Author Topic: Proper way to condition shins  (Read 5158 times)

CrazyIvan

• View Profile
Proper way to condition shins
« on: March 31, 2006, 09:12:45 AM »
Does anyone have any tricks of the trade for conditioning shins? I have been using the "roll and strike" method where you roll (very hard) a stick up and down the shin and then strike the bone until basically you can't stand it.

I don't mind the pain but this method seems very slow in reducing the feeling and sensation.

I know there is no such thing as instant results but any tips would be welcome.

thai70

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 10:33:12 AM »
I have heard lots of advice on this topic and I'll just repeat what I've heard.  
1) Never strike your shins with anything.  It cause bone bruises that don't heal.
2) It is ok to roll a stick (rattan) up and down your shins.  It will bring results (slowly) but it will help as an add on exercise.  Usually start with about 100 rolls, and work your way up with reps and intensity of pressure on the shin.   Make sure to point your shins to fully expose the shin bone and roll it on the point of your shin not the flat sides.
3) The only tried and true thing that works is kicking a solid heavy bag and thai pad training.  This takes a long time, but it gives results.
4) Don't rush it.  You will get injured.  Like anything else, it takes time, hard work, a decent pain threshhold and determination.
Good Luck
tom

CrazyIvan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 03:01:24 PM »
I appreciate the answer. I knew I was going too far. I am kind of thick headed and get impatient, but your advice sounds like good stuff.

Thanks again

Maraming Salamat po

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 09:27:36 PM »
Allow me to second this statement:

The only tried and true thing that works is kicking a solid heavy bag and thai pad training. This takes a long time, but it gives results.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com