Author Topic: MMA Thread  (Read 567018 times)

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
Re: MMA Thread
« Reply #350 on: May 27, 2009, 08:04:04 AM »
woof Guro Crafty,

Which looks pretty much exactly like the straight blast as taught by Guro Inosanto and then popularlized by Paul Vunak in the early to mid 80s if not sooner.

thank you for the info!

~sg
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Jonobos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 31, 2009, 01:28:07 PM »
Wow, I really enjoyed all those .gifs Stickgrappler! They really showed the angles that set up those sweeps. Sometimes that stuff is very subtle at full speed, but slowed down like that you can even tell which direction he pulled the legs out from under his opponents.
When life gives you lemons make lemonade
When life gives you hemlock, do NOT make hemlockade!

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 01, 2009, 09:25:50 AM »
woof Jonobos:

Wow, I really enjoyed all those .gifs Stickgrappler! They really showed the angles that set up those sweeps. Sometimes that stuff is very subtle at full speed, but slowed down like that you can even tell which direction he pulled the legs out from under his opponents.

cool! thank you. of the ones i made, i had fun. yeah, watching it realtime, it's possible to miss details. making the gif's/finding gif's helps me isolate certain techniques and it totally helps me in my understanding.

very truly yours in the MA,

~sg
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 02, 2009, 06:15:08 PM »
http://sherdog.com/news/news/update-tuf-takes-slice-17739

“Kimbo Slice” will be among the 16 heavyweight fighters to join the 10th season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” which starts shooting this week in Las Vegas.

"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 03, 2009, 03:11:45 AM »
Never a dull moment  :lol:

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 05, 2009, 07:58:12 AM »
woof:

ugh on Kimbo Slice

sorry to all, i exceeded my 25gb monthly bandwidth on photobucket. looks like the pix will 'come back' on 6/27

~sg

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 07, 2009, 05:11:24 AM »
Arvloski got KO'd in 22 secs!!!!!!!!!!! :-o

http://sherdog.com/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 07, 2009, 06:48:52 AM »
For some reason I always liked Arlovski.  The loss to Fedor was a heartbreaker, but arguably could be blamed on his doing a flying leap chin first into Fedor's big right.  However, with this loss it appears to be time to consider moving on.

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 07, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
I agree completely, the guy is good but does not have the chin to take a shot. In the heavyweight division there are to many guys that can put somebody down with one shot. Besides Arvloski is taking the boxing aspect as the ultimate solution to his game. Josh Barnett said it himself MMA is not boxing.

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 14, 2009, 09:27:39 AM »
WOW!!! That's all I can say!  Tim Sylvia got whooped by Ray Mercer!!! :?

http://www.mmalinker.com/xExternal.php?vidid=16788

Slow motion.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: June 14, 2009, 07:47:55 PM »
WOW!!! That's all I can say!  Tim Sylvia got whooped by Ray Mercer!!! :?

http://www.mmalinker.com/xExternal.php?vidid=16788

Slow motion.

Even Kimbo didn't try to stand Toe 2 Toe.  Mercer has many years behind him as a Pro Boxer.

"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 14, 2009, 09:22:12 PM »
WHEN was Mercer fighting?  It seems like QUITE a long time ago.  IIRC he came to boxing late in life, with little but lots of power and lots of chin and that his last several fights were quite hard on him.

selfcritical

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 14, 2009, 09:59:53 PM »
What's hilarious is that Tim broke what was apparently a "gentleman's agreement" that he wouldn't kick etc, but when he decided to start cheating, didn't have the sense to try for a takedown instead.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 14, 2009, 10:29:45 PM »
WHEN was Mercer fighting?  It seems like QUITE a long time ago.  IIRC he came to boxing late in life, with little but lots of power and lots of chin and that his last several fights were quite hard on him.

Ray Mercer was a 1988 Olympian, entered boxing in 1989 and has been fighting on and off since then. Last boxing match was in 2008, Sweden.

