Author Topic: staff fighting  (Read 14481 times)

pampangafighter

staff fighting
« on: August 07, 2004, 04:54:17 PM »
Mabuhay to all you hardcore dedicated martial artists! May you live in peace through your many hours of training.  Just wondering if the participants during the DB gatherings wear a thicker or heavier headgear during the staff matches?  Just observing them wearing a fencing mask during a staff vs. sticks or a staff match as the only head protection I can just imagine a solid hit to the head would be very serious blow.  Are there any other types of head gear used instead of the fencing mask?  I've practiced some non padded staff sparring and took soime solid hits to the head with hockey players helmet on and just it just cracked!  Just wondering if fencing masks are enough protection from that.

salamat.

Russ

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • DBMA Connecticut
staff fighting
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 06:04:29 PM »
Woof Pampangafighter,

No.... it's just regular fencing masks in the staff fights.  I momentarily blacked out 3 times in my staff fight with True Dog (Chris Clifton).  Staff fighting is no joke!  Enter at your own risk....  Many fighters get broken hands and fingers from this as well.

Guro Crafty has some awesome staff material.  The best I have ever seen.  It's primarily based on the material he learned in the Philippines from GT Gaje with some Inosanto Blend staff mixed in to it.  It's also very theraputic for your back to swing the staff in this manner.  It develops all the muscles equally and tends to reset it.

Woof,
Dog Russ
C-Bad Dog, Lakan Guro DBMA
http://dbma-connecticut.webs.com/

pampangafighter

staff fights
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 12:40:21 AM »
Mabuhay Dog Russ,

Thank you for your honest response.  If I would participate in such an event such as these particularily in staff matches with other weaponry I would practice alot of defense against angles to the head.  If there are any parts of the body I would not get hit it I would pay close attention to thehead/neck area.

Salamat.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
staff fighting
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 07:00:23 AM »
Woof Pampanga:

After a perforated ear drum in one staff fight, we have allowed staff fighters to wear wrestling ear guards under the fencing masks-- but not all staff fighters do this.

Concerning training to protect the head-- GOOD IDEA.   Forgive me the commercial, but in DBMA head protection skills (a.k.a. "protecting your IQ") are considered foundational.  Staffs can be tricky things however-- the drift shots with a staff may be very hard to read and some nasty whacks to the shin can result  :shock:  :cry:  if one is in a blocking state of mind.

Tail wags to Dog Russ for the kind words.  I would say that DBMA staff material is primarily Inosanto Blend, with the core power strike coming from GT Gaje of Pekiti Tirsia.  Krabi Krabong is also a source and there are important elements of Bando as well.

We also regard the staff as an important tool in body health and draw heavily upon Bando's Dhanda Staff (yoga with the staff) in this regard.  

Woof,
Guro Crafty

pampangafighter

staff fighting
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 02:16:52 PM »
Mabuhay Crafty Dog,

With all humbleness and humility I thank you for your kind reply and much honor to you and your DB tribe.  Because of the high risk of serious head injury or that slim chance of a fatal blow during a staff match between 2 highly skilled fighters would you consider allowing a thicker head gear rather than a fencing mask?  

Thanks for sharing your information about the Dhanda Staff.  I would like to research about it a little more,  I am always trying ways to improve flexiblility and physical fitness through martial training which can lead to one's longetivity throughout their years of practicing martial arts.  I admire your physique in the pics you posted, looks like you and most of your tribe train hard.

Salamat.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Portugese stick fighting...
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 06:34:28 PM »
Found this clip via another forum, very similar to the DBMA / Pekiti Tersia.

This clip also has 1 vs 2 people with protective gear on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSDSsereOdg 

Link to the actual thread is here.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49199
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: staff fighting
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 06:39:46 PM »
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: staff fighting
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 07:19:09 PM »
Woof Robert:

I've seen the Jogo de Pau before.  To my eye it looks rather close to the Sicilian staff.    As far as I can tell these clips are of basic drills and as such tend towards universal motions.

CD