Author Topic: The single stick  (Read 6218 times)

CrazyIvan

• View Profile
The single stick
« on: March 14, 2006, 08:31:11 AM »
Just curious as to how many practitioners fight with a single stick? I had one person tell me I would be looked down on if I chose to fight with a single stick even if I switch stick hands.

I am learning what is for the most part a double stick art, but I find myself wanting to have an empty hand to grab my opponent or set up a lock/takedown.  Is this just inexperience or do some "Top Dogs" feel this way?

outcast

• View Profile
Single Stick
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 06:56:55 AM »
A lot of Gathering fights are single stick.  Doing either single or double stick only will make your game that much weaker.  Don't feel bad about using single stick.  Your more likely to have weapon about that length than two.

CrazyIvan

• View Profile
The single stick
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 01:26:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to ad that I dont train just single stick, it is just what I prefer (so far). That might change in the future it is hard to say.

When I was originally taught to fight, I was taught never to break contact with an opponent once you had closed the distance. Hold on to them, leg lock them, scissor them....anything but let them escape until the fight is over.

Now I am fighting with a weapon insteading of just training self-defense against a knife/gun, etc. and I still have the mentality "Don't let him get away until you are finished with him."

I guess I dont know if it is good or bad.....

Butters

• View Profile
Re: The single stick
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 02:14:09 PM »
Quote from: CrazyIvan
I had one person tell me I would be looked down on if I chose to fight with a single stick even if I switch stick hands.

I am not speaking for the Dog Bros but why would anyone look down to you for preferring single stick? This sounds kinda dumb. Plus who cares what anyone thinks of you?  :)
Nick, Greece

CrazyIvan

• View Profile
The single stick
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 03:02:57 PM »
Very true bro... thanks for that. I had a friend tell me I could use a pink stick if I hit hard enough with it nobody will care....lol

outcast

• View Profile
Stylistic
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 08:14:24 AM »
Top Dog has been known to fight single stick vs double stick and win.  I don't think his opponent is going to call him a fool.  As far as closing and finishing, that's effective and your style too!  I know Sifu Paul Vunak also teaches this approach.  So no worries.  Use what works and don't forget that you're more important than any style!

"You're training yourself.  You're instructor only shows the way.  You ultimately train yourself." - pp. Carl James RSF Series