Complete record here:
http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=1620&cat=boxer

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 22, 2009, 10:17:36 AM »
woof all,

Stickgrappler and I have a league started over at fantasy.ufc.com
If anyone is interested, shoot me PM with your email and I will invite you to play.
The next event to pick is UFC 100 in about 20 three weeks.

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 02, 2009, 05:33:02 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Josh Koshchek
« Reply #366 on: July 02, 2009, 09:13:48 AM »
Josh Koshchek:  Discuss strengths and weaknesses please.  Any footage of him fighting?

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 08, 2009, 11:48:15 AM »
woof all,

If anyone is interested, shoot me PM with your email and I will invite you to play.
The next event to pick is UFC 100 in about three weeks.

Last chance to join before UFC 100

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 09, 2009, 06:14:29 AM »
woof all,

The next event to pick is UFC 100 in about three weeks.

Last chance to join before UFC 100

woof:

i missed your earlier post Chad :-(

i have about 50% if not a little more of my picks down... will get the rest in before cutoff...

the rest of you, come join in on the fun!

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Josh Koshchek
« Reply #369 on: July 09, 2009, 06:16:06 AM »
Josh Koshchek:  Discuss strengths and weaknesses please.  Any footage of him fighting?

woof Guro,

i haven't really watched his fights before, will check some out. my coworker, who has a good memory, and loves MMA, says koscheck is a good fighter and he's got good wrestling. of course my coworker is not a MA-ist so i will have to check out koscheck's fights before commenting.

~sg

selfcritical

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 09, 2009, 08:09:35 AM »
Josh is probably the best pure athlete other than GSP at welterweight, and the most decorated wrestler. It was a big deal when he went on TUF instead of trying out for the olympics.

Josh doesn't always demonstrate this, because he's started to get heavy hands, and only spends about %10 of his training on wrestling now. I believe that was a bit of a tactical error going into the GSP fight.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 09, 2009, 09:50:10 AM »
Selfcritical-- thank you.

Any URLs anyone?

TIA,
CD

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 10, 2009, 07:24:29 AM »
woof:

i asked on http://www.spladdle.com, my friends there replied with:

He's an excellent wrestler. One of the very best in MMA.
Lately he's developed a dangerous standup game too. only problem if any is he lately has neglected his wrestling to "keep it standing" perhaps when he should have wrestled, but overall, the definition of tough.

and

He also doesn't mind to take fights last minute or without a big rest in between.

pretty much what selfcritical said.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 07:28:27 AM by Stickgrappler »

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 13, 2009, 02:12:41 PM »
UFC 100 in the books

woof all, sorry for not being able to post sooner... animated gif's from 3 of the fights from UFC 100

My thanks to the original gif makers and to my friend Ausgepicht for posting the gif's to his forum http://www.spladdle.com/forum. I uploaded to my pichosts to help save on bandwidth. Enjoy!

GEORGES ST. PIERRE VS THIAGO ALVES

GSP won by unanimous decision. Despite a groin pull, GSP throughout 5 rounds continually took Alves down and controlled him on the ground. GSP's takedowns scared off Alves' kicks.

BROCK LESNAR VS FRANK MIR

Frank Mir's best chance in round 2 against Brock Lesnar was this exchange.

This was Round 2 of Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir. Round 1 was almost the whole round of Brock ground and pound similar to the round 2 G&P.

DAN HENDERSON VS MICHAEL BISPING

Henderson and Bisping fought because they were the coaches of The Ultimate Fighter season 9.

Bisping, known as a stand-up fighter only, tries to take world-class wrestler Henderson down.

The KO that put Bisping to sleep.

Here's a bigger pic of the flying elbow/forearm after the KO.

Bisping was told by his corner to stop circling to Henderson's power which was his right. One of Boxing's maxims says the same thing. He paid by not listening to the advice.

bedens

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 13, 2009, 02:31:38 PM »
Well, I did better than I thought I would in the fantasy league (kickinfamily)... :)

Thanks for posting the animated GIFs, SG!

- Bert

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: July 14, 2009, 01:22:53 PM »
woof bedens/kickinfamily:

Well, I did better than I thought I would in the fantasy league (kickinfamily)... :)

Thanks for posting the animated GIFs, SG!

