcum :twisted:

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
Sun Tzu
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 04:49:44 PM »
What part of Sun Tzu's work are you referencing ?

The Dog Brother tapes made a far greater impression on me than
the UFC, although I have to admit that seeing UFC 1 was awesome.
The DB Gathering seemed impossible during my first view, especially as a student of weapons martial arts.   After watching the DB tapes, I slowly realized that no one had died.  This, in turn, made me question my
own meager abilities in weapons arts.
Baltic Dog

Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo (Prof. Richard Lewis)
3rd Degree Black Belt Instructor

Bono JKD/Kajukenbo (Prof. John Bono)
Gentlemen's Fighting Club

Anonymous

Sun Tzu
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 10:23:33 PM »
Dusted off "The Art of War" this weekend and came across this quote:

"In all fighting, the direct method may be used for joining battle, but indirect methods will be needed in order to secure victory".

Curious if people feel this translates to hand to hand combat, and if so, how?

Miguel

I was looking at the other thread and posting on it. While the Dogbrothers tapes made a huge impact on me personally. I had time invested in the fma at that point, I feel looking at a bigger more general picture what the Gracie's did to martial arts was more widely felt. Here were a group of guy's telling and making stick a whole bunch of dreamers and armchair killers "Let's see what yuo have."
Yeah yeah St. Bruce made a huge impact on the martial arts psyche, but the Gracie's were what cleaned it up. All these guy's, and gal's studying this amazing and deadly art, or that amazing and deadly art, the ninja's the aikidoka, the judoka and the boxer, damn near everyone had to go from saying "We have all the combat answers" to "Holy Smokes these guy's would make me unconcious". Sorry for the run on sentence. Seriously though this sudden return to an agressive loosely codified expression of combat made alot of people take some serious stocj of what they were teaching. The strength of this wave is still cresting, we have yet to reach the peak of it.
Look how many people started revealing hidden groundfightnig secrets of x system that had never been revealed before. I mean their timing could not have been better. They were now in a position to make some money and talk big too.
<B>PLEASE NOTE I AM WRITING THIS IN EXTREMELY BIG CAPITAL LETTERS THAT I HAVE ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING AGAINST THE ARTS AND SCIENCES LISTED ABOVE OR THEIR PRACTITIONERS. THESE ARE JUST EXAMPLES!!!</B>
i KNOW I AM YELIING, I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE EVERYONE HEARS ME CLEARLY.
I realize now I am way off topic sorry, it all just kind of rolled out.
By the way, I think the superhero idea was brilliant. If you do that again I would like to come down. Can I be Captain Underpants? Please.
Hurcum
[/b]