- Bert

congrats! was it your first time like me? if Chad and Morgan pick better and we both continue with our accurate picks, we may win! lol

~sg

bedens

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 15, 2009, 02:43:06 PM »

congrats! was it your first time like me? if Chad and Morgan pick better and we both continue with our accurate picks, we may win! lol

~sg

Yes, it was... I didn't even know it existed until I saw Chad's post... I think I was struck with pure luck this time... :)

- Bert

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 17, 2009, 06:07:36 AM »

~sg

Yes, it was... I didn't even know it existed until I saw Chad's post... I think I was struck with pure luck this time... :)

- Bert

woof!

ah, hope we did use up our (beginner's) luck then ... sometime over the w/e i am going to check out the next one and figure out my picks :-)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Not sure what to make of this , , ,
« Reply #378 on: July 23, 2009, 10:52:23 AM »
Hello,

My name is Kristen and I am a Casting Producer for the ABC hit reality show 'Wife Swap.' We are currently casting for our fifth season and we are looking for Ultimate Fighters and their families. We want to feature a family with at least one member is on or dreams of being on UFC Circuit. We think this is a great opportunity to feature the sport and have fun for the whole family.

The premise of Wife Swap is simple: for seven days, two wives from two different families with very different values exchange husbands, children and lives (but not bedrooms) to discover what it's like to live a different family's life. It's an interesting social experiment and a great way to see your family in a whole new light. It is shot as a documentary series, so NO scripts and no set. It's just one camera that is documenting your life.

Families that appear on the show will receive a financial honorarium for lost wages, time and commitment. And if you refer a family that appears on the show you would receive $1000.Here at 'Wife Swap' we look for a two-parent home with at least one child between the ages of 6 and 17 living at home full time.

If you are interested, please email me your contact information and tell me a little about your family. Or if you would like to refer a family, please email me their contact information and I will be in touch.

Thank you!

Kristen Phelan

Casting Associate Producer
RDF Media USA
100 6th Ave, 3rd Floor,Suite 3-29
NY, NY 10013
P: 646.747.7936
E: Casting.Kristen@gmail.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Affliction finished. Fedor to UFC?
« Reply #379 on: July 25, 2009, 06:08:59 AM »
Affliction folds promotion, will sponsor UFC
By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports

After promoting two critically acclaimed but financially disastrous mixed martial arts cards, Affliction on Friday first canceled its pay-per-view card scheduled for Aug. 1 and then opted to get out of the promotional business.

Affliction released a statement Friday evening in which it announced “a collaboration with the UFC.” It confirmed that it will cease operations as a fight promoter and that its clothing division will become a UFC sponsor.

“Our brand is synonymous with the ‘Live Fast’ approach to life and UFC is the perfect venue for us to market our brand. We have come to an agreement with the UFC which we feel will be the best for the sport and will help the UFC continue delivering the highest caliber of fights.” said Eric Foss, co-founder of Affliction.

Affliction had a card slated for Aug. 1 with a main event of Fedor Emelianenko, the No. 2 fighter in the Yahoo! Sports mixed martial arts rankings, against former UFC champion Josh Barnett at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

But Barnett tested positive for an anabolic steroid and on Tuesday was denied a license to fight by the California State Athletic Commission.

That left Affliction scrambling to find a replacement for Emelianenko. With no viable alternatives – the best was former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort, who was already down to 195 pounds for a scheduled middleweight fight – Affliction early Friday opted to scrap the show.

Later in the day, Affliction came to terms on a deal with the UFC in which it would quit promoting fight cards. The UFC is likely to absorb the contracts of all Affliction fighters except Emelianenko.

Emelianenko’s contractual status is not known, though UFC president Dana White said Friday he is trying to negotiate a deal with the Russian.

Multiple sources had indicated to Yahoo! Sports that Affliction was on the verge of a deal with Strikeforce for some sort of merger, but that fell apart in the last 24-48 hours. That’s when talks began anew between White and Affliction. They had spoken earlier in July about such a scenario, but were unable to come to a deal.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 25, 2009, 01:27:12 PM »
a step closer to fedor x couture or fedor x brock lesnar -- woohoo!

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 29, 2009, 06:49:46 PM »
Our UFC fanatsy league is still open to members, friends and family of the DBMAA. email me if you want in. Picks for UFC 101 are due at the end of next week.

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 03, 2009, 12:20:34 PM »
Looks like Fedor signed with Strikeforce. I am loosing faith in this guy. He is holding out for money, signs with a second tier promotion and basicallly refuses to fight the best fighters in the world right now. Press keeps on writing how he beat three former UFC Champions, well they are former Champions for a reason, they lost and are no longer associated with the UFC. The best fighters in MMA are in the UFC, those that deserve to be there will get there eventually. Personally I feel Brock Lesnar with knock Fedor out!

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 05, 2009, 02:06:24 PM »
Our UFC fanatsy league is still open to members, friends and family of the DBMAA. email me if you want in. Picks for UFC 101 are due at the end of next week.

i've made all my picks today. here's hoping beginner's luck is still with me lol

matinik

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 08, 2009, 09:12:09 PM »

From cagewriter (Yahoo.com)

Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:58 pm EDT
Silva mocks, fights and delivers a highlight reel knockout

By Steve Cofield

Anderson Silva is awesome when he wants to be. Even Roy Jones Jr., who was "scouting" Silva the fight had to be proud. Jones used to toy with his opponent - the butcher and deliverymen - he faced throughout the 90's. Silva did the same with the former UFC light heavyweight champ Forrest Griffin. Silva floored Griffin 1:54 into the fight and from there Griffin looked tentative and slow. Silva was so confident he started dropping his hands and mocking the much bigger Griffin. Griffin tried a lunging right-left combination, Silva deftly backed out of the way and knocked down the big guy with a right moving backwards. Griffin fell to his back. He was done as the fight was stopped at the 3:23 mark. The always emotional Griffin ran from the cage back to the lockerrooms.

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 09, 2009, 07:35:33 AM »
Anderson Silva landed a perfectly timed punch. It did not look like much, but he landed it while Forrest was coming in. True fight science. I believe Bruce Lee mentioned something about that in his book. But then again nothing is new under the Sun.

Finally a UFC where everyone that should have won...won!

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 10, 2009, 01:21:39 PM »

bedens

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 10, 2009, 01:41:58 PM »
Finally a UFC where everyone that should have won...won!

This was a tough one... I wanted Griffin to win but figured Silva would... Oh well...

At least BJ won... That's the one I was really hoping for...

And yeah, I didn't do too bad in the fantasy picks for the group... *nudge nudge to those who haven't joined* :)

Can't wait for 102! My school's having a tournament that day, and a bunch of us are heading to Buffalo Wild Wings afterwards for a watch party... Naked wings and rear naked chokes... What a combination! :)

- Bert

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 17, 2009, 07:42:41 AM »
Anyone watch the Gina Carano and Cris Cyborg fight?

Good round I thought it was pretty even for that first round, and dare say Gina Carano was getting the better of her.

At one point in the fight Gina Carano had a full mount and Cris Cyborg was covering up. But Gina did the weirdest thing. She stood up and got off of Cris Cyborg. Let her get back up to resume the fight standing up! A FULL MOUNT AND SHE STOOD BACK UP!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!! Somebody in her camp should address that issue. :?

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 17, 2009, 07:44:38 AM »
Gegard Mousasi is one to watch. Very talented fighter from Holland. I think he can give Anderson Silva or Lyoto Machida a run for their money! Lets hope he switches promotions and hops on the UFC bandwagon.

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 14, 2009, 02:09:38 PM »
Woof,

my apologies for slack during the summer months reguarding the UFC fantasy league. My picks for the 16th are in. The fantasy league continues to be open for dog brothers/friends/family. email me if you would like an invite. cbloom@live.com

I will post a UFC Fight Night thread in the public forums where we can discuss reactions and talk trash between bouts. I should get it up and running just prior to 8PM EST. Join me through the event and during the premeire of TUF: Heavyweights.

This thread will be for all forum members, not just fantasy leaguers- but be warned there will be SPOILERS!!

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 17, 2009, 11:28:44 AM »
Some very smooth lead switching last night from Roger H.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Chad

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 18, 2009, 07:03:14 AM »
Woof Ryan,

yes he looked good, I thought he would win IIRC that was his last fight on his contract?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The UFC soap opera continues
« Reply #393 on: September 24, 2009, 04:59:16 PM »

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_yl...e=lgns&print=1
Rampage claims he’s ‘done fighting’ in UFC

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports Sep 23, 2:38 am EDT

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson is no longer part of the UFC’s “A-Team,” according to a post on his blog.

Jackson, one of mixed martial arts’ biggest stars, wrote “I’m done fighting” in a post on his official blog and expressed displeasure with UFC president Dana White.
White, who bailed Jackson out of jail last year after an incident in which Jackson was driving his truck on the wrong side of the street, was angry with Jackson for accepting a role as B.A. Baracus, made famous by Mr. T on NBC, in “The A-Team” movie. Jackson pulled out of a planned Dec. 12 fight with Rashad Evans because it conflicted with the movie’s filming schedule.
In his post, Jackson wrote of a series of disagreements with management, which he said began shortly after he signed with the UFC. He said he was rushed into a championship fight with Chuck Liddell in 2007 before he was known by American fans. He said after the win over Liddell, the UFC arranged a fight with Dan Henderson without asking him and then pressured him earlier this year into fighting Evans instead of taking a championship shot against Lyoto Machida.
Related Video

Quinton Jackson

Jackson said he wanted to take the movie role because he used to watch the television show with his father and it brought back fond memories.
“Dana went on the Internet and mocked me because of that and I still did nothing,” Jackson wrote. “Dana and I finally talked and we made up and then after that he went back on the Internet and said some [expletive] and he was talking bad about the movie, when information is not even supposed to be released … My body has been getting so many different injuries that I won’t be able to fight until my 40s and neither do I want to fight that long. So I feel like my second career could be in jeopardy. So I’m done fighting. I’ve been getting negative reviews from the dumb ass fans that don’t pay my bills or put my kids though college. So I’m hanging it up.”
White declined to comment Tuesday. He had made no secret of his displeasure with Jackson for taking the role and said prior to UFC 103 on Saturday that he had not been speaking with Jackson.
But White told reporters at the postfight news conference that he and Jackson had mended fences and were speaking.
“We kind of made up,” White said. “We’re going to figure it out. [Jackson] wants the Rashad fight. He’s in Vancouver doing this movie. It is what it is. Now we just have to figure out when. We’ll see what happens.”
Jackson and Evans are coaches on the current season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” which airs on Spike TV. They were scheduled to fight Dec. 12 in Jackson’s hometown of Memphis, Tenn., at UFC 107.
The UFC’s stance has been that it has offered Jackson a choice after his victory over Keith Jardine at UFC 96 in March. He would have been able to fight Machida for the title at UFC 98 or to fight Evans. Jackson was angry that Evans came into the cage after his win over Jardine and Jackson reportedly chose the Evans fight.
At a media day in June in Las Vegas to promote the 10th season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” Jackson said he took the opportunity to coach on the show because of the exposure it would give him. He was clearly angry that some fans suggested he was afraid of Machida and said he wanted to fight Machida after he met Evans.
But in his post Tuesday, Jackson said that wasn’t the case. At the time Jackson defeated Jardine at UFC 96 in March, Evans held the UFC’s light heavyweight belt. Jackson fought Jardine with a jaw injury that would later require surgery and he declined to fight Evans in May.
Instead, Machida got the bout and knocked Evans out to claim the title. After that fight, White announced that Jackson had chosen to fight Evans and the two agreed to meet at UFC 107 after the conclusion of TUF.
Jackson supported that position publicly in numerous interviews but wrote in his blog Tuesday that White told him what to say.
“ … When Rashad got knocked out [by Machida at UFC 98], I told them I wanted to fight Machida for the belt, but Dana told me if I coach TUF against Rashad that I could fight Machida afterwards cause this was a different type of Ultimate Fighter show they were doing,” Jackson wrote. “After I signed the contract, Dana then changes his mind and says I have to fight Rashad and even told me what to say in the press and so my fans think I was scared to fight Machida. After all that, I still never complained and I did it all.”

Copyright © 2009 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
JCVD, WTF?
« Reply #394 on: September 27, 2009, 10:57:54 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Too Old for Action, http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...8:b27966834:z0

Quote:
Jean-Claude Van Damme, 49

At 49, Jean-Claude Van Damme doesn't put as many butts in seats as he used to. His 2008 release "JCVD" (that stands for Jean-Claude Van Damme for those of you on whom the subtlety of the title was lost) had a domestic gross of $470,691. But is this due to his inability to kick as high as he used to or the fact that audiences realized his movies just aren't that great? The "maturing" action star still appears to be in fighting shape. We hope so, for his sake at least. Not only is he costarring in 2010's "Universal Soldier: A New Beginning" with fellow faded actioner Dolph Lundgren, but he's also returning to the ring in real life in March 2010. He'll be going for five two-minute rounds against Thai Olympic boxing gold-medalist and muay thai fighter Somluck Kamsing. 

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 27, 2009, 08:40:49 PM »
The guy should have took the money and ran...when he still had it!!!!! :?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 01, 2009, 09:58:43 AM »
Comments on this season of TUF?

I admit to being engrossed in last night's episode.

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #397 on: October 01, 2009, 10:46:24 AM »
I have only been able to catch bits and pieces of this season of TUF. I did read the following this morning:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-kimbo093009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com

ObiJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 01, 2009, 11:20:38 AM »
So far Rampage has been keeping me laughing the whole time through the first three episodes.  ****Don't read below if you haven't seen the first three episodes and don't want it spoiled for ya friends :)  *****

The first fight with Abe Wagner was like something out of a crime scene . . . That guy was bleeding TONS, it kinda reminded me of seeing the head wounds some of the guys around here get at a Gathering, but Abe's wasn't spurting, it was FLOWING out of his head, like someone was changing the oil on his head and they had a pan underneath him, that fight was predictable, in that the wrestler was going to just shoot and possibly lay and pray, whatever Jiu-Jitsu skills Abe had with him, flowed out of his head with his blood and he lost . . .

On the second fight between Evans' #1 pick James McSweeney and Wes Shivers, I really think Shivers got robbed, he was active up to the time he gassed, he laid harder punches on McSweeney and even attempted some submissions but I guess they count off for when you get gassed now in TUF.  Cause McSweeney wasn't hurting the big guy, he had a guillotine but it was passed.

Kimbo and Roy Nelson . . . First, I gotta say that Nelson seems WAY too full of himself, he is his biggest fan, and with those two statements there, I'm sure alot of puns and humor could be formed at Roy's expense.  But I will save them to add to the ranting on the Underground forum.   But Dana even pointed it out that Roy wasn't even throwing hurting punches on Kimbo when he laid on him, I thought it was odd that Kimbo had trained with Rutten in the past for the Elite fights and that Rampage's team would've really worked more on his ground game.  I will say that my initial opinion of Kimbo from seeing some of his youtube vids and Elite fights that I wasn't impressed with his fight game and this fight showed the same, but I will say that he does present himself as a humble human being outside the Octagon on TUF and my opinion of him as a person has changed a little bit.

But as the saying goes, it isn't over til it's over . . .

Take Care Friends

- J
"If you had to fight for your life tomorrow...
...Would you change the way you train today?"

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 01, 2009, 12:48:51 PM »
I had previously sensed substantial substance to Kimbo (I saw a couple of interviews a couple of years ago wherein he wasn't simply being marketed as the ultimate scary ghetto negro) but last night was something else.

What a great soap opera this season is turning into!